Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one?

Who does not like christmas?

1. The whole meaning has gone out of it.

2. People are pressured into spending money they have not got.

3. I usually put on about a stone in weight.

4. We see people once a year and pretend how excited we are to see them.

5. The radio is full of those awful christmas songs.

6. Trying to go shopping is like being in the middle of a riot.

7. It starts earlier and earlier so people can make as much money as they can out of it.

8.Ohhhhhh theres loads more, sorry for all christmas lovers but it really is the worst part of the year for me.

Bahhhh Humbug
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk
    The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
    Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
    Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Re: Am I the only one?

hmm For me, the "magic" around this time of year has kinda gone. Everything linked to Christmas like frost in the mornings, the Cola advert on TV (lol) blah blah blah... But on the day its cool because I get to watch my niece be all happy with gifts and stuff. But you are right, it is getting earlier every year. The xmas songs are great though so yeah lol.

Teri

Comment

I have to agree with you Karel! For these and many more reasons. Don't even talk to me about the songs! I spent 3 weeks of December 2004 in Hong Kong, Beijing and Singapore ... the ONLY music I heard was Chrismas songs - sometimes with chinese lyrics, but the same old tunes. And people in santa outfits and decorated trees. And somehow I couldn't believe that the Chinese people as a whole are now celebrating Christmas in the sense that I understand it...

And then of course, the whole red suit and white beard thing ... in South Africa, where it happens to be high (hot!) summer at the time. Sweaty Santas everywhere!
      Surfing, I'm surfing. I'm hooked and I'm searching. I've fallen right into the net!
      Morning and evening, I'm flying and dreaming; oh, can't keep it out of my head!
      - Mike Oldfield: "Surfing"

www.leo-design.net
      http://www.redbubble.com/people/leoni
      Free e-cards at www.leo-design.net/gallery/

http://www.zazenstudio.com
      http://www.brainlab.co.za
      http://www.nelcrete.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by karel
        Who does not like christmas?

Here's my thoughts

I believe everything meaningful revolves around how it means to you. If you still believe in the true meaning of christmas, it is up to you to stand by this, your beliefs are something that cannot be taken away from you freely. Remember, stand by what you believe in, do not falter or cave in to peer pressure. Isn't that what we try to teach our children?

Pressured by who? Most people would tell you, "If you cannot afford it, please do not do it". This spending is for the moment only. The moment can be enjoyed in other ways. The real pressure to spend comes from within ourselves. Again, isn't this something we try to teach children?

That's usually the fun part though isn't it. Again, only inflicted by our own self doings and the lack of restraint. lol .... Isn't January fun in attempting to get it off. What else would we do in January, have to prepare for "Sweethearts Day" ...

This I can relate to. I agree, if I have no time the rest of the year why must I go through the tradition of seeing these folks. But if you looked at the other side of it. Are these the folks that you never ever want to see? Would you want to go through life never seeing them? Doesn't christmas bring those days that at least a yearly visit warrants the fact that you do know them? Perhaps we should be happy that they do not bother with us for the rest of the year ....

Try listening to these .... lol

The Twelve Pains of Christmans - Bob Rivers
        Twelve Days of Christmas Bob & Doug MacKenzie
        The Arrogant Worms - Things are Looking Bad for Santa - funny too!
        The Arrogant Worms Santas Gonna Kick Your Ass - too funny

True, although there are a ton of other alternatives, internet shopping, September shopping, home made presents, gift certificates, cash, - preparation is the name of the game..

7. It starts earlier and earlier so people can make as much money as they can out of it.

No doubt about it, it has become very commercialized. But again, we the human beings, respond to this form of advertising which lures up into spending money. Really, we are our own worst enemies.

8.Ohhhhhh theres loads more, sorry for all christmas lovers but it really is the worst part of the year for me.

You are really not alone, but you are the only one who can make a difference for yourself.

Bahhhh Humbug

Happy Holidays!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

You are really not alone, but you are the only one who can make a difference for yourself.
          I actually just let the whole thing pass me by, my partners family are still very much into it, so I have to keep a smile on my face and go through the motions. I know it is their own fault but so many familys get into debt and just can't afford to pay it back, these people making all the money don't care. It is the sad side of christmas and guess which couple of months will be the busiest time of the year for my site?

It sort of hit home when my partners daughter asked for her christmas money last week "Well I am getting it anyway, so why can't I have it early" There was the real meaning of christmas to her, it was not a gift, it was like we owed it her.

And she is actually not a bad child for her age, just a sign of the times.
          www.anxietynomore.co.uk
          The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
          Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
          Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

Yes Karel ... that is so very true ... and I would totally guess it would be a very busy time for you ....

We really need to take hold of ourselves, perhaps more advertising about being less commercial could possibly heal the future ... it has to happen at some point ...

