• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marincky
    General

• Apr 2006

Painter fined for smoking in van

Whether you smoke or not, whether you think smoking is right or not, I implore anyone to agree that this news story is NOT an infringment of human rights...

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Basically this guy has been fined for smoking in his OWN vehicle!!!

It is now agains the law in the UK to smoke anywhere in the workplace.

As I work from home does this mean I am smoking illegaly in my own house?????
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.
  • jkadin
    Brigadier General

• Jan 2008

Re: This is getting beyond a joke now....

Theres has been rumors here in the states I don't know if they are true or not 1 smoking while the vehicle is in motion 2 this one is possible no smoking in a vehicle with a child under the age of 5.
    sigpicJoe
    Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
    The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

• opendezracer
      Sergeant

• May 2008

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
      Whether you smoke or not, whether you think smoking is right or not, I implore anyone to agree that this news story is NOT an infringment of human rights...

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

YES GO TO JAIL!! ha ha .........ODR

Comment

• DCOFFICESERVICES
        Special Status

• Oct 2007

It's a big joke. I bought a van on which I paid VAT, I pay the annual Road Tax, I spend about £100 on diesel per week (which is mostly tax) and I am forced to put a 'No Smoking' sticker in it. It's all wrong!!!

I think however, if your van is not signed up, you can get away with it.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

California (God Help Us!) has a number of communities in the greater SF Bay Area that have successfully passed City Ordinances prohibiting smoking in apartments, condominiums, and other close-proximity dwellings, essentially making it a punishable crime (misdemeanor) to light up in one's own house (especially condo owners).

Unlike hotels which have designated "No Smoking" rooms and floors, apartment complexes cannot seem to extend the logic to designate certain buildings within a complex either Smoking or Non-Smoking similarly, and have opted on the side of "Caution" (in whose book, I ask) to eliminate the risk of 2nd-hand smoke filtering into other units and "killing other innocent residents."

I don't know ..... this nonsense of what I conclude to be "social hysteria" is getting out of control: being hyper-sensitive to citizens who legally choose to smoke, favoring multi-lingual ballots, preventing parents from disciplining their children within reasonableness and LAW (and so on), and the overwhelming dictate to always be "politically correct" and "socially sensitive" has overtaken common sense and broken the Spirit of any National Pride and Morale!!!!

How long must we suffer being brianwashed by what was once the silent minority (non-nationals and fringe elements) that it is wrong to stand up for what is Right, and that our "Free Speech" does not apply when merely trying to maintain Status Quo??? Since when did the non-assimilative foreign groups get greater favor and protection than true Citizens and law-abiding folk?

It is not really about Smoking, you know .... it is symptomatic of a society that is imploding rather than deal with accountability for the larger, more critical issues that have gone un-addressed far too long, like Energy, global warming, food supply, and legal population emigration (among other global issues).

History shows us that it easier to pick on a visible segment of the population to "correct" (rehabilitate) toward an improbable ideal that it is to influence the majority to a sembelence of affinity. Death camps, "ethnic cleansing" and so many other examples prove this. Even the recent admission by the Government that certain areas of London are "no-go" areas for non-Islamic persons shows the opposite side of the same coin, where if a small group stays loud enough long enough, they are bound to bully their way over civilized and law-abiding society!

I feel for my Brit Brothers ..... "I say enough is enough!" Time for you all to plan a 'Tea Party' of your own.....

IMO
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Marincky
            General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
            California (God Help Us!) has a number of communities in the greater SF Bay Area that have successfully passed City Ordinances prohibiting smoking in apartments, condominiums, and other close-proximity dwellings, essentially making it a punishable crime (misdemeanor) to light up in one's own house (especially condo owners).

Unlike hotels which have designated "No Smoking" rooms and floors, apartment complexes cannot seem to extend the logic to designate certain buildings within a complex either Smoking or Non-Smoking similarly, and have opted on the side of "Caution" (in whose book, I ask) to eliminate the risk of 2nd-hand smoke filtering into other units and "killing other innocent residents."

