Children Born Between 1930 & 1970

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children Born Between 1930 & 1970

To ALL The Kids Who Were Born Born in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s !!

First we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
    As children, we would ride in cars with no seat bests or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank sode pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day and we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts our of s****s and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have ***********s, Nintendo, ****es, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we brike the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?
    Cindy

www.countrydesigns.biz
    www.countrydesigns.biz/400.shtml

Re: Children Born Between 1930 & 1970

Nice one Cindy. One thing I remember is going round to a friends house and just letting myself in the back door - doors were never locked! I mean, you couldn't trust kids with a key, they might lose it!
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

I didn't actually write this one, it was sent to me, but I laughed hysterically, I hadt o share it.
      Cindy

www.countrydesigns.biz
      www.countrydesigns.biz/400.shtml

Comment

lol it realy made me think about my childhood and how wonderfull the time we had OUTSIDE learning to become engineers or in the military when we used to build dens or have a war game etc so i thank you for making me remeber those days in a what was a dull day, i will print that of and stick it on my fridge for my 4 kids to see tonight lol im sure they will just stare at it and pull a funny face then go straight on to the playstaion lol
        The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
        Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

See me running with sicssors...........................

As a 'Sixties' baby I Oh so relate!!!!

As a business owner I don't want to hire any one who does not fit in that era. They are just not worth it.
          -------------------------------------------
          Shelly

www.ohs****sagleidaho.com

Comment

You know you're getting older when you can read through that and think "Yeah, I can remember doing that!" lol

Great post. :)
            Kellie

Cozy Cabin Candles and Crafts
            http://www.ccabincandles.com

Comment

I remember those days. Mother fed us ,dressed us and sent us out doors.There we stayed till lunch, ate and back out till supper time.After supper we had to do dishes before we could sit down to listen to the radio. try to get a kid to help around the house today. My grandkids have more stuff then carters pills ,but ask them to do a chore and you would think you had beaten them, and lord , trying to get them away from the t.v. or computer and go out side.NO Way. Koriska

Comment

this really made me remember all those things but particularly playing cowboys and indians on our horses flat out on unmade roads in the burbs; and horses had right of way on our roads. And we never wore helmets ...

so much pioneering and bravery ..

but what generations did/are the regulators and scaremongers from ... ???

so many rules and regulations for what we loved and had no fear of or for ... and generations of children have missed out on .... has created a snowball affect resulting in a world largely governed by fear ... could this be the intention?

kym, merlin & tala
                creating white majick
                www.whiteshepherds.com.au
                www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
                www.merlinsmajick.com
                www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

Originally posted by OhScrap View Post
                  As a 'Sixties' baby I Oh so relate!!!!
                  As a business owner I don't want to hire any one who does not fit in that era. They are just not worth it.
                  It is hard to even put into words the radical shifts in society we can see as so obvious......remembering how we used to marvel at the fact it was our Grandparents who we thought were somehow of 'hero' status, having been born in the horse and buggy era only to see the rise of radio and later TV, and then to live to see men on the moon!

Now, we struggle to understand how our parents used to host "Cocktail Parties" where people would actually dress up to socialize for a meal, and how difficult it is for us to have a simple barbeque with a handful of friends without something "going wrong"!

I can completely understand the aspect of looking to hire only those who "understand" but am so full of trepidation when it comes to avoiding being sued for being too "unjustifiably selective" that I never advertise openings anymore: I merely create positions and personally recruit to fill them, hiring the old-school way as "an agreement" and mostly based on personality and upon what potential I recognize.........

Yes Kym, it seems there are many levels of 'fear' that have become pervasive in today's society, and much of it I believe comes from our malaise in allowing "political correctness" to morph beyond control!
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi Cindy

I loved this and have sent in a copy to one of the presenters on a Radio station, you never know, I may hear a couple read out on a London radio station they do sometimes read out E-Mails sent in by listeners.
                    Mirelle

Comment

Originally posted by Koriska View Post
                      I remember those days. Mother fed us ,dressed us and sent us out doors.There we stayed till lunch, ate and back out till supper time.After supper we had to do dishes before we could sit down to listen to the radio. try to get a kid to help around the house today. My grandkids have more stuff then carters pills ,but ask them to do a chore and you would think you had beaten them, and lord , trying to get them away from the t.v. or computer and go out side.NO Way. Koriska
                      Doing the dishes - don't I remember that! Only way I could get out of it was to plead lots and lots of homework! Now my son won't even put his plates in the dishwasher!
                      Trish
                      www.Limebrook.com
                      www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                      www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
                      www.TucsonForBeginners.com
                      www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

You still use plates?
                        OMG.....here in the US it seems like people have forgotten how to even cook! Everything is microwaved and gobbled up in under 5 minutes, half the time standing around the kitchen sink! You can see this by what people are actually buying in the supermarkets.....(everything prepared, frozen, snacks, etc.)

Then everyone vegetates in front of a screen of their choice for 3+ hours before they pass out to start another day.......

Yeah....I prefer the days when even though we all had long hair and crazy fashions, we still had Class and a sense of common courtesy....

The music was way better too! Everything was in English you could understand and the riffs rocked you down to your soul! LOLOL

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                          You still use plates?
                          OMG.....here in the US it seems like people have forgotten how to even cook! Everything is microwaved and gobbled up in under 5 minutes, half the time standing around the kitchen sink! You can see this by what people are actually buying in the supermarkets.....(everything prepared, frozen, snacks, etc.)

Then everyone vegetates in front of a screen of their choice for 3+ hours before they pass out to start another day.......

Yeah....I prefer the days when even though we all had long hair and crazy fashions, we still had Class and a sense of common courtesy....

The music was way better too! Everything was in English you could understand and the riffs rocked you down to your soul! LOLOL

I guess it is probably the same here ... but I don't see it much in my circle of friends ... its much cheaper, healthier and fun to have dinner parties and picnics and stuff over a bottle of wine ...

I don't miss the long hair on men .. I think men should look like men ... lol ...
                          kym, merlin & tala
                          creating white majick
                          www.merlinsmajick.com
                          www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

Originally posted by whiteshepherd View Post
                            . I think men should look like men ... lol ...
                            I can see that being important, sure! Now....if they would only act like men (all the time), and demonstrate a modicum of class and finesse!

LOL It's hard to find real "peers" to hang out with.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                              I can see that being important, sure! Now....if they would only act like men (all the time), and demonstrate a modicum of class and finesse!

LOL It's hard to find real "peers" to hang out with.....
                              aaaaaaar... so true ... lol ...
                              kym, merlin & tala
                              creating white majick
                              www.merlinsmajick.com
                              www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X