This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for clarification

I am currently administrator of a small forum hosted at the moment as a subaccount of a larger forum. I am looking to transfer my own forum into its own domain. (If for any reason my parent forum was to close I would have no access to my own.)

The set up at the moment is
    http://www.domainname.com/forum (is the main domain)
    http://www.domainname.com/subdomain/forum (is where my own forum is located)
    I wouild like to have something like this
    http://www.mydomain.org.uk/forum
    would this be feasable or suggest how it might look.

My second question
    My present host stated when we began the relationship that if I ever decided to leave or he decided to close then he would be willing to pass on all the files relating to me (member list/discussions/etc). My present forum is powered by phpBB does this cause any problems?

I am looking to make the move in about 6 months time but would like to take advantage of the Christmas offer and have time to get the setup working to my satisfaction before the transfer is made.

I do have further questions but these are dependent on the answers to the above so would be pointless asking at this stage.

Anticipating your help.

Re: Request for clarification

you can move/copy your forum file into any location or even to a different server. as long as you take the database. if you want the moved forum to be independent to the first then changes to the database name also the config files within the forum files will be needed.
    if you need any help then contact me, and i'll runthough it with you.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you

So, if I was to register and build a dummy forum on the lines of my present one with its own domain name, when the time came that I was satisfied with my efforts I could transfer the database already held for me to your site and everthing should work seamlessly?

Comment

Originally posted by IChThUS View Post
        Thank you

So, if I was to register and build a dummy forum on the lines of my present one with its own domain name, when the time came that I was satisfied with my efforts I could transfer the database already held for me to your site and everthing should work seamlessly?
        Yes, just as long as you save the database and the config file from the forum files everything should be fine .. yes .. !!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi,

phpBB requires a server and if you are willing to buy your own server then you can test your forum on your own time.

Why waste time buying or leasing a server when it is more prudent to buy a
          Hosting account with VodaHost and then you will have your own shared server assigned to you plus your own cPanel and fantastico Deluxe is also included, with which you can install the latest phpBB3 forum free of charge,
          after which you can move your files over.

Buy a hosting account for Christmas and get a fee Domain for one year.
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Yes you can but you need to copy the database.

Comment

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
              Hi,

phpBB requires a server and if you are willing to buy your own server then you can test your forum on your own time.

Why waste time buying or leasing a server when it is more prudent to buy a
              Hosting account with VodaHost and then you will have your own shared server assigned to you plus your own cPanel and fantastico Deluxe is also included, with which you can install the latest phpBB3 forum free of charge,
              after which you can move your files over.

Buy a hosting account for Christmas and get a fee Domain for one year.
              I am not very technical, but I thought that is what I was seeking to do, perhaps I have not explained myself clearly.

The database currently in use will be made available to me should I wish to move from its current location.

I am almost ready to take advantage of the Christmas offer and take out a triannual plan [$197 (£12] once I am fully clear on what I am doing.

ie. Taking out such a plan would give me my own domain ( www.domainname.org.uk ) or whatever. My present forum could then be downloaded into it as www.domainname.org.uk/forum . And I take it that at a later date I could add another use as www.domainname.org.uk/otheruse.

Now do I understand corredtly? (I have 6 fairly busy days left.)

Comment

Working...
              X