My new website site is up for your disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new website site is up for your disassembly

Hello fellow vodahosters, Just got my website up and is ready for your opinions good, bad and ugly. Have fun. Thank You gaswizard

Re: My new website site is up for your disassembly

Hello fellow vodahosters, Just got my website up and is ready for your opinions good, bad and ugly. Have fun. Thank You gaswizard. Please visit www.qualitylighting.net

Comment

Your products and services are something I am interested in. In fact, if I didn't have a boring full time job, I would be proud to be associated with the creativity and detailed workmanship that your products and services offer.
      However, I don't feel that your site does your business the true merit that it deserves. The left and right antiquie mirror images set the style, but I feel that the centre content lets you down. Why?
      Black is a good background for showing off photos, but on the negative side represents, strength, mystery, and death. (Borrowed from ez-ez excellent website [http://adsenseproject.com/implementation/step_4_3.htm])
      There is no life, and Yippee feeling to your Services page. The photo in the AboutUs page titled "Our workshop" is too dark. One can see a single flash has been used, and only the front centre lamp, got the flash lighting.
      The workshop looks Very interesting, if you look hard, and I think the old wooden beams, should be featured, in keeping with the 25 year old family business theme.
      The zooming photos on the home page are interesting. It is a good way of showing lots of pictures without lots of "clicking to enlarge". However it may be a bit gimmicky. But anyhow there is not enough detail shown at full zoom. Once again, I feel that the black is wrong. Lamps are about light, and there is no feeling of your beautiful creations doing their lighting job.
      Wow, I'm on a bit of an antiblackbackgroundcolor mission at the moment. So let's see what others feel.
      Apologies for shooting from the hip like this. You have obviously put a lot of work into your site, and the effort does show. But if others feel the same way as I do, then it's better to change now.
      Regards,
      Royden

www.harrow-art.com
      www.harrow.co.za

Comment

G'day mate... super site... great job.. I like it allot.. it uploaded quickley.. I watched the video and that too was good. Everything looks mighty neat in terms of design with one exception.. may be if you try doing something with your navigation.. make it a little more obvious that it is navigation because you are using only text links, it makes people browse harder than they should to click on another page.. Now, I know what your taste is, I am the same, so don't think I'm suggesting that you make them bigger or bolder or add any buttons.. I'm just saying may be a little difference in colour, or perhaps even space them out a little more..

The other thing is your page title.. go to your page properties and add the page title you want your page to appear with.. and that's all I have.

Nice work.

Comment

I value you opinion about color with my bad lighting in my workshop. When we shot the workshop shop picture we tried to add next to no lighting to ad mystery to the image. I do have a lighter image and I will most likely change to that. It is interesting that you are into lighting. I love you lamps!! Gaswizard

Comment

Interesting and very well done, not a lighting expert but Royden's make sense and he is more the expert here, as you can see by his site. Good job!
            Choco777
            www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

I like your site. Everything seems to work (navigation). I found it informative but didn't notice the lamp on page 5 Turkey Dinner?
              ABC Gardiner
              ABC Gardiner

Comment

That is my favorite photo and I found it in a pile of old photos that were all wet and that is the best image I can get from it. Thanks for checking it out. Gaswizard

Comment

LIke the content in your site, but I have a hard time reading it. The font is small for tired old eyes, and the links sort of run together.

A font that is 'sans', you know, without the little tips on each letter, is much easier to read small.... may be just an issue for me, though - I have sort of bad eyes..

love the photos, though, and had fun looking around.
                  Liz
                  www.sebastopolparty.com
                  www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

I have to agree with ez-ez, your navigation bar looks like a single word, but other than that, it looks good to me.

Comment

Black backgrounds are one of the no-no's for sites that want to please the most people - it's another reason why you'll see more sites with white backgrounds and black text. If you want your site to sell, you need to go after the majority of the people. In all honesty, I was off the stie in a matter of seconds because it hurt my eyes.

Remember, you're building for the visitors, not yourself - which can be the hardest thing anyone ever learns.
                      Beth
                      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hello! I enjoyed viewing your work!

I hate to disagree with a couple of posts here... but I actually see nothing wrong with a black background if it is used properly. To me, black says "formal", it doesn't really say "death" to me. However, a *poorly designed* black web site might say "death"! hehe =P

I like the black background considering your "formal" product. With that said, if you stick with the black background, maybe just make your photos brighter... that way your site has a feel of "lighting a dark room." =)

Also, I saw a couple of completely blurry photos... I wouldn't post those at all. Get clear, bright photos.

The only other thing I noticed is that I do agree with the others about the links menu. Needs to have slightly larger text, without being too big... and spaced a little farther apart.

Otherwise, I think it's lovely!

Best of luck!
                        Julie
                        www.hanalynn.com

Comment

Nice project. well done.
                          You have some tweaking to do.
                          -Some of your page are untitled.
                          -On your Contact page, linking the e-mail helps users. Makes it easier on lazy folks.
                          -The black doesn't bother me at all, however the size of the fonts in your NavBar could be improved. You may have selected a font that not every user has.
                          -The video has music from 2001 S.O., unless you have permission, avoid the hassle. A voice over explaining would be a nice touch.

Good luck
                          Bill
                          www.blueearthtea.com
                          www.ftaaconsulting.com
                          www.iaval.com
                          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

There will be lots of views on black backgrounds - but they are on the top list of bad design ideas for many years standing because they are hard on many people's eyes. They do have a place. And some people are going to love them. All I'm saying is that they will alienate a portion of the people - it's your choice whether you want to take that chance.

Similar to deciding what width page to go with. I take the chance on my sites of not staying within the 800 width - but am very careful how I go outside it, and I will not go outside the next width. Again, it's a choice of how important it is to keep the most visitors to the site to purchase.
                            Beth
                            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

I also disagree with the aforementioned "dis" on the effective use of black as a background or even an integral shading in websites. Strongly.

As also mentioned in other posts, black (or any strong color) must be used with balance and distinction, as it is bold and unforgiving. I have used it on selective sites in limited formatting to heighten the contrast and to emphasize content, and although in corporate settings predominantly, I have kept my eye open for variations in the future. (See some yet incomplete examples here and here)

It is rather difficult to read how much in each post is personal projection or truly based on "fact," so take it all lightly and as well-intended support as you make your own considerations!
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X