X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Night Nerves

Hello everyone,

Here is my site and I would love to hear your views. A few notes:
    past work isn't finished yet and my webform isn't working (but I'll deal with that tomorrow I think).

www.spirited-events.com

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thank you
    Sam (Samantha not Samuel)

www.spirited-events.com

Purveyors of divine experiences!

Re: First Night Nerves

I like it, well layed out and easy to navigate. The only bit I don't like is the way every page opens up in a new window. Otherwise a nice site, great for the weekend drinking sessions lol
    Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
    FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

Thanks Mook25, I have been wondering about the way the pages open and trying to decide how would be best so that's really helpful. The only thing is that I was worried that the menu changed once past the first pages (if you're with me) and I just didn't want to confuse anyone too much. I'll change it tomorrow and see what happens.

Weekend drinking sessions - lol - am thinking that perhaps I should add a page of hangover cures haha!

Thanks so much for looking

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

Looks wonderful! Neat layout. Your well on yourway to a fantastic site.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Very interesting. The only things I see immediately - is the need to have a link other than the 'dangling' ones on the home page - at first glance I was looking at it as the type of page where I needed to "enter". While I think everyone will figure it out - an easy solution would be to make the picture a link to a general page with all the links on it - maybe to a site map, even. Just an idea.

All the pages need better titles - using your keywords.

The cont services page has some text almost overlapping - which can be easily solved by moving the pics slightly. The 2nd services page also opened as a new page - which would make me leave your website. I don't do that - and it's not recommended within your own website (you do want to do it when it's a link to another website). Actually, I just discovered that on all the pages now - which means I didn't see any more pages - I do not want 100 pages open to the same website - and people browsing at work can't afford that. It also slows down their computers -

Great job - I like the colors and how you've done it - great eye you have. Now is tweaking.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Amazing.. really nice... good job.

Comment

Very creative use of images and layout....conveys versatile perspectives well (something of great demand in your offering, yes?).

I liked your use of "right-click deny".....whose script did you use?

In "About Us" there is the first instance of inadvertant text spacing (second body of text). This can be avoided in BV if you remember to simply add an extra 'space' after the last text you type.

To satisfy Beth's earlier mention of the Main Page Menu being difficult (a very valid point) you may simply wish to re-do the "buttons" having your text read vertically.
              L
              I
              K
              S.......

And, personally, I prefer all windows in retail sites to open anew....I want my Main to be there after customer's drill in to find more. (It's the same amount of clicks to close windows as it is to "return" but it is the only sure-fire way to always have your Main be the last to exit). We all know how beneficial it is to keep your name in front as long as possible, right? I would agree though, that there must be a reasonable limit to this, possibly for sites under 10 pages, and for sites larger, then only certain "category" or "admin" page types...

And...I think if you tone down the pink tint a wee bit in your backgrounds, you will really get more of the "soothing" aspect you were seeking.

All in all, Great Job!
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Sam

I like the pink and the dangles, but... Maybe they should be bigger, cuz like Beth, it took me a bit to figure out that was also your menu. I kept looking around for more.

And, I disagree with Vasili on the open pages in a new link. You only want to do that for pictures and links OFF your site. NOTHING annoys me more than popups and 500 windows. If I get there and find thats what they do, it will be the last time I am there. I'm not fond of POPUNDERS either.
                You can captivate your audience without trying to trick them with each link opening in a new window. I'd rather keep their attention honestly, than annoy them and keep them there by ruse.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks everyone, let me play with it a bit and get back to you. This is sooooooo brilliant, I am so glad that I found vodahost! You are all stars

Sam
                  x

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
                    Very interesting. The only things I see immediately - is the need to have a link other than the 'dangling' ones on the home page - at first glance I was looking at it as the type of page where I needed to "enter". While I think everyone will figure it out - an easy solution would be to make the picture a link to a general page with all the links on it - maybe to a site map, even. Just an idea.

All the pages need better titles - using your keywords.

