Developing on Another's Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing on Another's Account

I am involved with an organization and they have asked me to develop a number of sites using their company's VodaHost account. I will need to access cPanel to add a name server (their domain names are registered with another company) and I will use the BlueVoda web site builder.

I have an account with Vodahost separate from this so I assume I can just use my existing site builder.

Two things for now:
    1) Exactly how is the name server pointing done?
    2) What info do I need to develop these for them from my computer...username, password I assume; but what about publishing? Is there a specific IP address I will need?

Although I have used the site builder quite a bit, these above things I'm not sure of.

Thanks a lot.

Preston

Re: Developing on Another's Account

good questions:
    1. you can use your website builder. what i would do and do do is make a folder for each website in your documents/bluevoda. lets say you have 3 websites. i also will assume that you have 1 main website with 2 add ons. lets call them:
    website1.com - your main website - do not make a special folder for this site as it will all go into the public_html folder automatically.
    website2.com - add on
    website3.com - add on
    now when they paid the vodahost for the hosting they got a letter that has their ip address, username and password. this is the information that you will use for your main website. so you build home page, save it as index and then publish this page in your public_html folder - this folder is the default folder when you use the publish button at the top. so you would do the same for each page that you have built for the main site. now you have a domain name, www.website1.com and you have in that same letter your dns servers. it will look like this
    ns1.vodahost23.com
    ns2.vodahost23.com
    if you purchased your domain name from blue voda then you will not have to do anything with this information as blue voda will point this site to that server automatically. let's say you purchased the domain name for Go *****, then you will log into your go ***** account, go to dns servers and copy and paste the information from you letter into the proper place at go *****. you can call go ***** or from whoever you purchased the domain name from.
    LETS TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND HAVE A NICE GLASS OF RED WINE NOW!
    for the 2nd site which will be an add on site - just follow the tutorials to set this up in your cpanel - if you go slowly, it will not be too difficult to do this.
    Create a new folder in your blue voda folder in documents and call the folder:
    website2 - create an image folder for this website separate to the image folder for the main website. if you have videos create a media folder, but keep them separate. now you create the home page for website #2 and save the page as index into the new website2 folder. when you publish this you use the same ip address, username and password. the only thing you add is to the public_html section. it will look like this:
    www.website1.com/website2.com
    i hope you can see what is happening. you save to the proper website and you tell the hosting company that you have 2 different websites. again your dns server will have to reflect the same as the main websit. if you purchased this domain from go *****, you go to the go ***** website and you point the dns numbers to the hosting company.
    this is quite long and if you need some one on one help, just call me through my website. once you do this a couple of times it becomes 2nd nature.
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

WOW! First, thank you so much...and I will need that glass of red wine! I think I get the idea but, I can also see I'm going to have to get super organized. See, I have a primary account of my own with two add-ons so I am familiar with adding-on. But this organization I spoke of will likely have me building 50 sites. Now they will be about 4 page sites to start and very similar (not hard just time)but I have been a little carefree about where all my pages, images, etc. are on my computer. I need to get all my stuff in one sock before I start on theirs. At that point, I will probably contact you about this for some pointers. And please know, I appreciate the offer. Once I get going it should go fine. Thanks again!

Comment

you are welcome - you have to be organized before you can organize someone else's place.
        mrmagoo144
        www.videopostcards.info

Comment

you can use your website builder. what i would do and do do is make a folder for each website in your documents/bluevoda. lets say you have 3 websites. i also will assume that you have 1 main website with 2 add ons. lets call them:
          website1.com - your main website - do not make a special folder for this site as it will all go into the public_html folder automatically.
          website2.com - add on
          website3.com - add on
          Devis comparatif mutuelle sante | Comparateur mutuelles sante | Comparer comparatif mutuel

Comment

Working...
          X