• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vkwd7
    Private

• Jun 2008

newbie - a retiree in search of a site for seniors and retirees

Hi to all members,
    Recently after retirement from employment I was eaten by a bug to make a web site for the seniors.I am 62 . I never learned web desigining.During search I came across vodahost.It is helpful and good for newbies.But even after viewing all the tutorials , I still have some doubts as to whether to procedd from a scratch or use templates or just copy some suitable site!Also at this age whether I will be able to do it or not? some instrucions/tips about doing it!
    Help is welcome and thanks !
    vkwd7
  • Tom Finley
    Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Re: newbie - a retiree in search of a site for seniors and retirees

Welcome to VodaLand!

Here's what I would do next: Open a new page in BlueVoda; make a square with the Shape tool; color the square; check it out with the Preview button. Do the same with the Text tool. Try to put a photo on your page with the Image tool, Preview it. Doing these things will build your confidence and whet your apetite for more.

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi vkwd7,

Welcome to VodaTalk where "Learning is the main subject"

Every one of us here are still learning and learning something new all the time.
      If you have the never say die outlook and willing to learn no matter how
      long it takes, then you can try from scratch using the hands on approach.
      This way you will always be in control of your website with minimized dependence on others for help.

If you are in a hurry you can take the shorter route by using templates
      and learn as you go along. Check out the Voda free downloads and check
      out the VodaTemplates here.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• D'son
        Major General

• Apr 2008

Hi vkwd7,
        Tom and zuriatman are exactly right, play around with it see what it can do, move things around, change the sizes, backgrounds etc. Have fun with it, nothing will happen. Your computer will not blow up, you can't make a mistake because if you don't like something "cut" it out and try something else. Remember if you like it save it, the first page you make should be saved as index, nothing else. You'll be amazed at what you will be able to create with very little effort. Good luck and we're here if you need us.
        Reguards
        Ed
        www.dsondesigns.com
        www.marseillesyouthsports.com
        www.300hitter.com
        www.bigjk.net
        How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

• asirimarco
          Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Hi there - jump in with both feet. it is fun and addictive. i built my first pages with BV when I was 67 - and am still learning new things every day from reading the forums you will get lots of help here
          Ann
          www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
          www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
          www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

• jcaywood
            Major

• Dec 2007

Welcome vkwd7.
            I started in January, 2008 with no idea of how to create a web site. I am 60 and retired and my wife wanted a web site after selling on that big auction site for a while. Quite honestly I was worried about 'could I do it?' and costs because I see local ads where someone will create your 3 page web site for just $400 - $500.
            I now have two sites with over 300 pages and thinking about a third.
            So I just jumped in but I have to warn you: it is addictive! And it's fun!
            So come on in and play. If you just can't figure something out, someone on here will be glad to help. Probably a lot of 'someones' will help.
            Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
            Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
            Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

• cathrn
              Second Lieutenant

• May 2008

Hi,
              YOU CAN DO IT!! It seemed totally impossible to me a few months ago and now it is not only possible, but fun. There is still tons to learn, it will never be perfect, but if I can do it I'm sure you can. But yes, it is confusing at first so just keep doing simple stuff until the ah-ha moments come back to back.
              All the best
              Catherine
              www.catherinebuchanan.com

Comment

• Collectors-info
                General

• Feb 2006

Hi, plenty of help here when you need it. Glad to have some members in their 60's on board, you have just made us 50 year olds feel better. LOL

Good luck with the site.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• philipc9635
                  Lieutenant Colonel

• Jul 2006

When you come across something new it can be very daunting. Give it time and have a play around and you will be surprised how quick you will learn. Good Luck.
                  Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

• jeffkaris
                    Sergeant

• Jun 2008

Welcome. The baby boomers retiring now should help you.
                    -FunnyPicz

Comment

• sedona
                      Major General

• Jun 2007

Hi there vkwd7,

Of course you can do it! (As you have already been assured by the good folks above.)

And you have found a great set of tools for your aspirations in Blue Voda and VodaHost.

The website builder is easy to learn at least the basics, and as you progress, the trickier bits will come into focus as well. If you didn't know the English language High School level grammar would look pretty daunting but we start in kindergarden don't we? And by going through the lower grades we're ready for it when we get there. Same here my friend.

And you have the tutorials to watch, these forums both live and archived, and a community of the most knowledgeable and generous co-members on the web to assist you when you need it.

LadyEye has written a tutorial for newbies that you should find very helpful. Find any of her posts (your first 'assignment') and click on it in her signature.

The Vodaland members respect your efforts. When we see you doing the best you can on your own, help, when you need it, will be abundant.

Welcome and the best of luck to you....
                      Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Working...
                      X