• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FPRob
    Colonel

• Aug 2006

Norweigans filmed catching whales

This is from an interesting article in the latest WSPA magazine.

In the summer 2005 The Willassen Senior, a Norwegian Whaling ship was filmed harpooning, dragging on board and shooting a Minke Whale 7 times to kill it. The film shows that the process took over 14 minutes. This kind of behaviour has not been seen in the Arctic Circle for over ten years and I think you will agree demonstrates a total lack of humanity on the part of the Norwegian government.

http://www.wspa.org.uk
    World Society for the Protection of Animals

FPRULES

• ez-ez
    Special Status

• Mar 2006

Re: Norweigans filmed catching whales

Originally posted by FPRob
    This is from an interesting article in the latest WSPA magazine.

In the summer 2005 The Willassen Senior, a Norwegian Whaling ship was filmed harpooning, dragging on board and shooting a Minke Whale 7 times to kill it. The film shows that the process took over 14 minutes. This kind of behaviour has not been seen in the Arctic Circle for over ten years and I think you will agree demonstrates a total lack of humanity on the part of the Norwegian government.

http://www.wspa.org.uk
    World Society for the Protection of Animals

I respect what you say.. But I also disagree.. There is nothing wrong with hunting whales whatsoever.. Whales are large animals that can only be killed by multiple beating, so to speak. I ahev eaten whale and would do so again whenever the chance arises.. Given the fact that certain parts have not been subjected to whale hunting for some time is the more reason for why they should be harvested.. My prsonal view is nothing on earth should be out of reach for human consumption.

Comment

• FPRob
      Colonel

• Aug 2006

Carlos you have amazed me.... You dont consider the fact that most species of whale are almost extinct to be a factor? More importantly, on some level every species on the planet plays a part in our eco-system. There are humane ways to kill animals for food and the simple fact is that we dont absolutely have to eat whale when cod and plaice will do just nicely.

Surely Killing them off is no better than destorying the ozone or testing nuclear bombs in the Pacific?

FPRULES

Comment

• beegud2
        Major General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by ez-ez
        I respect what you say.. But I also disagree.. There is nothing wrong with hunting whales whatsoever.. Whales are large animals that can only be killed by multiple beating, so to speak. I ahev eaten whale and would do so again whenever the chance arises.. Given the fact that certain parts have not been subjected to whale hunting for some time is the more reason for why they should be harvested.. My prsonal view is nothing on earth should be out of reach for human consumption.

Ez-ez....harvesting whales for consumption for when they were 'ruling' the earth would have been fair play...right now the whale population as Rob pointed near extinction (especially certain species) and every animal impacts us in the end ecologically. I think we humans tend towards excesses and that is where our problem comes in...we don't moderate our consumption of anything...hence our energy criisis, over population...etc.

<getting of soapbox and taking it home now>

Sorry...ez-ez didn't mean to jump down on you...
        Beezz
        sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

• ez-ez
          Special Status

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by FPRob
          Carlos you have amazed me.... You dont consider the fact that most species of whale are almost extinct to be a factor? More importantly, on some level every species on the planet plays a part in our eco-system. There are humane ways to kill animals for food and the simple fact is that we dont absolutely have to eat whale when cod and plaice will do just nicely.

Surely Killing them off is no better than destorying the ozone or testing nuclear bombs in the Pacific?
          Rob..

I have come to embrace this view because of several reasons one of which is the fact that 'Man' is behind almost every extinction of a nother living being, including other man.. Therefore, nature either intended for it to be like so, or has co-oped well with it. Secondly, It appears to me that whale hunting has become a hot topic, not an environmental one, but rather, political. In the west, we seem to adopt the view that if the Japanese do it, then it must be bad.. I entirely disagree.. If I had a dollar to prosecture the 'Japs' for hunting the whale, I would prefer to invest that dollar in prosecuting the Israelis.. Thirdly, the Japanese, and it's allies os whale consuming nations, including Norway, have themselves been corrupted because of politicizing this issue.. Go no further than the last 2 months (forgive my ignorance, but I think the dates are close), Japan won a vote on Whale Hunting.. But how..?? By buying the votes of countries like Sudan, Yemen, Kajestan, Armenia, Bolivia and those countries that don't have any interest in the matter.. My view is, one must realize what they are doing is damaging to the environment before they become willing to change it.. Especially if it's a cultural thing like this.. Which brings me to the question, if cod is good enough, why do we have Lamb when beef is good enough, why do we have mandarins when oranges are good enough.. More importantly, what if the Seikh (or Hindus) call for a ban on all beef consumption..??

(Note: I do not agree that it's ok to consume animals only because they can be farmed).

Comment

• bill2006
            Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Should we add to politics, religion and money?
            Bill
            www.blueearthtea.com
            www.ftaaconsulting.com
            www.iaval.com
            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• beegud2
              Major General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by bill2006
              Should we add to politics, religion and money?
              LOL...right on Bill...it does seem that we have conroversy in everything...this is definitley a round table topic with good friends and wine (tea for us more evolved creatures)....

