Geometric Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometric Challenge

If the normal of an equilateral triangle is the square root of three-quarters, what is the sum of its three sides, and how is this proved?

Definition: A normal is the perpendicular line which measures from the vertex of the triangle to its base, meeting it at right-angles.
    Hint: It is not necessary to know that the square-root of three-quarters is approx. 0.8660254...

...and you don't need to be an Einstein to work it out, but knowledge of Pythagoras is definitely an advantage.
    I have a PhD in Nothing for presenting a thesis on Nothing and proving that:
    "it is impossible for nothing to exist because if it did then it would be something!"

Re: Geometric Challenge

Bite me!
    Karen Williams
    Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

LOL...please do not take offense! This is just too mathmatical for me after dealing with daily business issues. Brain fog sets in and then my naughty pleasures...such as booze...then oooops...open mouth...insert foot...well ya know the drill...lol.

My twin brothers would never let me live this down, if they saw my response...lol.
      Last edited by karenwms63; 07-20-2008, 10:29 AM. Reason: added content
      Karen Williams

Comment

lol...

....a little MAC there.....lmbo!

Comment

Wat is that ? Any punishment for us !
          I m havin headache now.
          Can you solve this challenge : Whats the color of the underwear that G.Bush wore on thanksgiving day. lol
          Jus kidding. i love arithmetical maths but this is too high level geometry for me.
          Regards
          Attraction Passes
          Adventure Travel
          Europe Train Pass
          www.mirabeltravel.ca

Comment

I dislike math can you put it in laymens terms so my brain won't hurt.
            sigpicJoe
            Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
            The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

I was suitably amused by the first, very prompt reply. It was a perfect opportunity not to be wasted, but the first step in working out the answer I will now give:

In a right-angled triangle the longest side, known as the hypotenuse, is always, when squared (as in multiplied by itself, or simply drawn as a square), equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

So three-quarters + Y = Z, where, in an equilateral triangle, Y = quarter of Z.
              The square-root of Z is one side, multiply by 3 and you have the answer.

This was one of the theorems of the famous mathematician, Pythagoras whose followers summed up his work with a sort of religious chant which went "All is Numbers, All is Numbers..."
              I have a PhD in Nothing for presenting a thesis on Nothing and proving that:
              "it is impossible for nothing to exist because if it did then it would be something!"

Comment

I am no chauffer and not a mathamatician either, but that's just too deep, and head cramping for me. I'm going back to the deep!!
                Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

I know the theorem (a² + b² = c² where c is the hypotenuse while a and b are the legs of the triangle) but to apply it to your post and proof it....

well, let's just say that's the limit of my geometrical capacities at this stage of my life...LOL.

"All is Numbers, All is Numbers, All is Numbers,..."

Ok....UNCLE!!!!!
                  Karen Williams

Comment

My Son is a Math Teacher working on a doctorate.. I believe this is the Pythagorean Principal.

As a side note. Did you know that they Pythagoreans were a secret society back in the day and they even KILLED spies for penetration into their society. Many of our current math prinicipals were cussed and discussed in this Elite Society of Middle ages along with other Scholarly principals of the day and all of their inter workings were kept fairly secret along with rank and members. Its not truly known if Pythagoras actually discovered this method but its attributed to him. To see how far weve come.. the last person to PROVE this equation of a multiside geometric shape was a 17 year old.. and i forget what country he lives in.. but it wasnt strictly a triangular shape.. but a shape that he was able to disect into multiple triangles and was thereby able to give the exact square dimensions of the object...

Now .. put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

from the BIG MAC SLAP! hehe!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I was going to solve this! I got out three of the crocheted items my wife sells on her site and laid them out into a triangle. Then I got my laser measuring device and started measuring...and then a rerun of American Idol came on the TV and I thought "what the hell?"

I don't have ADD - it's just that-Oh look! A bunny rabbit!
                      Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
                      Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
                      Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

LOL!

o my......

this was very entertaining.......

Comment

Working...
                        X