To be truthful, one of the worst things I find about Christmas is figuring out what to buy ... seems you buy every darn thing you need all year long, or when you need it ... so then to just spend for the sake of spending at christmas just doesn't make sense ...

I would certainly join any group that was on the go to make people realize and not feel guilty about spending what they do not have for Christmas ... this would give me great meaning and purpose ... it's just so unnecessary and all stems from self-guilt ... or keeping up with the "Jones" ...

It has to start from us. I would like to see a New Tradition Started for future generations for sure! Because two days after Christmas, the amount of gifts or money spent, just doesn't mean anything anymore and that is just another sad side of it .....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
              Yes Karel ... that is so very true ... and I would totally guess it would be a very busy time for you ....

We really need to take hold of ourselves, perhaps more advertising about being less commercial could possibly heal the future ... it has to happen at some point ...

To be truthful, one of the worst things I find about Christmas is figuring out what to buy ... seems you buy every darn thing you need all year long, or when you need it ... so then to just spend for the sake of spending at christmas just doesn't make sense ...

I would certainly join any group that was on the go to make people realize and not feel guilty about spending what they do not have for Christmas ... this would give me great meaning and purpose ... it's just so unnecessary and all stems from self-guilt ... or keeping up with the "Jones" ...

It has to start from us. I would like to see a New Tradition Started for future generations for sure! Because two days after Christmas, the amount of gifts or money spent, just doesn't mean anything anymore and that is just another sad side of it .....

Step up to the front of the line ..... theres some wings waiting for you...

Comment

lol Kate .... are they hot & spicy ... like "suicide spicy" ... love wings ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

lol...anything that helps you fly!
                  I love buffalo shrimp with bleu cheese dressing dip...mmm

Comment

Originally posted by kassi59
                    lol...anything that helps you fly!
                    I love buffalo shrimp with bleu cheese dressing dip...mmm

Sounds Delicious I hope you bring that for the flight to Moon Camp......lol

Manny(THE ALIEN LEADER)
                    Click Here to See the Vodaliens Album & Join the Club!! Sendyour personal photo to be alienated to the Vodalien Group

www.astralengineering.net
                    www.masqueradecreations.com

Comment

okay, im gonna respond to this food in the moon trip thread,

we can't hijack this thread too ....

omg we are bad ....

flying over there now ....

lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
                        okay, im gonna respond to this food in the moon trip thread,

we can't hijack this thread too ....

omg we are bad ....

flying over there now ....

lol

Why not?.....lol......we are ALIENS...... and Aliens invade....lol

Manny(THE ALIEN LEADER)
                        Click Here to See the Vodaliens Album & Join the Club!! Sendyour personal photo to be alienated to the Vodalien Group

www.astralengineering.net
                        www.masqueradecreations.com

Comment

Should try to enjoy Christmas ...... someday you may look back on it and wish you enjoyed the good times, forget the bad, do what you can and be happy with that. Besides it hard on the other people whom you love, when you don't cheer up.

Anyhoo, that's my two cents.....try and have a good one.

Take care

oh and by the way

Happy Holidays.....lol

Comment

Here's my take on Christmas:

1. The whole meaning has gone out of it. The meaning of Christmas is a religious meaning that I never really had. For those who are very religious - I hope they have kept what it really is about in their hearts. I always felt Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday and I use Christmas to do the same - be grateful for all that I have in life.

2. People are pressured into spending money they have not got. Spending money on others has always been easy for me - but spending on myself is very difficult. Since I start Christmas shopping at the beginning of the year - I rarely have any shopping to do after Labor Day- I buy things as I see them for people. Now, I have less and less people to buy for - so those close to me sometimes get a good stash - cuz as I travel through the year, if I see something that I know they'd like, I buy it. I do not believe anyone should feel the HAVE to buy anything if they can't afford it. For a long time in my family we had very small limits on amounts that could be spent - to protect those with less money. And a friend's family only allowed gifts made from things already somewhere in the house - it's amazing how inventive people could be - and how much more some of those presents meant. I used to purchase stockings for anyone that I'd spend Christmas Day with - and loved getting little goodies for them. Rarely cost much - but everyone loved them.

3. I usually put on about a stone in weight. Now now, that must mean you're enjoying some good food! And it's up to each of us to control what we eat (yea, right Beth) And I'd help you gain - as Christmas season is usually when I make my homemade fudge - and it's defininitely a weight gainer.

4. We see people once a year and pretend how excited we are to see them. Long ago I put a stop to seeing people I won't be excited to see. If you aren't excited to see them - find someone else or somewhere else to spend the day.