I don't know ..... this nonsense of what I conclude to be "social hysteria" is getting out of control: being hyper-sensitive to citizens who legally choose to smoke, favoring multi-lingual ballots, preventing parents from disciplining their children within reasonableness and LAW (and so on), and the overwhelming dictate to always be "politically correct" and "socially sensitive" has overtaken common sense and broken the Spirit of any National Pride and Morale!!!!

How long must we suffer being brianwashed by what was once the silent minority (non-nationals and fringe elements) that it is wrong to stand up for what is Right, and that our "Free Speech" does not apply when merely trying to maintain Status Quo??? Since when did the non-assimilative foreign groups get greater favor and protection than true Citizens and law-abiding folk?

It is not really about Smoking, you know .... it is symptomatic of a society that is imploding rather than deal with accountability for the larger, more critical issues that have gone un-addressed far too long, like Energy, global warming, food supply, and legal population emigration (among other global issues).

History shows us that it easier to pick on a visible segment of the population to "correct" (rehabilitate) toward an improbable ideal that it is to influence the majority to a sembelence of affinity. Death camps, "ethnic cleansing" and so many other examples prove this. Even the recent admission by the Government that certain areas of London are "no-go" areas for non-Islamic persons shows the opposite side of the same coin, where if a small group stays loud enough long enough, they are bound to bully their way over civilized and law-abiding society!

I feel for my Brit Brothers ..... "I say enough is enough!" Time for you all to plan a 'Tea Party' of your own.....

IMO
            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• limebrook1
              Brigadier General

• Jun 2005

In England, if you work from home, and people visit you at home in the course of your work, then yes, it is illegal for you to smoke at home!!!!! (although I would think this probably only applies to your office).
              Trish
              www.Limebrook.com
              www.MountainWalk.co.uk
              www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
              www.TucsonForBeginners.com
              www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

• Marincky
                General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by limebrook1 View Post
                In England, if you work from home, and people visit you at home in the course of your work, then yes, it is illegal for you to smoke at home!!!!! (although I would think this probably only applies to your office).
                My office is my front room too so damned if any government body is going to dicatate to me what I can and can't do in my own front room!

It's like this smacking children law... bring it on... It won't make a blind bit of difference to me or many other sensibly minded person on this planet. No one tells me how I can and can't bring up my own child.

The people who tend to make these rules don't live in the real world, in their tight security country cottages they don't see what goes on in these inner city estates where children are left to run riot through lack of discipline, parental control.. and in most cases lack of fatherly discipline!!

This is just one more step towards my decision to plan my emigration to another country.... There must be somewhere out there where we are allowed to live our life the way we want to? Somewhere where I can smoke, eat a fry up, drink a beer, not get fined for overfilling my bin, buy a pound of cheese ( what the hell is a kilo anyway?), bring my child up to respect others, without someone telling me it's wrong!!

Comment

• Karen Mac
                  General

• Apr 2006

Re: Painter fined for smoking in van

LOL.. I firmly believe that every kid alive needs the stupid MAC smacked off him at least once. And I dont mean abused. I mean smacked because you love them and cant accept that behavior. Some experts would disagree and claim it breeds violence.. but any REAL parent living ina REAL world knows that a good spanking is often the only solution .. it lets the kid know youre really upset with that behavior.. and it lets you vent frustration at the same time. Allowing a Child to run amok and out into the street is going to bring it some serious pain... when that moving van drives over it. Spanking is minimal and reinforces that behavior comes with a consequence that does not equal TIME OUT. Time out is like doing life on the installmant plan in prison these days. They go on vacation there...do a time out on drive buys, drug runs, and home break ins, rape and murder.. state gives them 3 squares a day, a bed, color tv, free cable...and then puts them back on the street.

