• Show
Clear All
  • WebMagic
    First Sergeant

• Feb 2006

Asking for Website Review

Hello Everyone!

Am just finishing up this website:

I want to send Press Releases soon, and generate articles and blog posts for more attention. I don't know anything about search engine submission, but want to do that too. Right now, I have to do everything at NO COST.

I'm concerned about my sales download page and thankyou pages being visible when I don't want them to be.

All comments are welcome, especially those about protecting anything I should protect.

Appreciate the help and advice!
    WebMagic
  • intiendes
    Corporal

• Aug 2006

Re: Asking for Website Review

GOOD ADDITION:
    hover on menu's ...
    favicon ...
    alignment to center

Good luck
    :) Screen Capture
    Check your website on any BROWSER, OS and at different RESOLUTION. Join in Forum for more info.

Comment

• WebMagic
      First Sergeant

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by intiendes
      GOOD ADDITION:
      hover on menu's ...
      favicon ...
      alignment to center

Good luck
      Hi intiendes!

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "hover on menu's". Is that a drop down of subcategories?

Explain how I would use a Favicon?

On each page's Properties, I do have it set as "Center in Browser". Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your suggestions. This is my first website, so I need lots of feedback!

WebMagic

Comment

• Bethers
        Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Website looks good.

I'm a big animal lover - but would never click and donate to something that doesn't give me more info about the organization to which the donations are going. You are in Canada - I know in the US you have to have a link, at least, telling about the organization - what percentage of the money goes to that. And where is this money going - HOW is it going to stop euthanasia unnecessarily? I have lots of questions - and only see a click to contribute without ANY info - which makes me feel bogus and tells me to run.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

• glenmike
          Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Hey Sylvia! Great look and organiztion. Links I tried worked. First effort? Really? If that page is your first shot, then you have another area to develop and market.

I agree with Beth in that requests for money - to purchase goods and services, or contribute to anything - without appropriate information and verifiable platform sources, like who is the parent 5013c for the non-profit, etc., will lead the smart web consumer to look elsewhere... quickly. Need mo' betta' info there.

I also don't believe that having your web page to the left of the screen (not centered) is any big deal. Really. I run into both personal and corporate supported sites which are not centered all the time. It's an asthetic move only. Personally, I'm more interested in the look and the content, and not if it sits to the left of the monitor screen (exception: unless it's too far to the right! and has to be scrolled into).

Looks to me like you are down to the tweaking stage only. Very nice.

Poppi
          A scenic driving guide to New Mexico state. Whether you are looking for a day trip, weekend getaway or planning a road trip, our guides provide you with the perfect scenic drive.

Comment

• WebMagic
            First Sergeant

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bethers
            Website looks good.

I'm a big animal lover - but would never click and donate to something that doesn't give me more info about the organization to which the donations are going. You are in Canada - I know in the US you have to have a link, at least, telling about the organization - what percentage of the money goes to that. And where is this money going - HOW is it going to stop euthanasia unnecessarily? I have lots of questions - and only see a click to contribute without ANY info - which makes me feel bogus and tells me to run.
            Hi Bethers!

I've got to get the "hang" of these posts! I just wrote a detailed response to you and lost the whole dang thing!

To summarize: I will be providing detail about the animal shelter fund and prevention of euthanasia via a link that provides a Charitable Tax Number for an organization incorporated as a Society in 1998. Good track record, and great people.

The other Donation boxes are strictly for professional costs to purchase and review materials that could be very valuable for my website visitors and subscribers. My situation is less than a shoestring budget - more like, two ***** - one **** lace. I can write a blurb to explain how the donations can be used as Professional Development business expense, or some such.

To be so financially streched seems unprofessional in its explanation, so I would rather indicate the value of Professional Development tax receipts (issued via PayPal).

I have seen your knowledgeable critiques before, and I would love to hear back from you.

If "Necessity is the Mother of Invention", perhaps "Desperation is the Father of Audacity". Source: Me.

WebMagic

Comment

• WebMagic
              First Sergeant

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by glenmike
              Hey Sylvia! Great look and organiztion. Links I tried worked. First effort? Really? If that page is your first shot, then you have another area to develop and market.