The cont services page has some text almost overlapping - which can be easily solved by moving the pics slightly. The 2nd services page also opened as a new page - which would make me leave your website. I don't do that - and it's not recommended within your own website (you do want to do it when it's a link to another website). Actually, I just discovered that on all the pages now - which means I didn't see any more pages - I do not want 100 pages open to the same website - and people browsing at work can't afford that. It also slows down their computers -

Great job - I like the colors and how you've done it - great eye you have. Now is tweaking.
                    Hi Beth,
                    I can't see where the text is overlapping on my services continued page, it seems fine from here, could you give me an idea please?
                    I am in the middle of changing all of my links I'm sure that all of you who have mentioned this will be pleased to hear!!!
                    My other question is how can I make my page titles better?
                    Thanks for your lovely comments. Unfortunately it' not all my own work, I bought a template a long time ago to use for this but have had to do a lot of work to change it to fit of course, the colours are our business colours, the business card and obviously the photos etc etc are all down to me.
                    Thanks Beth
                    Sam

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                      Very creative use of images and layout....conveys versatile perspectives well (something of great demand in your offering, yes?).

I liked your use of "right-click deny".....whose script did you use?

In "About Us" there is the first instance of inadvertant text spacing (second body of text). This can be avoided in BV if you remember to simply add an extra 'space' after the last text you type.

To satisfy Beth's earlier mention of the Main Page Menu being difficult (a very valid point) you may simply wish to re-do the "buttons" having your text read vertically.
                      L
                      I
                      K
                      S.......

And, personally, I prefer all windows in retail sites to open anew....I want my Main to be there after customer's drill in to find more. (It's the same amount of clicks to close windows as it is to "return" but it is the only sure-fire way to always have your Main be the last to exit). We all know how beneficial it is to keep your name in front as long as possible, right? I would agree though, that there must be a reasonable limit to this, possibly for sites under 10 pages, and for sites larger, then only certain "category" or "admin" page types...

And...I think if you tone down the pink tint a wee bit in your backgrounds, you will really get more of the "soothing" aspect you were seeking.

All in all, Great Job!
                      Hi Vasili,
                      Thanks for looking at my site and for your comments, if you look at my reply to Beth you will see that I unfortunately cannot take all the credit - maybe one day eh?
                      I used a script from Aliens Anonymous, isn't it brilliant? If you like mine you'll 'love' Aliens, it's very funny.
                      Can I ask what you mean by inadvertant text spacing on my "about us" page?
                      Thanks so much again
                      Sam

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

P.S Thanks to all of you for all the lovely comments and for taking the time to take a look, it is much appreciated
                        xxx

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't check the overlapping as I can't open your site right now - I get a "Sphere" page which says to log in through the control panel???

As to page titles - make them have your keywords - be descriptive. For example, you wouldn't want "Home" for a title, but you could have Event Planning by Spirited Events (as I can't get on your site, this is just a memory thing - event planning might not be the best keyword or words to use) - take a look at some of our stores/sites for ideas. But USE the title to give the visitors and se's what they will actually find on each page.
                          Beth
                          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by sampussycat
                            Hi Vasili,
                            Thanks for looking at my site and for your comments, if you look at my reply to Beth you will see that I unfortunately cannot take all the credit - maybe one day eh?
                            I used a script from Aliens Anonymous, isn't it brilliant? If you like mine you'll 'love' Aliens, it's very funny. Thought so....I like his marvelously!
                            Can I ask what you mean by inadvertant text spacing on my "about us" page?
                            Thanks so much again
                            Sam
                            Sam-

If you look closely, the 'bottom lines' of text body drops lower than normal line-to-line spacing....and in BV when you compose text in a Text box, if after the last period (for example) you simply touch the spacebar one more time (adding an extra "space") your text 'body' won't reform downward as the Textbox tries to automatically create margins.
                            This eliminates what appears to be a "1.5" line spacing on the last line.

Just a little hinter I remember having torn my hair out...
                            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
                              Unfortunately, I can't check the overlapping as I can't open your site right now - I get a "Sphere" page which says to log in through the control panel???

As to page titles - make them have your keywords - be descriptive. For example, you wouldn't want "Home" for a title, but you could have Event Planning by Spirited Events (as I can't get on your site, this is just a memory thing - event planning might not be the best keyword or words to use) - take a look at some of our stores/sites for ideas. But USE the title to give the visitors and se's what they will actually find on each page.
                              Oh how weird! Why would that happen? It's ok here.

I am such a fool, I have figured out the page titles now, I was thinking of the names that I save the pages as and all of a sudden it dawned on me - der! Think I'm getting there with them now. Still think I have lots of work to do. I will be interested to see what you think of the titles once I have finished them, so long as I've got it right this time - haha!

Thanks as always

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

Working...
                              X