• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JRPC
    Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2010

Forums ......

I have "successfully" installed a forum onto my homepage www.askjrpc.com under the link www.askjrpc.com/forums but I have heard in the past for security reasons one should create the forums so that the link equals www.forums.askjrpc.com OR either www.askjrpc.forums.com and I cant remember how it should be done off the top of my head or how to do it.

If anyone understands what I am trying to say please guide me through the process if it is neccessary. Again I am thinking of security reasons.

Any other tid bits of information concerning forums and the security of forums that you would like to share please reply with those as well.

Thanks in advance!

Jon Phillips
    www.askjrpc.com
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: Forums ......

forums.askjrpc.com

This means that you should create a subdmian in your CPanel.

However, I 'm not sure how this would help you with security...
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• JRPC
      Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2010

Is there a benefit to having it as:

www.forums.askjrpc.com

VS.

www.askjrpc.com/forums

- I am thinking about security from intrusions and for customer/client privacy as well.

- Would it be easier to manage as a subdomain?

Thanks!

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

To me, there is no difference.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• JRPC
          Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2010

Thanks Boss!

One last question, how would I publish to the subdomain using Blue Voda if I choose to go the subdomain route?

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Just like if the subdomain is simply a subfolder:

Set the "Publish" folder value, in the BV "publish" dialog box, to be "public_html/forums"

Since forums are quite complicated PHP scripts, I would avoid publishing in that folder. If you think it better you will see that there is no reason why you should publish there...
            Navaldesign

Comment

• JRPC
              Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2010

I have created my forums here do you see any problems with the way I created/setup the forums in terms of security?

Granted I have it set to only allow people that have a log in to view the forum contents but as far as security/convience goes, is where I created/published the forum fine?

My dilemna is that I want my forum to be secure and part of my websites but I want to be able to control/change aspects of my forums without having to change the items on my websites.

So I want the forums to work both independantly and in combination with my sites. Security is my biggest concern though.

Any thoughts will be welcome and appreciated.

- Regards!

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

There is nothing we can see regarding security.

phpBB is the most known free forum, it is secure enough. There is no reason to believe that there will be security issues.
                Navaldesign

Comment

• JRPC
                  Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2010

Naval,

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question(s) you have been a great help. You may mark this as resolved, lock it, whatever you wish.

Regards,

- JRPC

Comment

Working...
                  X