I agree with Beth in that requests for money - to purchase goods and services, or contribute to anything - without appropriate information and verifiable platform sources, like who is the parent 5013c for the non-profit, etc., will lead the smart web consumer to look elsewhere... quickly. Need mo' betta' info there.

I also don't believe that having your web page to the left of the screen (not centered) is any big deal. Really. I run into both personal and corporate supported sites which are not centered all the time. It's an asthetic move only. Personally, I'm more interested in the look and the content, and not if it sits to the left of the monitor screen (exception: unless it's too far to the right! and has to be scrolled into).

Looks to me like you are down to the tweaking stage only. Very nice.

Poppi
              www.newmexicorides.com
              Hey Poppi!

Thanks to you too for the comments! I am creating explanatory pages from links at the Donation sites to give credence to everything - I hope. I am aligning with a Society that's been in operation WITH A CHARITABLE TAX NUMBER since 1998. I just want them to send some of the funds to the small town where I currently live to help with our great need for animal protection.

Also in this thread, you should see my response to Bethers about Professional Development tax receipts.

On to something else, I don't understand why my pages would be hanging left - or right, for that matter. For each and every page, I selected the option of "Center in Browser". Am I missing something about Browsers? I really can't figure it out.

By the way, your initial comment took me by surprise...that I might have "another area to develop and market". I feel like one "world-weary" webmaster by accident. (Got a love-hate relationship with the process of the LEARNING CURVE!)

However...you intrigued me. What do you think I can/could capitalize on? Your ideas could be "webmagic". Am very curious.

Thanks again,
              WebMagic

PS I'll re-post the website following additions regarding requests for donations.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by WebMagic
                To summarize: A. I will be providing detail about the animal shelter fund and prevention of euthanasia via a link that provides a Charitable Tax Number for an organization incorporated as a Society in 1998. Good track record, and great people.
                B. The other Donation boxes are strictly for professional costs to purchase and review materials that could be very valuable for my website visitors and subscribers.
                C. I can write a blurb to explain how the donations can be used as Professional Development business expense, or some such.... so I would rather indicate the value of Professional Development tax receipts (issued via PayPal created by your site).
                A. All of this is not required, and only contributes to the clutter of your website. Since you are not a Charity, providing a link to your "presented" charity is all you should do, and all you need to do: let them collect the money in the special manner prescibed. Keeping things 'unofficial' bodes better than trying to truly 'sell your cause.' There are no requirements for promoters or representatives of charitable or non-profits to disclose anything like "what percentage of the money goes to that"....that is for the receiving registered organization to assure compliance with, not yours! You are merely presenting the opportunity.

B. Personally, I feel this is in poor taste, and is such a negative aspect to any professional presentation it is hard for me to believe that you actually present it. I can appreciate the fact you are running on fumes, but I suggest you re-think this, maybe transforming it to a "Members Only" area, where serious clients (real or potential) who would directly benefit would specifically fund a "solution" if you will. Out for the general public, it's too akin to begging, and as alluded to by Beth above, there is a hole in your accountability on this one.

C. Your "blurb" should be no more than something like "Remember, any monies spent on our Products or Services may be deductible. Consult your Tax Preparer for details." No need to oversell this issue, or spread yourself too thin either.

Technical:
                1. A suggestion was made to add 'mouseovers' to your Menu and links. I second the suggestion, as it would add some "action" and convey a little more attention to detail, the mark of professionalism - something elemental to your "purpose" obviously. (Find this feature in BV, lower left toolbar).
                2. The entire purpose of your site is your message, which you have carefully composed. Why, then, do you have seemingly non-essential pictures so large and obstructive other than to "set the mood"? Quotes and snippets don't foster the understanding or the engagement you seek, so re-thinking them might be in order. Have you thought of creative backgrounds rather than peppering the margins with calendar-like images and quotes?
                3. Double-spaced (and highlighted) text does not make it easier to read, but only makes for an awkward flow and feel. In addition, it appears to be almost "just another eBook seller" type of site with all the screaming heads and highlighting. Keeping your content short and simple, properly composed and in a uniform manner demonstrates the clarity and singularity of your unique message. It either flies or falls, and shouldn't depend on fluff to keep it afloat.
                4. Have you considered making a 10-30 second audio or video clip as an intro to your site, or as a play when an item is clicked? Much more clever than yellow highlights, and humanly reassuring, as they can hear a real person, not just read whatever was put in front of them! (Besides, wouldn't it be so much better than all the other competing sites that don't?) If you have to resort to it, you can even take a video clip with your cell phone and email it to yourself, ready to load on your page!