5. The radio is full of those awful christmas songs. I used to own at least 15 Christmas cd's - they were stolen along with about 500 cd's from my storage locker. I love them in measured doses. And when my measured dose is over, I can change the station -

6. Trying to go shopping is like being in the middle of a riot. I've never cared much for shopping but unlike most of the world - since I don't NEED to buy anything at Christmas time, I occasionally go to the stores just cuz I enjoy seeing everyone rushing around and I don't need to :)

7. It starts earlier and earlier so people can make as much money as they can out of it. Actually, it doesn't seem to help stores that it starts earlier - but I do so hate seeing Santa and Christmas trees up before Thanksgiving. I ignore them. Now, though, needing to optimize on line- I realize I have to be thinking Christmas around the 4th of July.

8.Ohhhhhh theres loads more, sorry for all christmas lovers but it really is the worst part of the year for me. I'm sorry it's a bad time of year. But like I believe is said elsewhere in comments here- and like you say in your OWN book - we feel how we ALLOW ourselves to feel. So, you can allow yourself to be depressed or upset by the time of year - or you can live your life to it's fullest. I CHOOSE to live my life as if every day is my last - and love each day I wake up - whether it's Christmas or a non-descript day - I'm glad to be alive and kickin' and causing a fuss. And on the rare occasions I allow myself to feel self pity I look at my dogs and they again teach me how to stop and smell the roses like they do every day.
                            Beth
                            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

I use Christmas as a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. That was what it was intended for and because I am a person of the Christian faith, that is what we celebrate in our home. So for me...the meaning is there, always has been and always will be. So to say, "The whole meaning has gone out of it", is a feeling you have based on your life and environment. Ponder this quote for a few minutes: "Nothing means anything...until anything means nothing." Just food for thought. The meaning of Christmas? FAITH

Not me!! Like I said...I celebrate the birth of Christ...not Santa Claus and presents. So in our home, if we have extra money and feel like buying someone a gift at Christmas...we do. If we don't have the money (which we don't this year) then we just celebrate being with friends and family...no gifts or we make something. I always tell my adult sons....the best gift you can give me is a long handwritten letter about your favorite memories growing up. I have received those as gifts and every years handwritten letter is a little different. I couldn't receive a better gift than my son's expressing their love of life! I also do the same for them. The meaning of Christmas? LOVE

So What? and I mean that lovingly!! So you put on a little weight. I have been in countries where people die of starvation. Be thankful that you are in a position to put on a little weight. If it bothers you, then help someone who is hungry put on some weight. The meaning of Christmas? BEING THANKFUL FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND HELPING OTHERS!

And your point is???? If you have the ability to make someone else smile even if it's just once a year...is that not worth the effort? Don't think about yourself and how you feel, but instead think about others and what you can do for them. The meaning of Christmas? HAPPINESS AND JOY TO OTHERS!

OMG!! And what is the problem with this? Some of the best songs ever recorded are Christmas songs. Full of Joy, Love and Meaning! Every Christmas song I've ever heard has meaning to it...unlike other songs throughout the year, that I can't even understand, let alone try and figure out what they mean. As posted by leoni above, around the world, people from all walks of life and cultures come together to celebrate joy and peace. I think we need to play those tunes ALL year long! The meaning of Christmas? PEACE AND HARMONY!

I'm not much of a shopper, so I avoid all of that whenever possible. But there are times I do have to go out. How do I handle this? I put on the biggest smile I can find...I look everyone in the eyes as I pass them by and wait for them to smile back at me. I am not in a hurry. If I come across someone who appears to be rude or about to start a riot..I find it a challenge to be as nice as I can be. I love having a positive effect on people and knowing that I could make a difference. The meaning of Christmas? MAKE A DIFFERNCE IN SOMEONES LIFE!

Or....another way to look at it....It starts earlier and earlier so that we can celebrate Christmas sooner and longer! I know people who celebrate Christmas year round...again...depends on what Christmas means to you. As far as people making as much money as they can...Is that a bad thing? Whether they make the money in October or December..so??? I say..more power to them and God bless them! If they have something for sale that someone wants to buy....regardless of when....I think that's a good thing! Let's celebrate the ability to make money!! The Meaning of Christmas? BEING BLESSED TO BE ABLE TO WORK AND SUPPORT OUR FAMILIES!

I do have to disagree with you on this, as you can see. Obviously...I LOVE Christmas and the meaning (s) it brings to me and my family. If I may suggest something to you. You might want to go back to your (1.) comment and try and discover a meaning that works for not only you, but for others in your life that you are close to. Concentrate during this time of year on all the good in your life and not the bad. Meditate or pray (whatever your choice) on how YOU can make a difference in someone else's life and take the focus off of you. It is truely amazing how it comes back to you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS (to those who believe in Christ).....HAPPY HANUKKAH (to my Jewish Friends)...HAPPY HOLIDAYS (to all people)

Bahhhh Humbug (Blessings to the Grinch!)
                              Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Working...
                              X