• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HumBird
    First Sergeant

• Nov 2005

changing from BV to Soho

I've decided to completely redo my BV website in Soho but it will take quite some time to do this. Can my BV site stay on line while I build the new Soho version? Can i publish what I have done in Soho and link the two sites?
    HumBird
    www.Humnew.com
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: changing from BV to Soho

Yes, you can do both. But, in order to do this, Soho must be installed in a subdomain.

It will not be possible, after you have finished, to move the Soho site in your public_html folder.

So I suggest the following:

1. Create a folder, and move there (or republish in there) ALL your BV pages. Let's call this folder "main".

2. Create an "index.html" page that will simply redirect to this "main" folder.
    3. Delete all files from "public_html" exept this "index.html".
    4. Install Soho in the main root (public_html). This is simply done by choosing to install Soho in the main domain.
    5. Create your site with Soho. It will NOT be visible directly because you have the "index.html" page that redirects to the old site (now hosted in the "main" folder)

When done with Soho, you can delete this "index.html" file from the server. and your Soho site will go live.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• HumBird
      First Sergeant

• Nov 2005

Thanks! that seem pretty straightforward.
      Will soho run on a Mac computer? I know BV doesn't.
      HumBird
      www.Humnew.com

Comment

• Sperry73lp
        Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2009

Hi Navaldesign

We are working on this same project. We have spent the entire day trying to figure this out...lol...
        can you further explain
        step 1... where do we create the "main" folder for the BV pages? are you referring to the BV pages we make changes to that are on our personal computer or the pages that have been published to our server?

number 2... do we redirect to an internal webpage? we did this and it redirected but it spazzed out and tried to load the page over and over and over..etc.. how do we avoid that?

number 3... if we delete all our public html files from our server how does our original bv site show up while we recreate the new soho site?

i may have other questions but this is all i can think of now...
        thank you so much!

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

1. The "main" folder should be created in "public_html".
          2. The pages should be the ones that you are currently using, that is, the ones you have published in your site. This, because you will need to move these files (pages) in this folder in order to keep the site alive for the time period required to build the new site in Soho.
          3. This is what I explained in point 2 above: you move the BV files in "main" and create an "index.html" page with a redirect that sends them in the "main" folder.

Of course, ALL your menus and links will need to be edited to take into account the fact that the files are not anymore in "public_html" but in "main". So your links will need to be transformed.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• WSBlue
            Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

thread subcribed

Comment

• HumBird
              First Sergeant

• Nov 2005

Naval
              thanks again, but I still need to know if soho will work on a Mac as well as a PC
              HumBird
              www.Humnew.com

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Yes, it does, because Soho doesn't work on your computer, it works on the server, and you make all administration and building tasks through your browser.
                Navaldesign

Comment

• HumBird
                  First Sergeant

• Nov 2005

Thank you! I'm about to buy a laptop and may end up with a Mac.
                  HumBird
                  www.Humnew.com

Comment

• Sperry73lp
                    Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2009

Hey there... ok i've created the main folder in public_html.. do only move the bv pages, that are now .html or .php pages, or do i move all the other files in the public_html folder.. ie. .jpg, .wmv, .wma, subdomains?

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Not sure what you mean by "subdomains". Do you actually mean subdomains, or subfolders ? (they are different things)

For your pages to work properly, you need to move everything in the "main" folder, with respect to the eventual subfolders structure. In other words, you should be able to see, when browsing the "main" folder, the same things that you see now in public_html.

Not only, but, if you have used absolute links in your menus (like http://www.yourdomain.com/pagename.html you will need to change them to http://www.yourdomain.com/main/pagename.html

Might be easier if you just re-published your BV pages, directly in public_html/main . If any files like PDFs, wma, mp3 etc were uploaded and linked from within , you will also need to update the links for them.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

• Sperry73lp
                        Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2009

Thats a good idea, we are going to republish them directly!

could you explain "If any files like PDFs, wma, mp3 etc were uploaded and linked from within , you will also need to update the links for them." this a bit more? I believe that all of our content is on the vodahost server??

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

I mean that if, in example, you had a PDF download, linked as http://www.yourdomain.com/filename.pdf you will need to change it to http://www.yourdomain.com/main/filename.pdf
                          Navaldesign

Comment

• loribelle
                            Staff Sergeant

• Jan 2007

I have posted the same question about my MACBOOK being compatible with Soholaunch, and received conflicting responses. I assumed that being an online tool vs. downloadable program, that Soholaunch would be the answer for me as a converted macbook user. I saw conflicting information in the Soho users manual, so I contacted the support desk for the 2nd time, and the final response I got was:
                            "You would need a PC emulator program to use soholaunch on your Mac.
                            Thank you,
                            Hank"

I have parallels for macbook and of course I knew I could run it through there but didn't want to since it can be quirky at times and I'd have to convert the file paths of all my photos. I love my macbook and will try to work it through the parallels PC emulator for the remainder of my commitment...unless the company creates a macbook compatible program.
                            Lori
                            www.loribelledesigns.com

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Incorrect.

As well said, Soho is browser based, it will work through any system, windows or Mac or linux OS based.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X