You have done a lot of really nice work, and poured your heart into it - and it shows. But, because you DO care so, don't allow yourself to get caught up in the details that others are oblivious to, and focus more on the heights you can accomplish.

"In My Opinion"
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by WebMagic
                  On to something else, I don't understand why my pages would be hanging left - or right, for that matter. For each and every page, I selected the option of "Center in Browser". Am I missing something about Browsers? I really can't figure it out. Am very curious..
                  As you check to see that you clicked on "center" also note the page dimensions....sometimes when we move things around or even click off to the side of the page in BV, the settings on page width "remember" that, and unless they are always one of the last things to be verified before Saving, we publish pages that although are "centered" are running off uneven page widths.
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• WebMagic
                    First Sergeant

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Vasili
                    As you check to see that you clicked on "center" also note the page dimensions....sometimes when we move things around or even click off to the side of the page in BV, the settings on page width "remember" that, and unless they are always one of the last things to be verified before Saving, we publish pages that although are "centered" are running off uneven page widths.
                    Hi Vasili,

That must be what I have done. Running off page width, or worse, making each page completely different in size (height and width). Harrumph! Gotta go fix it all.

WebMagic

Comment

• WebMagic
                      First Sergeant

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Vasili
                      A. All of this is not required, and only contributes to the clutter of your website. Since you are not a Charity, providing a link to your "presented" charity is all you should do, and all you need to do: let them collect the money in the special manner prescibed. Keeping things 'unofficial' bodes better than trying to truly 'sell your cause.' There are no requirements for promoters or representatives of charitable or non-profits to disclose anything like "what percentage of the money goes to that"....that is for the receiving registered organization to assure compliance with, not yours! You are merely presenting the opportunity.

B. Personally, I feel this is in poor taste, and is such a negative aspect to any professional presentation it is hard for me to believe that you actually present it. I can appreciate the fact you are running on fumes, but I suggest you re-think this, maybe transforming it to a "Members Only" area, where serious clients (real or potential) who would directly benefit would specifically fund a "solution" if you will. Out for the general public, it's too akin to begging, and as alluded to by Beth above, there is a hole in your accountability on this one.

C. Your "blurb" should be no more than something like "Remember, any monies spent on our Products or Services may be deductible. Consult your Tax Preparer for details." No need to oversell this issue, or spread yourself too thin either.

Technical:
                      1. A suggestion was made to add 'mouseovers' to your Menu and links. I second the suggestion, as it would add some "action" and convey a little more attention to detail, the mark of professionalism - something elemental to your "purpose" obviously. (Find this feature in BV, lower left toolbar).
                      2. The entire purpose of your site is your message, which you have carefully composed. Why, then, do you have seemingly non-essential pictures so large and obstructive other than to "set the mood"? Quotes and snippets don't foster the understanding or the engagement you seek, so re-thinking them might be in order. Have you thought of creative backgrounds rather than peppering the margins with calendar-like images and quotes?
                      3. Double-spaced (and highlighted) text does not make it easier to read, but only makes for an awkward flow and feel. In addition, it appears to be almost "just another eBook seller" type of site with all the screaming heads and highlighting. Keeping your content short and simple, properly composed and in a uniform manner demonstrates the clarity and singularity of your unique message. It either flies or falls, and shouldn't depend on fluff to keep it afloat.
                      4. Have you considered making a 10-30 second audio or video clip as an intro to your site, or as a play when an item is clicked? Much more clever than yellow highlights, and humanly reassuring, as they can hear a real person, not just read whatever was put in front of them! (Besides, wouldn't it be so much better than all the other competing sites that don't?) If you have to resort to it, you can even take a video clip with your cell phone and email it to yourself, ready to load on your page!

You have done a lot of really nice work, and poured your heart into it - and it shows. But, because you DO care so, don't allow yourself to get caught up in the details that others are oblivious to, and focus more on the heights you can accomplish.

