• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNA
    Corporal

• Oct 2009

Looking for a bit of re assurance

I currently have a domain name for my business that i wish to put a website on. I was happily designing away on Bluevoda (great program btw) then read the site had to be hosted by you. Not a great problem but i have two concerns

1. can i transfer my web domain over too you www.?????????.com and how will this effect my emails addresses that are currently set up- paul@???????????.com that are hosted by the web people i have the domain with?

2. I live in the UK and there seems little support for us, one number that no one ever answers (tried calling about these concerns).

If you could put my mind at rest I'll sign up tomorrow!!!
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: Looking for a bit of re assurance

VH works mostly with support tickets and support by this very forum. Rarely you will need help from the help desk.

Regarding your questions: you can transfer your domain name, or leave it with your current registrar. In this second case, you will only need to point your DNS to your new VH account nameservers. After you do that, you can setup the same email addresses within your new account. You might need to tweak your Outlook Express (or whatever else you use...) settings with the new mailservers (that will be like mail.yourdomain.com). This takes about 5 minutes.

However, after you change the DNS, it might take 4 - 24 hrs for propagation through the internet. During this period your email addresses might not work.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• RNA
      Corporal

• Oct 2009

Thanks navaldesign i'm new to the whole web hosting game so didnt want to go bothering people all day long on here!!!! that why I thought i needed a help centre but if that not the case great.

As i am new to this i'll do whatever's easiest to manage and quickest too get the site up and running. So if you could advise me whether to leave the domain or change it that would be great.

Also if i change DNS (not sure what that is by the way!!!!) will i lose all the emails currently on my inbox?

Thanks

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

You can simply get an account, and point the DNS, which will get you up and running with practically zero downtime. Than, at your convenience, you can transfer at any time.

Make sure, when using the Order wizard, to select the option "I already have a domain name". This will result in NOT getting a free domain name, but your existing domain name will be the primary domain name for that account, which will make your life easier with publishing (since you are rather new to this).

If instead you select the "free domain name" option, your existing site will need to be added as Add on domain. Nothing too difficult, just some more learning to do before you can add the existing domain name and start using it for publishing and for email addresses.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• RNA
          Corporal

• Oct 2009

ok thanks, i'll point the DNS at the domain name i already have and go from their. As long as theirs not to much disruption to the email address it will be fine.

got a feeling i'll be on here alot over the coming weeks!!!

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by RNA View Post
            ok thanks, i'll point the DNS at the domain name i already have and go from their.
            More correctly said: you will point the dns OF the existing domain name TO your newly purchased Vodahost account DNS.

I edited your first post so that your email address won't be cought by spam bots.
            Navaldesign

Comment

• RNA
              Corporal

• Oct 2009

thanks, learning alot already!!!!!! lol

Comment

Working...
              X