• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SAWMAN
    Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Okay, brutalize me!

I just posted my company's website. It seems like it's missing some things, but I'm not sure what:

www.rock-n-falls.com

Hit me with any and all observations. I want the site to perform well, so don't feel the need to be nice.

Thanks in advance for all constructive input!

~SAWMAN
  • naghosthunter
    Lieutenant Colonel

• Aug 2006

Re: Okay, brutalize me!

ok brutalization ...loads slow for one thing ...photo page is slower than main page other than that site looks good nice colors all nav buttons work properly.

jim
    "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

• larazovich
      General

• Jul 2006

same comment about slow loads, but a lovely site. nice pictures, looks like you do nice work.
      might be nice to mention where you are, what areas you service?- what state?
      good luck
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com
      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

• Bethers
        Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

It's a beautiful picture. Catchy name - but you'll never be found or get traffic from the se's without text - and as a potential customer - I'd look at that picture on your home page and think that you only do large custom work (which might be the case) but if it's not the case, I'd never find out.

You need text on the page - it has to tell the customer and the se's who and what you are. What areas do you cover? Some of that information in your faq's needs to find it's way to your home page. Get your FULL address in your footer - because I'm sure you don't travel to CT to do your work - make sure people see right away whether you work in their area - what areas do you work in? If just the Tucson, AZ area - then you really need to have Tucson in your title, in the footer - probably in a page headline on the home page.

That picture will be just as beautiful at 1/2 the size - and will give you space to tell people what needs to be said.

You must get in and title your pages - most important also - suggested title for your home page:
        Rock Landscaping - Rockscaping from Rock n Falls, Tucson, AZ

Now, on the page, you need to use the terms rock landscaping - and landscaping with rocks - why? Because there were only a couple searches all last month using the term rockscaping, but there were hundreds searching for landscaping rock, rock landscaping, landscaping with rock working down to (still with many more than rockscaping) - decorative landscaping rock, rock wall landscaping, even rock landscaping arizona.

You can know it's called rockscaping - but if the people (like me) who might search for it don't know that - and think of rocks and landscaping - then it's vital you use the terms that THEY will use.

Again - the gallery is beautiful - but the page has NO text - and it needs text to go with the pictures. You need to talk about what you did, what you worked with - the one picture looks like you did a patio - how would anyone know?
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

• SAWMAN
          Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Thanks, folks. There's already been some very good information provided. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll use it and it'll help.

Bethers: I'm going to have to get a lot *****er on this whole website building thing to accomplish some of what you suggest. Solid advice on your part, I can tell. Can I hit you up for some "how to" tips?

Comment

• wiggytuftuk
            Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2006

Hi,
            Ditto to the other comments really, it looks a nice site if you can get the pages to load a bit faster would be a good start.Look forward to seeing it develop.
            regards
            Jay
            Jay
            www.orlandomouseworld.com

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Sawman, you most certainly can - will help as I can.

As for the load time - you probably need to optimize the pictures.
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

• SAWMAN
                Sergeant

• Nov 2006

Beth,

Because my determination outweighs my current embarrassment, I'm going to go ahead and ask how to do these things that are currently goofing me around:

1) You said to "optimize" my images. I can't quite find that option. Can you give any further how to info on that one? I know it'll reduce the load times.

2) I want to title my pages as you suggest, but I'm not certain exactly where you mean. On the page, itself? In one of the menu option bars?

*I've already made a couple other improvements, based on your observations. Thanks so much!

Comment

• Bird
                  Captain

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by SAWMAN
                  Beth,

Because my determination outweighs my current embarrassment, I'm going to go ahead and ask how to do these things that are currently goofing me around:

1) You said to "optimize" my images. I can't quite find that option. Can you give any further how to info on that one? I know it'll reduce the load times.

2) I want to title my pages as you suggest, but I'm not certain exactly where you mean. On the page, itself? In one of the menu option bars?

*I've already made a couple other improvements, based on your observations. Thanks so much!

As you can see by this web page title on top...Okay, brutalize me! - Web Hosting....you can change your page tiltles in page properties.

1. Watch the tutorial...How to set up your page properties

http://www.vodahost.com/tut_bluevoda.htm

2. PIX resizer is a photo resizing program to easily create web and e-mail friendly versions of your images with reduced file sizes.
                  Using PIX resizer will increase the quality of your images by as much as 82% as well as making them download super fast.

You can download it here from VodaHost

http://www.vodahost.com/pix.htm

http://www.fromtheheartofangels.com/

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Optimizing the pages means having what is needed on them for the search engines to bring up your pages in searches - which they do based on what people put into the search boxes. What I am talking about here - is on page optimization. You need a good title for each page - I suggested on for the home page in my first message. You need the keywords/keyword phrases used on the pages.

Start with the things I gave you in my first message - ask me questions if you aren't sure what to do - and I'll be glad to help. But start with those basics.

And remember, there are no dumb questions and there is no need to be embarrassed - we all had to start somewhere. You are lucky cuz you have this forum to help you from the git go!
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• bill2006
                      Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Nice site,
                      Images loaded very quickly on broadband.
                      I noticed something, your contact e-mail is ...****, might want to use the e-mail function in your cpanel and create your own. You can view it at www.yourdomain.com/webmail or direct incoming e-mails to your aol account.
                      Bill
                      www.blueearthtea.com
                      www.ftaaconsulting.com
                      www.iaval.com
                      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• asirimarco
                        Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

good advice about pixresizer - works great and easy to use and makes a big difference - Bethers gives advice that would cost you mega bucks any where else and it is always golden - she's right about putting in info about where you are working
                        ann
                        Ann
                        www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
                        www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
                        www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

• Dream Lady
                          Major General

• Feb 2006

Very nice. Your pictures loaded pretty fast for me, but I'm on a high speed connection. Your photos are wonderful. On the contact page, have you tried experimenting with making the contact box in the middle of the page, transparent? I don't know how well you could read the txt, but it seems a shame to cover up most of the photo. If you heed all of the suggestions here so far, your site will do very well! Oh, you may want to also center your pages
                          Cindy Smentowski

Comment

• Karen Mac
                            General

• Apr 2006

Sawman,

psssssst! Since we are being BRUTAL, you mispelled bolder. It's Boulder!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• bill2006
                              Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Looking back at your site, you have included a callout "Custom Artificial...including" perhaps linking this box to the gallery would be useful. Users may want to got to Fireplaces or Walkways and a lack of images isn't the best option.
                              Bill
                              www.blueearthtea.com
                              www.ftaaconsulting.com
                              www.iaval.com
                              www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Working...
                              X