Things you wish you knew before building your site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunchaser
    First Lieutenant

• Nov 2007

Things you wish you knew before building your site?

Hi

With 4 children and working, I'm very time-poor. What I'd like is a post of the best tips when starting up your website with BlueVoda.
    (for example, Naval's tips on how to create a site that you can update globally)

Is there a post like this anywhere? - it would have a list of tips, with links to threads that fully explain what the tip means and how to achieve it.

I love the feel of the BlueVoda site builder and this forum, but am worried I will get tied up making big mistakes, so I'm not sure whether or not to go ahead with hosting. I've only built a (dead simple) site with sw sitebuilder before - so am a stupid newbie.

thanks in advance
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Things you wish you knew before building your site?

The thing about making progress with anything is you have to make that first effort, and to remain in motion......making a website is not as complicated as it seems, really, but it does require acute attention to detail since everything in the WebWorld is so linear and logical: you cannot skip steps, or cut corners. This might prove to be your real challenge, as with limited time and plenty of distraction, you might try to squeeze in more fine work that the allotted time usually allows, adding to further frustration and distraction.

Quite frankly, you need to sit down with pencil and paper and actually write out a Website Plan: include all the "pages" (topics, really) you think you will need to present your Content in an organized manner. Then, think about how you want the website to function.....do you need specialty forms or other means of interactive communication? Do you envision a "community" (a Forum, or Blog)? Do you need "Live Help"?? Things like this help to 'force' a foundation upon your website overall design, and can predicate how to start building it...

Quite frankly, the "theme" is the easiest part -- the colors, images, layout, etc. It is, however, where most people tend to rush things, and the slightest overlapping or mis-alignment of elements detracts so largely to the eye that it is crushing how much time is devoted to precisely laying out the elements, one by one. Precision is what it is all about....the computers and the protocols of the web are unforgiving and require what we call the "Perfect Page Construct" to base all their other "rankings" upon. Basically, how well we construct/build our actual web pages will demonstrate our overall "compliance" with the "standard" that is established, and before any of our content, words, or other unique additions can be "valued" to create overall "web position".

So, the real first step is to have a finely developed Website Plan...one that makes sense, and that can be translated into a real construct. This being the case, then EVERY effort you make following your plan will become measurable progress, and be self-comforting. Allow yourself to be as precise as possible, no matter what you are working on (saves from going back and doing it over).

Once you start, you will find it easier to locate specific solutions in the many forums that make up VodaTalk. Just do a "Search" using key words to find 'em!

Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• LadyEye
      General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Sunchaser View Post
      Hi

With 4 children and working, I'm very time-poor. What I'd like is a post of the best tips when starting up your website with BlueVoda.
      (for example, Naval's tips on how to create a site that you can update globally)

Is there a post like this anywhere? - it would have a list of tips, with links to threads that fully explain what the tip means and how to achieve it.

I love the feel of the BlueVoda site builder and this forum, but am worried I will get tied up making big mistakes, so I'm not sure whether or not to go ahead with hosting. I've only built a (dead simple) site with sw sitebuilder before - so am a stupid newbie.

thanks in advance

Hi Sunchaser

I have something that might perhaps help you .. you are welcome to view or download to your own computer, it is a pdf file, so you will need acrobat reader to view ..

There is lots of help here, every step of the way.

Welcome.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Sunchaser
        First Lieutenant

• Nov 2007

Thanks Vasili and LadyEye. (will keep the pdf file and refer as I go along)
        I have the structure in my head and know what I want to do, but it would be frustrating indeed to build a huge website, only to discover that there was a better/easier/more efficient way of doing something, especially if it's a major thing.

The tutorials are great, but reading through the forums made me realise that there are some things not covered in there.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Sunchaser View Post
          The tutorials are great, but reading through the forums made me realise that there are some things not covered in there.
          That's why having a few of your peers around comes in handy!

Seek out proven solutions from those who are near, and you will shorten your path to online success!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

There is nothing to it really.

You are the master of your own time. Half an hour during your lunch break,
            one or two hours after the kids are asleep and a much longer period during
            your weekends.

You can work on your web sit from home or office or in the park.
            If you have the will, you will be able to make time.

The most important is to start building your "index" page.
            Then you will not want to stop until you have achieved your goals.

The web is a goldmine. Learn to find your golden nich. Who knows
            you may even be successful and will be able to throw the 9 to 5 clock away.

I have practically searched the entire web and found that what VodaHost
            is providing to customers are far superior than any other hosting in the world.

I am not kidding you.

Dont be afraid take the first and you will thank yourself for doing it.
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
            X