I agree that not everyone should have to put up with cigerette smoke.. but they are getting stupid with it. They will sit outside and suck up carbon monoxide, factory and refinery burn off while sucking up their martini... but just light a cigerette and the world ends..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• SAman
                    Major General

• Mar 2007

Here Here!!!
                    Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

• sedona
                      Major General

• Jun 2007

You're spot on, Ramsey, it is a violation of human rights! You are absolutely right to think so.

Although there are many individuals on both sides of this and other social issues who respect each other's basic human rights, when the government gets involved and makes ridiculous laws such as these all reason seems to ge out the window. When we created governments would we have done so if we had known they would eventually legislate the way we would choose to live our lives in our own vehicles and homes?

I am a smoker who, before said laws were passed, would never have dreamt of lighting up in a restaurant while folks nearby were eating, but am sick and tired of being a second class citizen and potentially a criminal because of the exercise of my supposed rights to do as I please.

On our recent trip to Europe I basically went a month without smoking. Of course, all Inns were non smoking but most were non smoking anywhere on the property. Makes it kinda hard to have that last smoke before bedtime when you gotta get dressed and walk 200 yards down to the street to do it. Not to say it's not as bad here. As Vasili has eloquently commented the politically correct folks are running amuk with their agendas and gaining momentum with every success, sterilizing the world for themselves and the unwilling as they go.

I don't smoke in our home but mostly do so on our main patio. During bad weather I sometimes just step outside our back door about 3 feet from my desk which is covered, Lady moves in next door and announces to me that my doing so seriously bothers her and her daughter and so of course I should refrain from this practice. I like to get along but after consideration I tell her to blip off and now she makes my life miserable in every way she can because of my obstinace.

I'd say come on over (there's a nice place for rent on the creek just down the road) but the US is not the protector of freedom it once was (at least not our freedom.) Bush and Chaney have used 9/11 to effectively eradicate the rights of the individual in the name of protecting ourselves from all danger (ourselves?). The US is becoming as close to being a martial law state as it can be without being declared. And you wouldn't want to go through immigration, mate. Having just spent a year on that nightmare I can tell you that now that it is in the hands of The Homeland Security Department the Official Presumption is that anyone applying for or sponsoring residency is a criminal engaged in some sort of criminal activity that just needs to be uncovered (and will be by god).

Alas, despite my frustration and anger about the way things are going I have no answers and don't see a way to return to sanity and common sense. I fear we've given away too much of ourselves to find the will to take anything back.
                      Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

• Collectors-info
                        General

• Feb 2006

Ken,
                        Lady moves in next door and announces to me that my doing so seriously bothers her and her daughter and so of course I should refrain from this practice. I like to get along but after consideration I tell her to blip off, and now she makes my life miserable in every way she can because of my obstinacy.
                        Personally I would be very apologetic & not smoke a cigarette near her house & then have a big bonfire instead. If this is not allowed? Greens or cabbage cooked on a barbecue will give fewer complaints after about 1 week if cooked at around 1 or 2am.
                        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
                          Ken,

Personally I would be very apologetic & not smoke a cigarette near her house & then have a big bonfire instead. If this is not allowed? Greens or cabbage cooked on a barbecue will give fewer complaints after about 1 week if cooked at around 1 or 2am.
                          LOLOLOLOLOL

Apparently there is a deep ressonant global grumbling after all!

Comment

• sedona
                            Major General

• Jun 2007

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
                            Ken,

Well I do something similar, Chris. She's a vegetarian. Our little laundromat is closest to my house so she has to come over here to do her laundry and I have her schedule worked out. I'm always cooking steaks at that time.

Oh and she has a vegetarian doggy. I throw the bones over the fence.
                            Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by sedona View Post
                              Our little laundromat is closest to my house so she has to come over here to do her laundry and I have her schedule worked out. Oh and she has a vegetarian doggy.
                              Now, see....if it was me, I would collect her little doggy-doo's left where they shouldn't be and "pre-treat" one of her favorite dryers in the laundromat......

But I am happy to see you have your own little program of "social justice" and that being an adult hasn't sucked the mischeviousness out of you yet!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X