• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • micheleros
    Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

A few questions before I join

Hi, I read through a fair number of the threads so that I could minimise the questions I would have to ask - so apologies in advance if I am repeating some of the questions. (Absolutely, no HTML so I have been playing around with the sitebuilder which is phenomenal!

1. I need both a .com, a .eu & .ws extension for my website, if I register the .eu with another provider can I then transfer to you for hosting? If not is there a solution?

2. I want to sell products (not a huge amount, about 10 to start) do I understand correctly that I should not use blue voda but rather soholaunch for this? Can blue voda accept credit cards? Is the sitebuilder with soholaunch as easy to use as BV?

3. I want my .eu site to be available in the primary languages in Europe, is there a way of doing this on my site?

4. Am I allowed to use an 'opt in' newsletter on my site?

5. I cannot find the 'logo maker' button even though it's ticked in the menu.

I really appreciate you help....in advance.

Michele
  • Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: A few questions before I join

1. You can always point the nameservers to your account here - no matter where you register the domains (unless there are any restrictions from the country of registry).

2. I use BV for my stores - I prefer it to Soho - but you can use either. If you use BV, you have to decide how you want the shopping cart to work. How are you planning to charge your customers? That decision actually has to be made before you can select which of those (if either) to use.

3. Someone else will have to answer this one :)

4. Yes.

5. Look at the icons lined up on the left - I believe the logo one is the next to last.

Good luck and hope to have you with us soon.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• micheleros
      Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

Beth,

Thank you so much for your help.

I found the logo maker....I hadn't downloaded the 9.1 version !

I think I will initially just use paypal to launch and test, I haven't set up a merchant account yet but I definitely want to be able to take credit cards. I just checked your Child's Palace site so I see that you can accept cc's on that, so I think I will stick with BV. (Your site is great by the way, future customer here, since my daughter is only 3!)

Now as regards 'Nameservers' I'm probably going to ask a really stupid question.....

So I register my .com with VH so that all set.
      If I register my .eu with Go Daddy, does that mean that I do a url forwarding from GD to my site of VH? If so what site does it forward to, as I will be catering for both the US & the EU market and I want to keep both sites separate and deal with market specific areas. Also with an .eu registered with another provider, can I still use BV to build the site?

Sorry for all the questions?

thanks for your input.

Michele

Comment

• Bethers
        Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Are you planning to build one site - and have one of the url's simply directed to the other? If so, and that's the one at GoDaddy - then, yes, you need to do a redirect to the one that you build. For example, when I built Moxie Enterprises, I couldn't get the url moxieenterprises.com - and I purchased moxie-enter-prises.com. Since then, I've been able to purchase the first - and it is simply redirected so if anyone types it without the -'s in it - they go to my site. And if I want, I can use that url - which is easier for people to remember.

Thanks for the compliments! I'm using Blue Voda and I use CartManager for my shopping carts. For only 10 or so products, you'll probably be fine with the Paypal buttons that BV makes available to you. But if you ever need more - feel free to take a look: www.moxie-enter-prises.com/cartmanager.html

Don't be sorry about the questions. NOW is the right time to be asking - before you get too far along and have to do it all over again. Planning correctly is really the best thing to do.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

• nzbr
          Lieutenant Colonel

• Dec 2006

Hi Bethers,
          I don't know if I'm posting on the right place, but I've read you mentioning about having a domain and "redirecting" it to your main site.
          My main 'problem' is to atract more trafic to my site and after all I've read so far, I believe that a good domain is very important. (and I also would like to ask for your opinion on that). My site is: www.nzbrtours.com and the main tour here in Auckland is to Rotorua (it's all about Rotorua!). Therefore I would like to have a domain like: www.newzealandtourstorotorua.com (or if you have a better idea...), which mentions the name 'Rotorua'.
          My question: Shall a build a new site(and be very specific on it about Rotorua) with this new name or simply buy the new domain name and redirect it to my existing one? So when people go in google and type: tours to Rotorua in New Zealand for example, the new domain I wrote above, for example, would show these 3 very important key words and would come up in a good position.

