Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live or not when building in Soho?

Karen,

I have downloaded the products from SOL and have to get rid of all the references to that store builder and the pages.

Does this mean anything since I have a BV site up and running in VodaHost?

[If you already have a website on your main "root" account. Please Click Here
    to submit a support ticket and ask for a complete account reset.]

I would like to know if I install Soho if I would wipe out the first domain that I initiated. Otherwise, I think I am ready to try to build the store.

I did look at the SoHo forum posting link you provided, but it looks confusing to me. I am willing to have some down time with my current SOL store in order to get the one in SoHo up and running.

One last quick question: Do I have to store all the images that are on the SOL site in a separate folder and upload them?

Ted
    Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Ted,

Yes to the images.

You could do an ADD ON domain and install soho to the add on, you dont have to install it over your bv site. Thats the beauty here Ted, You can make all the sites you want to. You could also do a subdomain off the main domain, but I dont recommend that if you are going to run a second domain anyway.

Just go to the control panel, click on the add on domain, type in the name and go! Then go install soho, and then you can follow those temporary instructions for starting soho and getting your files set to csv and upload.. Read the instructions in the manual to upload your csv. I recommend putting in ONE product so you can see the layout. Make sure you have all your categories set, put the category number in you csv and you will be good to go. Or you could up them all to one category then edit them one by one.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen,

Thanks for the quick response. Now I'm off to do it.

Ted
        Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac
          You could sort of do what Race suggested.

You could download the mysql database as a csv, then move the images folder out so that you could save it. Save any custom template you built, copy the code for your outer pages or do them all as custom html so that all you have to do is reup them. Uninstall soho, do the add on domain, reinstall soho on the domain, redo your categories, then upload your csv file, over write the new images file with the saved one, and copy and paste your pages in.

I dont think you could just copy the files without tweaking the includes and the database connection, i think you have to use the install to do this unless you really KNOW what you are doing in the mysql and php end of it.

Might check the boys at soho for the quid pro qous to be sure, but i think it will be more involved than simply moving it, just from the experience with soho and its quirks. During the installation I think it does some proprietary database coding for the domain name itself, not just in the product end of it, but in writing the includes and relative linking system.

Karen

Sorry, Karen, but I disagree. Files can be moved anywhere you like and directories can be renamed at will. As long as the config file that connects to the database isn't changed, it will all work just fine.
          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Race,

Sorry, Karen, but I disagree. Files can be moved anywhere you like and directories can be renamed at will. As long as the config file that connects to the database isn't changed, it will all work just fine.
            Thats what im trying to say here, is that I think SOHO does depend on the domain name to connect when you install it, and if you rename it or move it and its NOT the same name, you will have to reconnect it. Thats why i said check the boys at soho to insure we dont get into that wreck. On the other hand if it does, you could just download all the tables and reup them to the other domain.. I think.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen,

Well the question is not what can be done in various ways right now. The question is going to be what do I have to do now to get the store up and running.

I have pointed the DNS to VodaHost servers and installed SoHo on the domain name I have with SOL. I am now waiting for it to do whatever it does so that I can enter a product like you suggested and see what happens.

I watched the videos again and I think once the domain name propagates I will be able to build the store okay.

One question I have: Do you need a dedicated IP and an SSL certificate for the store using SoHo? If so, I will be getting that today sometime.

Thanks for the discussion Karen and Race. It does give me some things to think about.

Karen, I did go to the SoHo forum and joined. I looked around and found some very good information there.

Ted
              Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Hello All,

Client number: 9804

Well I did everything I was supposed to do and I cannot log into the Soho Admin.

Anybody know how long it is supposed to take after redirection of the Nameservers before the Soh cPanel can be accessed?

Thanks,

Ted
                Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Ted, Sorry.. should be within 24 hours.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hello All,

Client Number: 9804

This is beginning to be ridiculous. I sent in a support ticket and "Hank" said that I needed to install it correctly. I did. Now I tried to uninstall it and don't know if it is uninstalled because I can't re-install the darned thing.

I am getting extremely frustrated because of this and the fact that the addon domain looks like it is a subdomain and that is not what I wanted.

I may have to have the whole darned thing reset so I can start over.

I have just submitted another support ticket to try to get this mess straightened out.

Ted
                    Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Ted,

Im sorry you are having issues. If you pm me your number on the other forum, when I get in this evening I will call you and work with you. I probably wont be in til around 8 pm central. Im sure its something simple! Its those SIMPLE things that are MOST frustrating!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen and all who are viewing,

The simple things were what did it. I may have been a little impatient with the system.

The soho admin is working now and will do as we discussed on the phone.

Thanks again for your help.

Ted
                        Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Karen and Other Interested Parties,

I am now able to build my store. It is going well and I have asked for the SSL and dedicated IP address to be installed.

Hopefully soon I will ask for a site review.

Ted
                          Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Working...
                          X