• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billsz
    Private

• Jul 2007

Question about multiple domain names/multiple sites

On your "Features" page, it states, "Websites per Account: Unlimited". Does that mean I can just point unlimited domain names to my website, or can I have separate, distinct websites all hosted on one account? For instance, could I have (all made-up sites) www.algebratips.com, www.funnyholidays.com and www.buymyusedbooks.com all hosted on the same account with each having its own homepage and site?

It doesn't seem like the second scenario would be true, but it would be great if it was because I have 2-3 small sites with little traffic that I would love to be able to just stick on the same hosting plan.

Thank you for your response,
    Bill
  • Watdaflip
    Major General

• Sep 2005

Re: Question about multiple domain names/multiple sites

Yes, you can have all 3 on the same website (unlimited number, but 3 in your case). The domain you sign up with will be set as the main website on the account. Any additional domain names are addon domains

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• kiossesd
      Private

• Jul 2007

Hello, i have a question too.

I am a new web developer and i have around 10-15 clients (i hope soon i will have more)

I administer all the sites and my clients only login to cpanel to watch their statistics.

For now, i have a reseller account to another company. So, is it legal according your policy to buy an account on your company and transfer all my clients to you?

p.s.: i have seen a friend's site that is hosted on your company and you provide Web Host Manager!

Comment

• Watdaflip
        Major General

• Sep 2005

You have to have a seperate account for each of your clients.

There has to be a miscommunication between you and your friend because vodahost does not provide WHM, and doesn't allow an account to be used as a resellers account.

Its against their TOS to run your own as well as other people websites on a single account. You would have to sign up for each of your customers so they would only be running their sites on their own account.

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• Giorgio
          Private First Class

• Aug 2007

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
          Yes, you can have all 3 on the same website (unlimited number, but 3 in your case). The domain you sign up with will be set as the main website on the account. Any additional domain names are addon domains
          But how would it work? Which will be the URL address for each of the distict web sites?

Comment

• Watdaflip
            Major General

• Sep 2005

Your main website will display as www.mainsite.com (whatever it may be).

Each addon domain will be in a directory on your main site on your account

ex

But when you enter the url it will display the url as www.secondsite.com and will get the website files from the directory www.mainsite.com/secondsite

They act like they are independent even though they are not total independent

Register/Login Script

Comment

• skbhagra
              Private First Class

• Sep 2007

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
              Your main website will display as www.mainsite.com (whatever it may be).

Each addon domain will be in a directory on your main site on your account

ex

www.mainsite.com/secondsite

But when you enter the url it will display the url as www.secondsite.com and will get the website files from the directory www.mainsite.com/secondsite

They act like they are independent even though they are not total independent

In this case will it be possible for me to design all my websites , each having a different domain but on the same hosting account to be designed independently using SOHOLAUNCH? Or do I have to buy seperate hosting accounts for each additional domain to be able to design all of them using Soholaunch?
              Thanks

Comment

• Collectors-info
                General

• Feb 2006

Others will confer? But i think you are only allowed 1 Soho per account. But you can have multi domains & sites using the BV program or other shopping carts.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• Oscar7
                  Sergeant

• Sep 2007

I still am not understanding this multiple site operation.

For sake of discussion I currently have a site up and operating using Blue Voda - Let's designate it www.MySite.com

Now I would like to create another site, it will have an entirely different name - Let's designate it www.AWebSite.com.

Okay, assume I have the original site in a folder designated BlueVoda and the pages are labeled "Index" and "action", it's only a single page site with a name and e-mail address response setup. I want to create a couple more similiar sites. Nothing elaborate, just name and e-mail response sites. I assume I will need a new domain name for each, no problem there but how do I seperate them on my computer. Assume the first sites first page is designated "Index", what do I designate the first page of the second site? Do I put it in the same folder and call it "Index1" and the second page "action1"? Will it load and operate properly if I use this approach?

Finally, I assume I must purchase a new domain name and pay for hosting for a year. What does that cost and where do I go to pay that?

Any help would most certainly be appreciated, Thank You
                  Oscar7
                  www.pnwresearch.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Oscar7 View Post
                    I still am not understanding this multiple site operation.

For sake of discussion I currently have a site up and operating using Blue Voda - Let's designate it www.MySite.com

Now I would like to create another site, it will have an entirely different name - Let's designate it www.AWebSite.com.