"In My Opinion"
                      Helloooo Vasili!

Well...ouch!...and thank you. You have spent some considerable time reviewing and commenting. I appreciate ALL you have suggested and advised about. I will re-think several key things. (Never did like those yellow highlights anyway! Just used them like any 'cheap' sales letter might. Thought it was THE thing to do.)

Yes, I have sought advice here regarding adding an audio welcome. Ran into some "button" issues as I recall. My launched site will have audio on it for sure! That will be done toward the end of prepping - like writing the Executive Summary after the Business Plan is written.

Some other pointers you have given are ones I need to dwell on for a bit. I happen to very much like motivational or thought-inspiring quotes popping up out of nowhere. I see no calendar items that you speak of, but I certainly do have quotes.

I succomb. Asking for donations is tacky! (I will still do the animal one, though.) If I can, that is. The organization has to agree to the extra admin.

Does my site look and feel jumbled to you? I was trying very hard NOT to duplicate websites that seemed scrunched up and tight. I wanted things to be bold and separated...intentionally. Was that a mistake? Oh, and I was also going for balance - visually. That was getting tougher and tougher as my pages kept multiplying!

Sorry, I have to go right now! There's a thunderstorm overhead - a big one - I had better shut things down.

I really, really appreciate all the food for thought you have given! Add to this whenever you can reply to my current questions.

Running off...
                      WebMagic

Comment

• Bethers
                        Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Height does not need to be the same on each page - only the width - and often we do as Vasili mentioned with the width - so always check that you have no errant items "hiding" in the sides - and if you accidentally put something there and move it - you have to go back and tell the page the right width again - it will automatically stretch it but not make it smaller :)

I will disagree about the sound option. The reason for staying within certain widths is to not alienate a large portion of the people coming to your website. Sound can also alienate. I like sound to be used where people get to choose to hear it - not where it is automatic when you go to a page. For those who have sound disabled - or worse, who click off when sound automatically happens - you're likely to lose them for good before they see anything!

Vasili had a good point about the charity - there is no need for you to spend lots of time on it - link to the info - what's important is that people be able to find it.

I'm not a fan of centered text on professional websites - except in small doses. I'd rather see the text aligned left, or better yet, justified. However, justifying text means you sometimes have to re-write some sentences to have it look good - that does give the most polished finish, tho.

I'm also wondering if you could make each of the headings that you have those red arrows to links to the pages that discuss them? It's great to link to your internal pages that way. Make navigation as easy as possible for everyone - including the se's! The more ways they can navigate, the better.

You need to see what your keywords are - and you need to then use them in the right places - like your page titles and your headlines. Is anyone searching for powerlife? Probably not - but that is in every title - however, they are searching for:

Searches done in August 2006CountSearch Term
                        12386 coach life 1024 coach life training 996 coach game lesson life 871 better block building coach life pyramid success woodens 859 certification coach life 837 bear bryant coach last life paul 747 become coach life 659 coach life personal 481 best coach from jesus learn life 457 christian coach life 446 101 coach coach from goal in life personal reaching success tip work

looking at this - I would think you should use Personal Life Coach | Life Coach Training - from Powerlife for the title on your home page. Each page should find the top keywords for that page and use them in the title and on the page. You can add your name as I did - so as your name becomes known, it will also be there.

Looking at this - I see a great opportunity for you. If I had shown the whole list - you'd see people looking for coach life professional - business coach life - coach life skill. So use all those different phrases on your page also - but even better - how about having a page where you give some free coach life skill tips. People will find that page in their internet searching (because you'll optimize it well) and then look further at your site. Use what they are looking for!!!

OK - enough from me right now - you're on the right track - and don't let me overwhelm you - just step by step!
                        Beth
                        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

• bill2006
                          Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Nice work.
                          Consider reducing the number of fonts, and perhaps cleaning it up, one way might be opening another page, while there is nothing wrong with long pages some users might be turned away.
                          I believe someone mentioned centering already.
                          Bill
                          www.blueearthtea.com
                          www.ftaaconsulting.com
                          www.iaval.com
                          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• naghosthunter
                            Lieutenant Colonel

• Aug 2006

site looks great keep up the good work
                            "Jim"