Potential Customer W/ Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Customer W/ Questions...

What is a Dedicated IP address? And an SSL is only needed if you have a shopping cart and take payments correct? Do I need a Dedicated IP, does it make your site run faster? I am getting ready to purchase hosting through someone, and I am below a novice when it comes to building one, so the fact that there is a forum here is HUGE! But I need to know if all of my templates and such are there or is that an extra fee like some (most) of the other hosting sites? Sorry I have a lot of questions.
    Cheryl

www.musiccityreptiles.com

Re: Potential Customer W/ Questions...

Vodahost provides what is called shared webhosting. Each server (the computers that run the websites) have a couple "shared" ip addresses. These are used for all websites on the server unless they are assigned a dedicated ip address. If you have a dedicated ip address then your website has its own ip address that is not shared by others. It is required for SSL to have a dedicated ip address, but if you don't plan on using SSL (which you are correct, you need for any circumstance where your website processes any payment, unless it goes through paypal) then you don't need a dedicated ip. Having a dedicated ip has no effect on how fast your website is. Only the connection to the internet of both the server and the website users.

I'm not sure what templates you are talking about so I can't help with that

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Hi Watdaflip,

I am thinking of getting dedicated IP too as I encountered very slow traffic during certain hours of the day.

Just a query, you mentioned "Having a dedicated ip has no effect on how fast your website is" but since I am having my own server IP it should be faster isn't?

Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,
      Eric
      Cheers,
      Eric PSF

PapaEric.com
      A Father's Parenting Diary & More...

Comment

No, a dedicated IP isn't going to speed it up, you are still sharing the same server resources (CPU and bandwidth) regardless of if you are using the shared IP or a dedicated one.

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
        X