I'm more concerend about when the Aliens finally make and appearance and we becme lunch....lol
              Beezz
              sigpic

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Again...

"Religion, Politics, and Money are topics considered "taboo" in envoirnments such as the VodaHost Forum" ***** himself agreed with this in an earlier thread, and should thus be considered a 'tacit' Rule for Forum Conduct.

Much of the "controversy" introduced into the VodaHost Forums seem to be via Threads created in the "Chat" Forum for no other reason that to create a stirring.

Also, the "new trend" to post numerous Jokes each day as a new thread (rather than as posts within a "Joke of The Day" thread for example) offers a greater liklihood for instances of mis-interpretation for ALL those who pore over the Forum and learn by example. (VH "Rank" may be obtainable via prolific posts, true, but in the past those posts were valued solutions, and thus an indication of expertise - not familiarity and frivolity!)

I do not like being the one to constantly have to point out simple decorum and standards of courtesy in VodaLand, but for the past 5 weeks, rather than subside, it seems to be growing as if by mere precedence. Personally, I feel it is time to start reeling it in.....
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• navaldesign
                  General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

I consider whale hunting a crime. That's it, no more no less.
                  Navaldesign
                  Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• beegud2
                    Major General

• Apr 2006

Also, the "new trend" to post numerous Jokes each day as a new thread (rather than as posts within a "Joke of The Day" thread for example) offers a greater liklihood for instances of mis-interpretation for ALL those who pore over the Forum and learn by example. (VH "Rank" may be obtainable via prolific posts, true, but in the past those posts were valued solutions, and thus an indication of expertise - not familiarity and frivolity!)
                    Awww.. Idon't think anyone is doing it for rank ...lol...just for fun and maybe we do need to cut back on it a bit but it is a great way to start the day. I think the debate on whales was interesting and shows that people can have an discussion without going balistic...BUT I do get your point and where you are coming from AND...lol ...someone has to keep an eye on the troops before they turn this into another 'his own army'...lol

Good points as always general...:")
                    Beezz
                    sigpic

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

> And Rob, like EZ, I too disagree on your comments regarding the harvesting of whale by Norweigens.

Unlike the Japanese (and more like the Aluets), Norweigens depend on whale as a food source, and are well-known for being conscienable about the manner in which they continue their heritage. (They don't waste their catch).

Secondly, Norweigens were the very ones who brought the perepective of whale-counting to the eyes of the world: they have for centuries monitored the pod sizes, and the maturation of the whales to best predict the next year's harvest and allowability: too small of a population, they would likely fish more cod and preserve that.

The more you really know, the more you can appreciate.

And FYI: depending on how it is prepared, whale can taste like a pork chop or chicken breast, and is a hell of a lot more affordable than beef in the frigid northlands......

Comment

• FPRob
                        Colonel

• Aug 2006

<is in a good mood and smiling hard>

Vasili

We all know your views on religious and political discussion when it comes and im not sure why you think we are stupid enough that you have to keep reminding us (me)

If you dont like a particular topic then just stay away from it, no one is forcing you to be in this thread.

Its easier to start a new thread about something else and stay out of the ones you dont like ROFL

Jeeeez... I paid my $95 and if i want to talk about politics then i will, thanks!

Some people including staff might think that this kind of discussion is a bit bare knuckle but it does not say anywhere that it cant be disscussed and when we get to the bottom line - this topic which i have started was about preservation of life in the animal kingdom hence my link in the top post and it is not about any of the things you dislike.

Thank you my friend. genuinely. Not having a go. Just asking that you stay away from stuff you dont like as instead of bleating on about what should and shouldn't be chatted about especially when we all know the way you think to start with.

FPRULES

Comment

• beegud2
                          Major General

• Apr 2006

See learned some thing new today...pork chops and chicken breast... hmm..if only i wasn't a veggie saurus...lol
                          Beezz
                          sigpic

Comment

• FPRob
                            Colonel

• Aug 2006

Originally posted by Vasili
                            > And Rob, like EZ, I too disagree on your comments regarding the harvesting of whale by Norweigens.

Unlike the Japanese (and more like the Aluets), Norweigens depend on whale as a food source, and are well-known for being conscienable about the manner in which they continue their heritage. (They don't waste their catch).

Secondly, Norweigens were the very ones who brought the perepective of whale-counting to the eyes of the world: they have for centuries monitored the pod sizes, and the maturation of the whales to best predict the next year's harvest and allowability: too small of a population, they would likely fish more cod and preserve that.

The more you really know, the more you can appreciate.

And FYI: depending on how it is prepared, whale can taste like a pork chop or chicken breast, and is a hell of a lot more affordable than beef in the frigid northlands......
                            Yeah yeah yeah... bleat bleat bleat baaaaaaa

Not my comments, all from the WSPA and all true, just passing on the news and another thing...... Pigs and chickens are not endangered :) LOLOLOLOL

FPRULES

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I am surprised, Mr., that you know what I think, and offer so much to this Community as to contrast.

You possess skill and talents I always hoped existed but have never been able to develop myself.

Lead On!

Comment

Working...
                              X