• Show
Clear All
  • Scribbler59
    Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Feedback Please - PGG

www.projectgreatestgift.com

Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to be a part of this community!

I've just built my first website with BlueVoda. It is not yet in it's final form -- I'm waiting for some photos (many old ones of people's parents) -- but I've gone about as far as I can go on my own with the content. I can no longer see the forest for the trees and I'd appreciate any/all feedback folks could give.

I'm also having a couple of specific problems I'm hoping someone can help me with:
    1. On the submission form at http://www.projectgreatestgift.com/contactform.php you will see a final "checkbox" at the bottom. This is a required field on this form. For some reason I cannot get the form to register it as a required field -- even though I have included a "-R" in the checkbox properties name. What have I done wrong?

2. I can see all my page source info on my form. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. What'd I do wrong?

3. The Home page and What's PGG pages get all whiggy if I change the font size via the browser. This is because of the bullet points I've used. Is there some way to bullet certain text within a larger text box? (in this case, I had to open a new text box and click on bullet) Was that as clear as mud?

IF you do a full surf through the site and find that you'd like to fill out the submission form, your participation is most welcomed!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Warm regards,
    Scribbler

p.s. -- many many thanks to Navaldesign for his tutorial on Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor, building my form was painful, but less so thanks to him!!

Scribbler59
    Alias: Corinne
  • naghosthunter
    Lieutenant Colonel

• Aug 2006

Re: Feedback Please - PGG

let me be the first to welcome you to this community, bare in mind you may get some critisism and praise but don't take it at heart sometimes critisism helps. secondly my respects to you on your loss of your parents, thirdly your site looks quite good as i can see very easy to navigate and well done.

Jim
    "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

• bill2006
      Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Originally posted by Scribbler59

Hi everyone,
      I'm very happy to be a part of this community!
      I've just built my first website with BlueVoda. It is not yet in it's final form -- I'm waiting for some photos (many old ones of people's parents) -- but I've gone about as far as I can go on my own with the content. I can no longer see the forest for the trees and I'd appreciate any/all feedback folks could give.
      I'm also having a couple of specific problems I'm hoping someone can help me with:
      1. On the submission form at http://www.projectgreatestgift.com/contactform.php you will see a final "checkbox" at the bottom. This is a required field on this form. For some reason I cannot get the form to register it as a required field -- even though I have included a "-R" in the checkbox properties name. What have I done wrong? I am not an expert, did you try renaming that field as "agreed-R" ?
      2. I can see all my page source info on my form. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. What'd I do wrong? Sorry can't help you on this.
      3. The Home page and What's PGG pages get all whiggy if I change the font size via the browser. This is because of the bullet points I've used. Is there some way to bullet certain text within a larger text box? (in this case, I had to open a new text box and click on bullet) Was that as clear as mud? Shakey? Both pages look fine. You can import from Word but bullet points may shift as opposed to using the ones in BV.

IF you do a full surf through the site and find that you'd like to fill out the submission form, your participation is most welcomed! All you links seem to work, the Conatct form you refer to above is not in the Contact Us page.
      Thanks in advance for your comments.

Warm regards,
      Scribbler

p.s. -- many many thanks to Navaldesign for his tutorial on Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor, building my form was painful, but less so thanks to him!!

Nice work, perhaps a links page will be better than having the submenu below. It takes away from the hard work in your main Navbar.

Godd luck
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• Scribbler59
        Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Jim,

Thanks very much for your welcome, support and feedback. Agreed: criticism both good and bad are helpful (indifferent not so much)!

Cheers,
        Scribbler (alias Corinne)
        Scribbler59

Comment

• Scribbler59
          Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Bill,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Re the submission form at http://www.projectgreatestgift.com/contactform.php, with the checkbox that doesn't register as required: I am not an expert, did you try renaming that field as "agreed-R" ? It's currently named "Release_agreed-R" and based on the instructions, it should work. ... I just went back in and shortened it to "agreed-R" as you suggested and it still doesn't work. Bah! Doesn't make sense. But thanks for giving it thought!

