• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Code-Burnt-Gemini
    Major

• Jul 2006

Fuel Prices ...

I am just curious as to the various fuel prices across the globe. My wife and I run a landscaping business. We design, install, and maintain. Through all of it we are paying sometimes upwards of $40.00 per day. I can remember about 7 years ago fuel was only $.99/gal. now for the cheap stuff its $2.89/gal. I dont see how transportation intensive companies are going to be able to stay in the game. If fuel prices continue to soar we will all be walking...

just a thought ...
    brenT
  • ez-ez
    Special Status

• Mar 2006

Re: Fuel Prices ...

Originally posted by Code-Burnt-Gemini
    I am just curious as to the various fuel prices across the globe. My wife and I run a landscaping business. We design, install, and maintain. Through all of it we are paying sometimes upwards of $40.00 per day. I can remember about 7 years ago fuel was only $.99/gal. now for the cheap stuff its $2.89/gal. I dont see how transportation intensive companies are going to be able to stay in the game. If fuel prices continue to soar we will all be walking...

just a thought ...
    You are absolutely right.. There is so much that one wonders about when it comes to Fuel Prices, the Transportation Business is one of many who are suffering including the average household.

The problem is that the end user ends up paying for it.. The producer increases the price to the refinery who increases the price to the wholesaler who increases the price to the retailer who increases the price to the consumer.. But along with that comes the side effects, your fruit and vegetables becomes dearer because the farmer pays more for tractor fuel and then passes the charge to the wholesaler who passes the prices to the retailer and so on.. In addition, it is unfortunate that the majority of retailers capitalize on this, even though retailers purchase their stock once a week or once a month, you'll notice that they change their prices on daily basis, how can the price be allowed to increase for an essential item for which the seller had paid for and sold for a lower price a day before..??? We are not talking Video Games here, we are talking an essential commodity necessary for the average household.. So, in a world of manipulating producers, greedy refineries, careless wholesalers and dishonest retailers one has to expect the worst.. By the end of this year expect to pay 40% more than what you are paying now.

Have governements done anything to counteract that..?? Think taxes, and you will know why they are just too happy to scoop the yields.

Yet another issue where Capitalism fails and So******m has something to offer.

Comment

• Collectors-info
      General

• Feb 2006

Hi, think of yourself as being very fortunate on that side of the pond on having fuel prices at an unbelievable low price in comparison to what we have to pay in EU. Try this site for UK prices http://www.petrolprices.com In the UK I pay around £00.99 per Lt for diesel & about £00.95 for normal petrol. Not sure on the conversion as I believe a US gallon is slightly different to a UK one.

Chris

The chart is a bit out of date, but this fule is about £00.95pence today.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• ez-ez
        Special Status

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Collectors-info
        Hi, think of yourself as being very fortunate on that side of the pond on having fuel prices at an unbelievable low price in comparison to what we have to pay in EU. Try this site for UK prices http://www.petrolprices.com In the UK I pay around £00.99 per Lt for diesel & about £00.95 for normal petrol. Not sure on the conversion as I believe a US gallon is slightly different to a UK one.

Chris
        That equals $1.90 in Australian Dollar.. In Australia, we are paying $1.40.. I really can't see how the average citizen in the UK can afford a car anymore.... I think it's f***** that people have to suffer like this.

Comment

• FPRob
          Colonel

• Aug 2006

We are paying upto £0.99 ($1.8, more often £0.96-ish ...

Pretty damned high considering that between the US and UK we now control the huge majority of middle eastern oil ;)

The worst part about it is that 600% of fuel costs in this country is tax

FPRULES

Comment

• Code-Burnt-Gemini
            Major

• Jul 2006

Here in the southeast we have ( i think ) the lowest prices of fuel in the US. Over $1.00/gal goes to taxes. Same thing for Tobacco products, but not for alcohol ...

Isn't that kinda weird?
            brenT

Comment

• beegud2
              Major General

• Apr 2006

Here in JA we are paying JMD$ 60 per litre (4 litres = 1.06 US gallon or .88 UK gallon) for the cheap stuff (US$1 = JMD$66) .

We are threfore paying approroximately US$3.07 per 1.06 US gallon....and we area very expensive country as it is....sigh when wil lht maddness end. Oh and prices jsut went up.
              Beezz
              sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

• NGazzara
                First Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Here in New York the least expensive gasoline is $3.25 a gallon and high test is $3.59 a gallon. The rates are expected to reach $4.00 a gallon by summer's end....Tough to afford travel these days.

