• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Winntec
    Master Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Pre-Sales - Uptime & Performance

I currently use 2 other hosting services, one a proprietary e-comm provider with extremely slow performance and the second a big "regular" provider who boast over 500,000 members and who, twice this year, have inflicted multi-hour (the last 2 weeks ago for 8 hours) service losses, and yesterday had an email "clog" whereby i essentially had no email coming in for the day. The last outage was blamed on a power failure which leads me to believe they don't bother with ups systems to keep their shared hosting clients running.
    What can i expect from Voda in terms of uptime expectations, the number of domains on a shared server, the monitoring and points at which you start reassigning domains and the technology you use to keep my sites up? That's a bit of a mouthful but twice bitten etc etc!
    Last question - you advertise unlimited domains per ACCOUNT - think I know the answer but just checking - does that mean those domains are complete unto themselves - ie they all have their own email and look as if they are totally independent from each other?
    Thanks
    CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
    HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

• Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: Pre-Sales - Uptime & Performance

I can't answer the technical answers - but

I moved to VH because of a terrible experience with where I did have my stores hosted - load time was bad, down time was bad - email accounts didn't work the way they should.

All of that was solved here.

I have multiple domains per account and yes, they each have their own email addresses totally independent of the other.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Winntec
      Master Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Beth, thanks you actually know me as LoungeOutdoors from that "previous" hosting company that you escaped and I need to get out of before I get hit with the $25/mth for one site hosting fee!
      Right now I have a decision between Voda and another hoster (*********) that I've been with for 5 years but who I've not been happy with over this last year due to extended periods of downtime hence my question on uptime and standby power systems or UPS.
      For me the pluses for Voda are multiple "real" domains in one account and as i live in the "boonies" an offline site development tool (BlueVoda) as I connect to the internet thru satellite which is susceptible to weather conditions - pricing is the same.
      Been trying to get my head round Blue Voda, I've been using Dreamweaver and they have very different philosophies but BV has some nice timesavers like the nav bars and menus etc so will probably use a mix.
      As soon as I get the warm & fuzzies on the uptime I've 5 sites to get moved over!
      Thanks
      CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
      HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

Comment

• navaldesign
        General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Statistically the VH uptime for last 12 months has been 99.8% +. There is no such thing as server farm without an emergency power source and UPS systems. They just gave you a cheap justification.
        As for domains, yes, you can add as many as you want, and each one is independent. They share the same disk space and the same CP. You can have unlinited domains, unlimited email addresses, unlimited FTP accounts, each one with it's own (or the same, it's up to you) password, and, VERY important for commercial sites, unlimited Databases, if you wish to have carts installed.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• VodaHost
          General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

Any web hosting company that claims a 100% UPTIME is blatantly lying to you. Stuff happens. Hard Disks Fry, Mother Boards go bad, Power black outs, Data centers get overloaded, DDOS Attacks, Cyber Terrorism, etc…. All sorts of wonderful stuff happens on a daily basis, which if we do our job correctly you will never notice

This big question is not what our uptime is (varies per server 99.8% average) but what measures do we have in place, for redundancy, crisis control and how safe is your data in the event of a catastrophic event.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Bethers
            Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Winntec - In my opinion, you can't go wrong with VodaHost - and I love BV - so if you have any questions - feel free to ask me. There are many of us from that old "hosting" company here now and more coming over all the time.

Naval and ***** have given you the truth. They give the facts here - and I appreciate it.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Winntec
              Master Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Thanks, I'm signed up.
              btw No other outfit told me 100% - I used to sell and support 5 "9's" uptime systems with full auto-failover, RAID etc and ran a project for a major bank who had one of the largest diesel engines in the world to power their UPS system for support of their trans-Canada banking system so understand the technology that's around very well and also, yup, stuff happens, things will break and Murphy's law is alive & well.
              The question was not 3, 4, or 5 "9's" but if it does go down when should I expect it to be back and that was prompted by suffering 2 instances with another hoster over the last year where i was down 8 hours - yes, 8 hours each time. I'm sure there were other 5 & 10 minute issues that I never noticed, are inconvenient but can be lived with occasionally. A continuous 8 hour outage is totally unacceptable which is why I'm moving. I also recently had an email outage that lasted 12 hours.
              So now that I'm VH powered I'm looking forward to a much better experience!
              Thanks again!

Comment

• VodaHost
                General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

Thank you for you order, your account will be set up within 24 hours.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                X