Domain names and account use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain names and account use

First of all i was wondering if I purchased a domain name and then I would have a web hosting account then I could branch different pages of my website from the domain name? For example- www.mybluevodapage.com/page2.
    Would page 2 need me to create a new subscription or is it not needing since it branches off from www.mybluevodapage.com. Also if I did not need to create a new subscription then would I just click the publish button on the website builder and then the second page would be published no charge but I would have to log in to my web hosting account?

Thanks

Re: Domain names and account use

Your Vodahost account not only allows you to publish as many pages as you want under a given domain, but also to host as many domains as you want. I know, at first I couldn't believe it either. So if www.mybluevodapage.com is the primary (or "root") domain of your Vodahost account, you can:

- have a complete site at that web address (URL), including pages such as www.mybluevodasite.com/page2 (and page 3, and page 4, and so on)

- have other sites, such as www.mynextbluevodasite.com, with all the pages you want branching off it

All this can be done with a single Vodahost hosting account. And you don't have to "log into" your hosting account when you want to publish. As long as you have an Internet connection, you just create (or open up, if you've already created them) the page(s) you want to publish in BlueVoda and hit the Publish button for each of them.

Of course you have to learn how to link the pages you publish to a single domain in order to create a real, working web site at that location . . . but that's not difficult to learn.

When you are creating a page in BlueVoda, you can publish it to either your root domain OR to a subdomain that you've listed in your Control Panel. You just have to be sure these domains are "pointed to" the nameservers that Vodahost assigns to you.

As a newbie, you just need to study the tutorials really well and spend some time getting familiar with BlueVoda, and soon you'll be on your way.

Comment

Just to clarify a little bit on what Jim was explaining .....

With every VodaHost hosting account, you are allowed unlimited domains to be hosted within the same account -- as long as all the pages and information stored are within the storage allowances of 600gb per account.

+ You have ONE Primary Domain which is published to your Root Directory.

+ You are allowed unlimited Add-on Domains, and each requires a separate domain name purchase: you can purchase it directly from VodaHost or, if purchased elsewhere, it can be either transferred to your VodaHost account, or left wherever you registered that domain, and then "pointed" to your VodaHost account by making DNS (Domain Nameserver) changes at that other Registrar. You publish web pages for Add-on Domains to a specific Directory which is created easily in a few short clicks in your Control Panel, allowing that website to be accessed using the domain name itself (as seen as www.AddOnDomainName.com). An Add-on domain is not published to the root directory as mentioned earlier.

+ You are allowed unlimited Sub-Domains in your single VodaHost account, which are best thought as 'extensions' to your Primary Domain, and which are also easily created for you in a few short clicks using the Control Panel icons, which also creates the directory to which you publish a website to. You do not need to purchase a domain name for a Sub-Domain, as earlier mentioned it is an 'extension' of your Primary Domain even though it will 'present' a website as different as you wish it to be. A link to a sub-domain looks like this (as opposed to an Add-on Domain which does require a separate domain to be purchased): www.SubDomainNameHere.PrimaryDomainName.com
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank you, Vasili, for those clarifications. I've always had trouble remembering the difference between add-on domains and subdomains.

I've noticed something in my Control Panel: every time I list a new add-on domain (such as newaddon.com) in my VH account, the VH system uses that new domain to ALSO create a new subdomain of my primary domain (for example, newaddon.primarydomain.com is created automatically).

Why does it do this? Not that I mind, I'm just wondering. I've always published directly (and only) to the new add-on domains in my VH account. Are there certain situations where it would be better for me to publish to the auto-created subdomain?

Comment

Not exactly sure why the cPanel automatically creates a sub-domain, Jim, but I remember something from long ago being said that it is simply how the account is structured on the server --- something about the similarity of an add-on and a sub directory. Maybe it has more to do with the fact Fantastico! is an included utility and how (as an option) it automatically creates a "directory" for each script (basically a new sub).

Gen. Naval would be more definitive explaining this, I am sure.

Good to see you, BTW!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
          X