live website for testing without domain name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• live website for testing without domain name

I already have a domain and website with another host, but I want to redesign it (not in BV or Soho) and then host the new website with VodaHost under that same domain name.

The old website is built in the CMS of the host, but I don't like the CMS at all, so that's why I am starting completely from scratch and I don't want to use a website-building program like that again.

However, until the new website is completely finished, I do not want to take down the old one. So my question is, while I am working on my new website, is there a way I can have it live online without having it attached to a domain name until I am ready to take down my old website and transfer the domain to VodaHost? My friend told me most hosts provide a service like that.

I'm not sure how much sense that makes... sorry... I'm pretty new to all this.

Re: live website for testing without domain name

Yes. VH will provide you (when you purchase an account) with your IP address and username, so it will be enough to create your links like

http://75.75.75.75/~qcqnglgx

where 75.75.75.75 will be your real IP address. You can open your site using links like that. Remember: you will have to chanhe it afterwards to the real domain name URLs, because some of the scripts you will eventually install in the future might not work with the IP address.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Re: live website for testing without domain name

I have two online stores now, but I want to redo them with soholaunch. I want to keep the domain names as they are now.

As I am rebuilding the sites with soho, can I publish, view and test these pages without disturbing my original sites? I would prefer not to have to redirect my links as mentioned in the previous post, when I redirect my domain names to the voda/soho pages.

Just another thought...can I use my real domain name in the different pages, as long as I don't use index.html as a name for the home page. Maybe call it myhome.html and then change it back to index.html when I am ready to go live?

Vstarvic

Comment

Working...
      X