Many Thanks in advance,
          N Z B R
          t o u r s
          New Zealand Tours
          Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
          Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
          Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
          Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

• navaldesign
            General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Usually SE do NOT follow links to other sites. Under this point of view, making the new domain redirected to your existing site, will not help you. You would need to create an entire site about Rotorua and eventually link it to your existing site for some of the features (just to avoid building all the necessary pages). However, since contant is one of the most important aspects as long as SE are concerned, i would build an entire site for Rotorua.

Just my opinion though. Beth is far more knowledgable about SE than i am.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• nzbr
              Lieutenant Colonel

• Dec 2006

Thanks navaldesign,

If I do build a new site. How do I do it? I have BV in my computer with al the pages and info regarding my actual site. Do I have to download BV again? need a new account? I would a new domain and then..?
              N Z B R
              t o u r s
              New Zealand Tours
              Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
              Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

1. You need a new domain name. You can register one at http://vodahostdomains.com/

2. You don't need a new account, you can use your existing one, and add the new domain as addon.
                3. You do not need to download BV again, the one you have is ok.

4. You create a folder, INSIDE your existing BV folder in your computer. The pages that you create for the new site must be saved in this folder, so they will not get mixed up with the original site pages.

5. When you add the new domain as addon, a new folder will be automatically created in your public_html. This new folder, by default, is named after the addon domain. If your new domain is, i.e., www.newzealandtourstorotorua.com a new folder, named "newzealandtourstorotorua" will be automatically created.

6. You publish the new site pages in " public_html/newzealandtourstorotorua "

That's all.
                Navaldesign
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• nzbr
                  Lieutenant Colonel

• Dec 2006

Great! Thanks. Looks easy.

Any idea about a good domain name I could go for? Or maybe I should ask Bethers? You said that she knows a lot about SE's.
                  Because, as I said, my main concern are the SE's. Here in NZ the competition in the tourism industry is fierce and I would like to get it right.

Cheers,
                  N Z B R
                  t o u r s
                  New Zealand Tours
                  Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
                  Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Chose a domain name as short as possible, with the Rotorua term in it, like

rotoruatours, rotoruatouring, or something similar, if they are not already registered.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

• nzbr
                      Lieutenant Colonel

• Dec 2006

Sorry about all this questions....

What are my costs of seting up this entirely new site with the new domain name?

N Z B R
                      t o u r s
                      New Zealand Tours
                      Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
                      Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

• VodaHost
                        General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

click the below....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• FlyingSilverFox
                          Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

yah lah , that's right lah,

click the below....

www.vodahost.com/order.htm

Plus sign up lah...

take action then you automatically got no more question lah .....

fox guarantee you worth it one lah ...

regretted not knowing this land earlier
                          that wasted fox much time and dollars unncessary ...
                          now then know how to use dash "-" . ... ...
                          still not too late ... geeee

by the way, curious to find out what is " .ws " ?
                          i have seen it quite a few round ...

flying off loh ~~~~

uh ! what day is to day ... so many .....
                          sigpic
                          Best Regards,
                          Fox

Comment

• micheleros
                            Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

Hi Bethers,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am going to be building two different sites, even though the primary product will be the same there will be a major difference in an add on product. This change in itself requires me to become very market specific within Europe and facilitate the website to be viewed in different European languages. (I know you said you can't help me with the ability to put different languages on my site, .....maybe someone else in this forum could.

Not sure yet, but there may also be different pricing structures. Europeans are funny sometimes when it comes to their perception of how 'localised' a product is...(Ha! I'm one of them...I just moved over to the US from Ireland last year)

Anyway perhaps I will concentrate on the .com first and take it from there as I have plenty to do anyway.

One last question, for the forum, how come VH doesn't sell the .eu domain, since they are already in the UK?

Ok so the restrictions on this extension are that you have to be either:

An EU citizen
                            An EU company
                            An EU organisation within the 27 States.

So to put on my market research hat, there are 809,634,686 citizens in Europe, 314,792,225 people on the internet (38.9% penetration) with a growth of nearly 200% between 2006-2007.

So even though it may not be viable for your US or Rest of World users, it could be very viable for penetration into the European Market. Hmm!

thanks,

Michele

Comment

• Karen Mac
                              General

• Apr 2006

To Answer the Languages question, theres a program called BABEL FISH, that allows for MOST translation on a site. I havent used it but there are those who do.

The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.

This might work for you.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                              X