Canada query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada query.

Hope you can help. I remember reading that in some areas of Canada you have a phenomenon called (?????) were an hour or two after the sun goes down the upper atmosphere forms a thin layer of ice crystels.
    Because the sun is still at an angle to see the upper atmosphere, it shines into these crystels & lights up the towns below.
    Any ideas what this phenomenon is called.

Thanks
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Re: Canada query.

I don't think this is the phenomenon you are are talking about, but its near the poles, Canada might be close enough for it. The phenomenon I am thinking of is Aurora Borealis (Or Northern Lights). But that doesn't quite coincide with the conditions you described so I could be wrong. I'm not from Canada, so thats the only phenomena I know of that happens in places way up north

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

You are exactly right Watdaflip......good going.

Comment

Hi, the Aurora Borealis is quite common & happens because of solar flares from the sun, which intern upsets our northern magnetic poles & occasionally mess around with a few sat alights. It can be seen in the UK, up in Scotland.

This one was defiantly something to do with ice forming in the upper atmosphere & the sun shining on it like a mirror & lighting up areas of Canada. Bit like the picture below.
        It was a question that came up in a quiz & the daft thing is that I know the name & can’t remember. (Getting old) lol.

Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

hmmm?

Not sure what you may be talking about, have you googled optical phenomena? Or perhaps cirrus clouds, halos, pillars, arcs & sundogs?

I'll do some googling later, on my way out.....I thought for sure you were talking about the Northern Lights......sorry about that.

Comment

Yeah thats why I didn't think you were thinking of Aurora Borealis because it didn't have anything to do with ice. Well, I don't know much about atmospheric phenomena, nor do I know where to start to find out about a specific one. Best of lucky finding your answer though.

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
              Hi, the Aurora Borealis is quite common & happens because of solar flares from the sun, which intern upsets our northern magnetic poles & occasionally mess around with a few sat alights. It can be seen in the UK, up in Scotland.

This one was defiantly something to do with ice forming in the upper atmosphere & the sun shining on it like a mirror & lighting up areas of Canada. Bit like the picture below.
              It was a question that came up in a quiz & the daft thing is that I know the name & can’t remember. (Getting old) lol.

I saw the Aurora Borealis from my back garden, in Manchester, a couple of Summers ago and it was absolutely awesome. It's an experience I will never, ever forget as long as I live. It's something I'd always wanted to witness and thought I'd have to go on a Midnight Cruise or something to see.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
                Yeah thats why I didn't think you were thinking of Aurora Borealis because it didn't have anything to do with ice. Well, I don't know much about atmospheric phenomena, nor do I know where to start to find out about a specific one. Best of lucky finding your answer though.
                Hey, Watdaflip! Long time, no see, my friend. It's nice to see you posting here. You keeping busy and how's school?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post

Chris, could it be the Lowitz Arc? See here.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Comment

Here you go ... Meet the "Wonders of Canada"

You will find this plenty exciting and it has been a regular broadcast on television as well ....

Nice to see Nova Scotia make it in the Top 7 for Pier 21

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

A few more links to look at........

Good one LE, should of been the Bay of Fundy though.

Comment

LOL .. I know what you're talking about .. is it when the whole sky lights up in different colours at night?

Man .. this is sad I can't even remember the name!
                          Best regards,
                          Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
                            LOL .. I know what you're talking about .. is it when the whole sky lights up in different colours at night?

Man .. this is sad I can't even remember the name!

Okay Jeremy, put the bottle down ... lol

And read the thread ... duh ... lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you all. (you got it Amanda) http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/...20to%20enlarge.
                              This is all part of a very long & on going quiz. Part of the clue was! You will be illuminated by this nightlight phenomenon in the north?
                              With this type of quiz it seemed far too easy for the answer to be northern lights or Aurora Borealis, and didn’t fit well with the rest of the on going quiz. (I am hoping others are thinking it is this). I thought I was looking for the nick name of this phenomenon that I had read about, but it was actually the real name. (Noctilucent clouds) which can mean nightlight clouds.
                              So many thanks to you all, you have steered me on the right track. Plus this fits in perfectly with the next lot of questions.

Thanks again.
                              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                              X