Okay, assume I have the original site in a folder designated BlueVoda and the pages are labeled "Index" and "action", it's only a single page site with a name and e-mail address response setup. I want to create a couple more similiar sites. Nothing elaborate, just name and e-mail response sites. I assume I will need a new domain name for each, no problem there but how do I seperate them on my computer. Assume the first sites first page is designated "Index", what do I designate the first page of the second site? Do I put it in the same folder and call it "Index1" and the second page "action1"? Will it load and operate properly if I use this approach?

Finally, I assume I must purchase a new domain name and pay for hosting for a year. What does that cost and where do I go to pay that?

Any help would most certainly be appreciated, Thank You
                    Let's get a few things out in the open before we get technical, shall we?

1. You can purchase multiple domains (from anwhere) and host them in your single VodaHost account.
                    2. You can choose to actually transfer them to your VodaHost account (if you bought them elsewhere), or leave them where they are and merely make DNS cahnges to them so they "point" to your VH account, where you will have a site hosted within your single account. *Keep in mind, however, that every domain either "pointing to" a website in your account, or actually added to our account by transfer must be legally yours: they cannot be owned or on behalf of another, for then it would constitute a violation of Terms of Service at VodaHost which prohibits "reselling services or features" either outright or by proxy!
                    3. You can add an unlimited number of domains per account, and host an unlimited number of websites (up to the stated storage quota of 2,00mb) per account before needing to consider paying beyond the standard fee previously paid (just like bandwidth - use more, pay more, and it is a monthly generated invoice, so keep tabs on your Voda Billing Service dashboard on a timely basis!).

Now....when it come to "organizing your folders" that will be created for each BV site, it is really quite simple:

A. When you create you first new page for a site, you will SAVE AS (pagename), and you will immediately see the dialog box prompting you to specify where to save the page --- this is when you will click on the little file folder with the star on it >> NEW FOLDER
                    B. Type in the name of the new website, and then click off somewhere else once, to allow the title to the new folder to "stick"
                    C. Double-click on this new folder (open it), and now you can complete the process of saving your new page to the new folder of the new website.

When you go to open BV or seek to re-open a page, you will now see folders with each website properly labelled. Remember to properly save pages to the correct folder, otherwise you risk overwriting the similarly named pages in your primary folder.

>> This eliminates the question you had about your email "action" file/page......each site has a folder of its own, and thus each action file/script is protected, understand?

and on we go.....
                    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Oscar7
                      Sergeant

• Sep 2007

Thanks Vasili, for the quick reply. I will now print out your reply and read it over about a dozen times until it sinks into my feeble brain.

Not sure but I think you lost me here - let me muddle on it for a bit and maybe what you are saying will register.

(>> This eliminates the question you had about your email "action" file/page......each site has a folder of its own, and thus each action file/script is protected, understand?)

Thanks again and i am sure I will be getting back to you!
                      Oscar7
                      www.pnwresearch.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Oscar7 View Post
                        Thanks Vasili, for the quick reply. I will now print out your reply and read it over about a dozen times until it sinks into my feeble brain.

Not sure but I think you lost me here - let me muddle on it for a bit and maybe what you are saying will register.

(>> This eliminates the question you had about your email "action" file/page......each site has a folder of its own, and thus each action file/script is protected, understand?)

Thanks again and i am sure I will be getting back to you!
                        Since each site has its own "action" page/file/script, you need only properly save it in the right folder....it is kept separate from the others (so no conflict), because it is intended to work for the site within that folder right?? Each folder keeps everything about that site contained and available for use only for that site....there is no mixup ... that is why it is important to save pages to the right folder!

If you have multiple email forms on a single website, simply change the titles to keep them straight: action1, action2, etc. You will need to make corresponding changes to title exactly the same on the page title, the page form dialog box, etc. for "precise pairing".... I think you will understand when you get there!

BETTER YET: You always learn better by doing....so just go ahead and create a fun page and create a folder with the name you want, and save it (remember you can always delete pages and folders themselves later on if you wish). Now close BV, and re-open it. Try to "retrieve" the page you just made.....you will need to open the folder-within-a-folder, right?? The main selection you see in the BV dialog pane is your "Primary Directory" (public_html/) or "Main Folder" of your account: every added site or "add-on" domain is a site within a site, and is organized by folders within folders. You wouldn't put index page BLUE in the RED folder would you? Of course not....so why would you not understand that as long as Blue pages are in the Blue folder they would not be kept "protected" from the Red pages?
                        Same principle for your "action" scripts.....

La-la-la-Te-Tum.....
                        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                        X