Ngazzara
                Nancy

www.theorganizedzone.com

Comment

• nick1346
                  Major

• Jan 2006

Ahhh my patch......

I heard someone at the test driving test centre saying that petrol is due to go up to about £1.28 per litre! I was told that some alaskan pipeline is being closed due to poor maintaince, could be don't know....

But and I speak as someone who 'knows his beans on this' it's probably a good thing. I mean, and yes there will be exceptions, how many of us make completely worthless journeys in our cars? I know I have, I can find an excuse for it sure, but I didn't drive till I was 27, got around fine weighed about a stone less as well. For those that don't know I'm a driving instructor in the England and for those in the England who don't know it is a bloody hard slog to become one, you have to be good believe me and we cannot help but watch the driving abilities of those around us and it is not always up to the bare minimum standard required in law! Sorry but rant on here, it is rarely up to minimum standard, anyone in the uk disagrees come down here and I'll show you. Finacially to me the cost of petrol gets added on to my hourly fee and for my private use well I'll just walk more, thats what I have legs for!

Just think think if we all cut our driving by just 25% (better if it was to be about 50%) we, as mainly westerners here,could seriously impact not just on pollution but also the death and carnage on our roads (Uk annually 2000-3000deaths, 20,000~40,000 serious injuries and upto 200,000 minor injuries per year, ban the car!) I could go on but I wont as I feel hackles rising. Sorry for the spelling but the wine has an effect and fingers ache!

Comment

• FPRob
                    Colonel

• Aug 2006

You're a driving instructer Nick? I want to do my advanced course, how much is it these days? :)

<thinks hard> Didn't i comment on people going off topic in another thread somewhere? Yup, I'm sure I did hahahahahahaha

FPRULES

Comment

• nick1346
                      Major

• Jan 2006

Don' know if I cover the area near some trees! But if I do cheap to you! Thing is advanced driving is a funny thing, officially you have a variety of tests but in brief you have ahemmm........
                      Bog standard L test (most people would fail, sorry but it's true!)

Taxi Test~ waste of time complete joke as are most taxi drivers.

Then you have ADI test and Driving examiners tests~bloody hard basically this is advanced driving, but would you want to go through all the hoops and dosh?

Then Cardington............for instructors who like medal collecting. I'd rather go and do some rally driving!

Then outside of the official tests you have the 'Colins' the advanced driver people who test and certificate themselves, don't get me wrong they can drive but they like driving gloves haha. Whats the standard like? Don't know but probably not as high as ADI.

If your anywhere round Southampton I'll take you out to give you an idea for free mate.

Just seen the banner for your local AWESOME! nice one mate!

Comment

• FPRob
                        Colonel

• Aug 2006

Banner, no problem ;) My pleaseure...

How about Northampton rather than Southampton LOL? It was a kind offer though, thank you for that. I will definitely look into doing it at some point but yeeahh, I'd heard that there wasn't anything particularly easy about any of the advanced courses. I probably wouldn't pass but I'm up for the challenge :)

Oh.. Believe it or not I have passed the taxi driver test and yup, waste of time as was that particular part timne job LOL. Tell you what though, good fun on a Saturday night :) :) :)

FPRULES

Comment

• bill2006
                          Lieutenant General

• May 2006

-With prices going up, at what point will owners trade in their gas guzzling trucks for smaller cars?
                          -One auto manufacturer has already admitted they read the US market wrong and should have introduced fuel efficient vehicles rather than more SUV's.
                          -Guess it goes to prove we can learn lots from Europe.
                          Bill
                          www.blueearthtea.com
                          www.ftaaconsulting.com
                          www.iaval.com
                          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• Code-Burnt-Gemini
                            Major

• Jul 2006

Speaking of gas guzzlers Bill , our work truck is a 1974 ford F-100 with a 1973 Ford Mustang 351W in it. that truck drinks gas! but when its all ya got to work with you make do ...
                            brenT

Comment

• bill2006
                              Lieutenant General

• May 2006

yep, know what you mean.
                              Bill
                              www.blueearthtea.com
                              www.ftaaconsulting.com
                              www.iaval.com
                              www.theemeraldbay.com