• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paresumes
    Private First Class

• Dec 2008

Thank you!

I've been rebuilding my website through BlueVoda, and when my account with my current host expires in a couple of weeks, I'll be moving over so that I can publish my updated website here. Thanks for having such an easy-to-learn site building tool...we'll see how well I did when I publish the thing, LOL.

Question: is it best just to let my current account expire and then start over here at VodaHost, or should I do a domain transfer first and then let my account expire? I've been looking for a new host anyway, since they weren't exactly "beginner friendly", and your prices are better anyway. :D

Any of those Christmas coupons coming up? That would be nice...:)

Anyway, thanks again for such a GREAT site building tool!

Kellye
    Professional Advantage Resumes
  • Marincky
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Thank you!

Hi Kellye,

To be honest it doesn't really matter, it's going to expire in a few days anyway as you say.

Your domain will have nothing to do with your hosting account, you can repoint that today, tomorrow or in a month it makes no difference even if your hosting has expired.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• paresumes
      Private First Class

• Dec 2008

Here's another question...next week sometime I will have my site hosted here; since my domain hosting is also due to expire soon (not as soon as my domain registration, however), I want to also register the domain name here. Is that an additional fee, or is that eligible for the "free domain name" deal?

Which leads me to my next question...if it isn't eligible for the deal, my husband would like to create a website and have it on this account as well. Since he doesn't have a domain registration yet, it would make sense to utilize the "free domain name" deal with his site. However, I want my business site to be the primary, not his site (since I'll be doing most of the account management). Is it possible to get the "free domain" on a secondary domain name, if the hosting account was started with an existing site vs. a new one?

Sorry if I've confused you...I'm confused myself...:)

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• navaldesign
        General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

You are not providing details about your current website : is it up and live? or not ? If the site is up and running, then you need to transfer in a way that will guarantee no downtime.

So, if your intention is to use the Domain Name that you already have, then you need to do the following:

1. Publish the new website you created in your VH account.

1. Before your Domain Name registration expires you need to transfer it to VH

OR

2. Before your Domain Name registration expires, renew it, with your old registrar, then point your DNS to your VodaHost account. This will guarantee that you will have no doWntime or problems. Then you may transfer at any time you like.

The free domain offer (free for 1 year) is valid only for new domains, not for existing ones. However, you are also entitled to ONE free transfer.

Usually, the free domain is the main domain of any account, so the new domain would be that of your husbant.

Please note that adding the old one as Addon Domain, makes ABSOLUTELY no difference! The only difference is that when you publish the pages through BV, you publis in public_hrml/domain_folder instead of simply public_html
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• paresumes
          Private First Class

• Dec 2008

Okay, my domain name registration expires 4/22/2010; my hosting expires in 10 days. Both are with the same host. Here's what I'm thinking I should do (and keep in mind I'm a real dummy about this stuff, which is why I'm wanting some reassurance here, LOL. I'll keep my domain name registered at the old place, at least for now (no rush, it seems), but host it here. We'll start with a new domain for my husband here, since it's free, and my site will be an add-on domain. I'll just have to figure out the whole pointing my site to the VH account, LOL. I've redone my site completely in BlueVoda anyway, and it's just waiting to be uploaded.

I guess that's my next question...once I point my DNS to my VH account, how can I "wipe out" the files there and simply start over with the site I created here? Again, it's all ready to go, but being an idiot about this stuff, I don't want to have old files mixed with the new ones and then I'm confused as to which ones to update when needed, etc.

Thanks for your help...that is exactly why I'm moving my hosting here! I've FINALLY found a host that can really help me with the stuff I don't understand!

Comment

• navaldesign
            General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Please note that since you are getting yourself a new account here at VH, the OLD files will no longer exist! They will remain in your previous hosting account, and when it expires, they will be deleted by the previous hoster (since you are closing the old hosting account)
            So there is no confusion at all.

As soon as you change your DNS, and after some hrs necessary for propagation of the new DNS through the net, the OLD site will no more be visible, because all users will be directed to the new one.

So i suggest that you:

1. Create the Addon (with the name of your site) in your VH account
            2. Publish your new site in your new account- Attention: you need to publish them in the Addon domain folder
            3. Change the DNS with your registrar, to point to your VH account

in the order that i specified.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
            X