Re bullet points used: I
          have the feeling I'm stuck with text that can't be increased in size with the browser. Not a big deal.

All you links seem to work, the Conatct form you refer to above is not in the Contact Us page. Thanks very very much for checking all my links! (a job I really don't like doing). ... I've caused confusion by keeping my "submission form" named "Contactform". But i'm scared to death to change the name for fear that I'll screw up some link.

Again, thanks for your time and support!

Warm regards,
          Scribbler / Corinne
          Scribbler59

Comment

• Bethers
            Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

I love the idea of your website. I'm a tad worried about how people will find you- what keywords you might be able to use for that? If there are terms that you'd like people to find you for - then they need to be in your page titles for the relevant pages and on the pages themselves. Right now - your home page title won't be at all effetive - as I doubt that there are any searchers looking for PGG? Now, maybe you could use text to explain - somethinig along the lines of "honor your parents" - that people are searching for - while you brand the term PGG - which can take several years, btw. (Hopefully sooner for you!)
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Scribbler59
              Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Hi Bethers,

Thanks very much for your feedback. Your concerns are certainly legitimate. However, I'm planning to get people to my website mostly via Amazon Mechanical Turk (and should be able to get hundreds) and via word of mouth (which won't be in the hundreds, but ... well my Xmas card list alone will let approx 75 couples know. I'm glad to report that I've got some people chomping at the bit to participate (!!!! Makes me so happy! This might actually work!).

Oh which reminds me! I need to put a refer/forward to a friend somewhere on this site! Your concerns reminded me I wanted to do this. Thanks!
              Scribbler59

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Corinne,
                Do you not want the rest of the world to find you? Do you want to keep it to only few hundred when you're on a medium where you could do some much and reach so many more?

And I'm glad you've got people ready to get it going - that's always exciting.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Dream Lady
                  Major General

• Feb 2006

Corinne: What a wonderful and inspirational idea/concept. I am curious as to your response to Beths question, because I think you would have an amazing response from all over the world, if you can handle it. I understand you are limited in volunteers, but what a gift! Keep us informed as to when you might be complete with the final site and accepting responses. I may just respond!! Congratulations...your parents would be proud!
                  Cindy Smentowski

Comment

• Scribbler59
                    Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Dear Bethers and Dream Lady,

Thanks so much for your support and encouraging words. Depending on the day (or hour, minute) you catch me I may be panicking that 1. I won't get to enough people or 2. I'll get to too many people to handle. In principle, I would like for as many people as possible to find me -- and at least give thought to the idea, if not put in their two cents.

So, you're both absolutely right! I need to go back to Bethers' original email/questions and think about re-vamping the home page to get as many key words in there, etc.

Thanks for "virtually" banging my head against the wall (albeit gently). Sometimes I'm a bit thick.

And Dream Lady, I'd be honored were you to decide to respond!

Cheers,
                    Scribbler59

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Corinne,

The search engines are good - but not so good that I think you have to worry about too much traffic to handle (YET) - but by the time they are sending you that traffic, you'll be ready for them.

And I've been thinking about it since I first looked also. I just might have to contribute, too.
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• SChajin
                        Major General

• Jan 2006

I love it Connie, I might want to contribute as well....Great Luck with it.
                        Sharon Chajin

Comment

• Scribbler59
                          Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Sharon, Bethers.

Thanks for your support! I may be up and running earlier than expected. I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,
                          Scribbler59

Comment

• nlnieu16
                            Major

• Jul 2006

What a nice site and good initiative !
                            www.jaspernieuwenhuizen.nl
                            www.jaspernieuwenhuizen.com

Comment

• Scribbler59
                              Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Thanks nlnieu16 for your feedback.

The Project Greatest Gift site is NOW officially up and running! I'd be Very happy to get folks' participation! Note: if you choose to participate via Amazon Mechanical Turk you'll "earn" twenty cents (U.S.). Yada Yada!
                              Scribbler59

Comment

Working...
                              X