Interested in a Web Hosting Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in a Web Hosting Change

I am in the process of wanting to change my Web Hosting Company, and VH is looking more and more interesting to me, however, I do have a few questions.

1. My current Web Hosting Contract does not expire until October 2008, how would this affect my "free" transfer/registration that comes with signing up with VH?
    2. Would I be able to do development on VH and then just do a transfer when my current contract is up?
    3. I have currently paid for ssl integration (https:), I believe this is paid for the next year. Would I have to do anything special with VH to keep this SSL Integration?
    4. I currently use MySQL with over 3500 products. Is this going to be a nightmare to move my database from my current host to VH should I choose to signup? Would I be able to simply export a sql file and import the sql file here?
    5. I need to know (honestly please .. ) how easy it is to import additional products into the MySql database once the Db is all setup and functioning ..

I appreciate the information. So far I like your pricing structure and the fact that your company actually has a working FAQ and a User Support Forum. My current hosting company is FAR from having this sort of thing, and the Customer Service with my current hosting company is EXTREMELY bad!!

Thanks,

David R.

Re: Interested in a Web Hosting Change

1) It won't effect a registration. If you want to use it for a free transfer, and if you are going to sign up for hosting now, but wait until October to move your website over, you will either have to transfer the domain and point the name servers back over to your current host (and then point the name servers back to VH when ready for it to be hosted here). The only other thing I can think of is see if they will let you wait to use the transfer until a later date, but I don't know if they do that. Of course if you are going to sign up now you might as well use the hosting, you can just do the transfer right away.

2) Yes, but you can only use BV to publish to Vodahost servers.

3) You have to have vodahost install the SSL certificate onto your hosting account.

4) If your current host has a tool such as PHPMyAdmin you can export your database and then import it to Vodahost. Keep in mind the file size though, if its 100 mb of sql data, you may not be able to import it all in one step. (You might have to break the file up into several one and import multiple files)

5) It would depend on your experience with mysql and interfaces/tools that go along with it. With PHPMyAdmin it can be done as simply as selecting a file with the sql queries, and hitting the import button.. There are multiple ways to import sql data though, some more complicated then others.

Hope that helps

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Re: Interested in a Web Hosting Change

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Excellent!!

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what would be the most "transparent" approach, but still allowing me to do some developement prior to fully switching over to Vodahost, not that I have a very high volume of hits on my current site.

Comment

Working...
      X