First Steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Steps

Can you tell me on the page properties what is the normal size for a webpage, is it the one that shows up in the width. I am not sure when you drage a template onto the new page whether you fill the whole page with it or just the middle section and how do you know the boundaries of the page. Sorry if this is very basic or is written somewhere else, I havent had time to read everything and am just starting out on trying to put together a very basic website

Re: First Steps

[quote=topshrink]Can you tell me on the page properties what is the normal size for a webpage, is it the one that shows up in the width. I am not sure when you drage a template onto the new page whether you fill the whole page with it or just the middle section and how do you know the boundaries of the page. Sorry if this is very basic or is written somewhere else, I havent had time to read everything and am just

Hi there and welcome

You are in the right direction with your page properties, the best page width is '800, this allows all viewers to view the page without sideways scroll regardless if their resolution is set at '800, '1024 or larger ... you also choose a background image, or color, via the same properties, this will fill in around the sides of your page for those viewing in the larger screen resolution.

Using the template, place it at the top of the page, as far to the left as you can and set the right side to '800.

The length is something that can be changed, nice if you have it the same on all pages, but not as important as some pages may require a longer length. But is you plan your work and work your plan, you can save yourself a bit of work.

Use the template you are using, insert your navigation menu for all the pages you will have, insert the links in the navigation menu, and then anything else that you want to have appearing on all pages. Once this is done, save this as your starting page for each page you build. Building that page and saving it as that page. (Call your beginning page, template, or something, no need to publish this one). If you use the same page to begin each page, your site will load quicker for everyone as that page only needs to be opened in their browser just the once, and the information from every other page is all that will need to be reloaded. It is also gives your site a look of continuity which is also nice.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Lady Eye, thank you for that info, and I have followed that, I keep looking at the page in browser to see how it looks, but I do find it difficult to line up all my boxes as the grid seems to be on the background and whether it is my mouse or not but it keeps jumping over where I want the boxes to go and I would like a way to make it precise in lining up. Can you tell me how I make sure that everything is straight and tidy and not out of line by a few cms?

Thanks

Comment

I have just tried to do a template which looks fine on the screen but when I went to print it off, I only have half of what I expected to have on the page, what do I do to make sure that when it is printed off, the full page is seen
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X