Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions

Hello everyone!
    I'm not yet a VH customer but have played arround with bluevoda a bit and I've decided to sign up. In fact I already started doing so, when a couple of questions arose with respect to the domaine name.

1. I thought of using the name "dr-ckv-psychotherapie.de" and found that in the drop down menue of the VH Order Wizzard there is no option ".de" available even though I read elswhere in this site that the option ".de" was possible. I would prefer ".de" since the site will be adressing Germans.

2. I read here that one should not use hyphens if possible. Would it be ok to name the site "dr.ckv.psychotherapie" or "dr.ckv-psychotherapie.de". The site is for a medical doctor practicing psychotherapy. The "ckv" is an abbreviation of her name.

3. I appreciate any answers - especially to questions you find not asked but to your experience should have been asked.

Thanks in advance!

HSE

Re: Some Questions

1) You can USE a .de, but VodaHost cannot register them. You will have to go through a German company to register it and then just point the name servers to vodahost.

2) To be perfectly honest, I would fine a different name. The point of a domain name is to have something easier to remember then an ip address. Marketing wise you want the domain to be something you can just say the domain name and people will know. If people have to stop and write it down or need you to spell it out then its not doing its job.

Having multiple hyphens is going to complicate it, and having "dr.ckv-psychotherapie.de" would mean registering "ckv-psychotherapie.de" and making a subdomain called "dr". Having "dr.ckv.psychotherapie" would mean registering "psychotherapie" creating a subdomain called "ckv", and then making a subdomain on the subdomain called "dr". (Note subdomains are created on your hosting account, it doesn't have to do with registering the actual domain).

The only characters you can have in a domain name are:

a-z
    0-9
    -

Hope that helps

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Re: Some Questions

@Watdaflip:

It helped. Thanks!

HSE

Comment

Working...
      X