Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring existing website to VodaHost

Hi there,

I am from a small Australian company and we are looking to redesign our current website - http://www.caminocapital.com/. We used a web design company to design the website originally and every time we need to make a change to it, it costs mega bucks even if the change is only a few words being added so we want to have the freedom to make changes ourselves as and when we need to.

So far I have gone through the tutorials and reproduced the website as closely as possible using the BlueVoda website builder so now I think we are ready to publish it but I have a few questions:

1. If we want to make changes to the site or add new pages etc. as the company grows then I understand this is pretty straightforward to do and is at no extra charge, is this correct?

2. I know we have to take out a VodaHost account to host the website. Do we need to liaise with our current website host, Melbourne IT, at any point to transfer the domain over?

3. The domain name was also registered with Melbourne IT as well as them hosting it, this won't cause any issues will it?

4. Finally (for now anyway), the domain was registered under my bosses name I believe so I understand that the VodaHost account will have to be under his name as well. Can you confirm this?

Any help on the above questions would be much appreciated and hopefully we'll be up online using VodaHost soon!

Thanks,

Marc.

Re: Transferring existing website to VodaHost

these are pretty basic questions, so here goes:
    1. making a new page is as simple as making the first page. put some color, design with graphics and add text. name the page New Page for our website, save the page as newpage and publish it.
    2a. yes you need a vodahost account. my suggestion is to buy the account having your own domain name. there is no extra charge for you to do it this way.
    2b. now comes the fun part. not sure what you mean by liaise with our current website host. the simple way is to call them and tell them you are changing hosting companies - they have control of your domain name as you bought that from them also. so once you have your account with vodahost - they will send you a login information letter. in this letter you will find your ip address, username and password. you will also have your dns numbers. call your melborne it company and ask them to change your dns numbers from the present one to the new ones that vodahost have given you. there are 2 numbers to change.
    3. it should not cause any issues, but i would call them before you buy your hosting package from vodahost just to make sure you will be able to do this. sometimes there are factors that the present hosting company will want to use so that you do not change over. be firm, honest and professional with them and it should all work out well. if they try to give you a hard time, and they might, you can ask that the domain name be transferred to another domain name company like go *****.
    4. since you are not changing the company that you purchased your domain name from, the name on the account will not matter, just as long as it is registered properly.
    i hope this helps, and if you need more on hands help, just contact me through my website.
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Just joined this forum to ask virtually the same questions! So thanks!
      JessX

Comment

Hey Camino,

Melbourne IT are a pain to deal with (by experience)

If you want me to take care of this for you contact me here

I will do that for you for no charge.

But tell me what exactly you want to transfer, is it the Domain as well as the Hosting or Just the Hosting?

Please do not cancel anything with Melbourne IT until you contact me, I can help with that.

Cheers mate.
        The Producer

Comment

Working...
        X