• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Google & Adsense

I thought this could be interesting to some:

News & Articles.

Re: About Google & Adsense

Hi Carlos,

I'm confused by your article - as it makes it appear that Google Adsense was not always a Google business. I don't see that they finally were able to buy the domain name as changing the Google Adsense business at all.

Just a couple weeks ago I was finally able to purchase my business domain name from another - but it didn't change my business at all. And I'm out there trying to purchase some other domain names related to my businesses - hopefully I'll get lucky on some.

I'm just confused as to whether I'm missing something?
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Beth,

You are right, Google's Adsense was always Google's Adsense Concept.. Adsense.com (as a website and a brand name) was never Google's until just recently. And yes, this would chage allot.. Lets take your example, and lets presume that you use business stationary like business cards, lettherheads and even have TV and Radion Commercials.. would you have been able to use that domain name in your advertising before you bought the domain..?? The answer is, offcourse, NO. But now, you can use the new domain as one of your bands.

The same applies to Google.. Adsense as a brand name was never Google's until they purchased the domain from Adsense Consulting who also released their rights of name copy right and patents.

The other point is, put it simply, if someone had a business and domain name 'abctoys.com'.. and a nother person was selling abctoys as one of their product range.. a third person has also started doing business under abctoys... The third person decides to buy the 'Name Rights' from the first person and so they do.. This automatically empowers the third person to stop the second person from using the name in their brand range.. In another example, Google gives the codes automatically and free of charge.. other people incorporate these codes in their products and sell the whole package (including the Google Code with the Google Name).. Google would have loved to stop this a long time ago, but there was always the question of: if this product is Adsense Code, does google really have a legal right to it? well, they didn't have their rights tightened up until just recently.

Comment

Carlos, I agree with you- but in Google's case - if you type adsense into any search engine - everything that appears is Google's - they had branded the name so well, that it probably was HURTING the consulting firm and makes sense for them to release the name.

I doubt that we'll see much change in the url's Google is using - accept now, yes they can use that one also and are - it takes you to the same page googleadsense does.

And in your example - that depends on a lot of things. If the 2nd abctoys was an established company - the 1st buying out the 3rd will not mean the 2nd can no longer use that name. However, if they had taken the name to try to get business from the 1st - they might have a problem - and might have had it even if the 3rd hadn't sold out.

I don't see purchasing this domain name as tightening up their rights - but good business sense. In the doing, maybe it does help their legal rights - but in your example - that 2nd company wouldn't have a problem if they were an established company and were not using the name because of the status, etc it got by the first or third. Personally, I wouldn't use the word google or adsense in any name I gave anything - like I wouldn't use Yahoo or "R Us" or many of the others that are established - as it's taking a chance that it could come back to bite you in the butt. (I take lots of those chances - but try not to with my names).
        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth.. it seems that you missed the article's message.. Google Adsense will always be Google Adsense.. but third party merchant's will be eliminated... third party merchants are, again, THOSE WHO MAKE PACKAGES AND INCORPORATE GOOGLE'S PRODUCTS IN THESE PACKAGES AND THEN SELL THESE PRODUCTS FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT. It's no different to someone selling Windows on burnt CD's.. Microsoft wouldn't be too pleased,, the only difference is, Unless Microsoft have rights over the NAME & BRAND NAME 'WINDOWS', their claim could be standing on shakey grounds. Similarly, Google had to get the name and brand sorted first before they start cleaning up the entire operation.. And we know, and they know, and the holly ghost knows that Adsense can be a little more organized..

The facts are no matter what you hear, if you own the name and the brand name and you have a patent or copy right protection, it really doesn't matter how established a business is, they are still going to lose. There is something called due care and deligence, when people operate a business, they should think these things carefully.. If I start selling hosting packages using the name VodaHost, but use a different server alltogether, do you think these guys here will just sit back and see it all happen????? I think not.. unless they are negligent towards their own business.. But what if I was using the name VodaHost and they were using the name VodaHost but neither had registered it.. and I go register it.. even if they have been in business many years before me, I will be able to stop them using the name.

As for purchasing the domain name is not tightening of rights... then what's the point in having the domain name to start with..???? why can't we use IP addresses and let everyone use whatever name they want to slap on the IP address....

Just like you, I wouldnt use the name Adsense or Google on my domain and that is exactly because of the protection and rights Google has over that those names.

Comment

Carlos,
            We agree on many of these points - but not on others - which is why I'm enjoying this so much.

There is a little guy in IL - who wasn't afraid when they were sued over their restaurant name - and their local attorney took on the case for close to nothing - and won. They were sued by a very large corporation for using the name - and were able to prove they had had it long before - and had it registered with the state, etc - and they did win. But, in most cases, it's not the legality that wins - just the fact the other has the bigger moneybelt - and that makes what you say happen.

By the way, that little Mom and Pop restaurant had a tremendous business - all from locals - and could have changed their name without a problem - and later did LOL - but only because they didn't want anyone to associate them with the other company after what had happened. They didn't want someone to think they promoted the other product after that (while the other one wasn't a restaurant - they have products that a restaurant might serve).

I'm still thinking about the people who are selling Google's services as a third party - in my opinion - the only way they should be able to do that - is if they have an agreement with Google to do so - no matter what the products name is - if it's a Google product. Like I have my affiliation with VH and some others - and am a reseller on some products - all with permission. I've seen people on line selling products that are FREE from the original company - and that makes me upset - and there are a lot of so called SEO and web companies doing it.

I think we're talking so many different aspects here - wish we could be talking face-to-face and discuss it in depth - as I don't think we disagree - just are looking from different angles at not quite the same issues.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
            X