• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qwmrhai
    Sergeant

• May 2006

New Gale Sayers Site

Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers is opening up a center designed to get kids off the Chicago streets, and I was chosen to do the site. Please give your feedback of the site.
    It's not intended to be flashy, just information driven. Thanks!

Your guide to identifying high-paying slots. Learn which slot games to play. Read more here.
  • Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: New Gale Sayers Site

I think it's very well done - and as a former Chicagoan - I'm glad to see it happening.

Personally, I don't like the background you've chosen for the wider screens - would even rather just see a complimenting color there.

In the top navigation - neither the events or giving links worked for me.

And you might want to consider ticking to center the pages in the browser and making a header that's a little more impressive. I know you don't want to be flashy - but I just would like to see the text alone stand out a tad more.

Very good job.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• philipc9635
      Lieutenant Colonel

• Jul 2006

Hello

Your site is very easy to navigate and well set out.

I think the Heading looks fairly plain although I know you said it isn't meant to be flashy. I'm not super keen on the colors but thats a personal thing.

All in all I think you've got a great site for a great cause.

Well done.
      Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

• Dream Lady
        Major General

• Feb 2006

Well I respectively disagree with the colors. I like them. I love Teal and the yellow is mellow. I had a nice feeling when I entered your website.

I think you have done a wonderful job. A few things to consider....have you thought about a picture of the facility on the home page with the address there? Do you plan to offer online giving and accept credit cards online? How about purchasing tickets for the events... I know these are more advanced elements for your website, but certainly should be considered in light of who your audience will be.

In the future, I would also have a few pictures of the kids participating at the center at the computers, speaking, etc. The wonderful thing about this site, is you can do as much or as little as you want and still have an avenue to get the word out.

Good luck with your site and the Center!
        Cindy Smentowski

Comment

• naghosthunter
          Lieutenant Colonel

• Aug 2006

like the colors very soft sided easy to navigate all links work great had stroke when i got to giving section way to pricey maybe this site will catch the eyes of the rich not the poor. good luck and god bless.
          "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

In case my first post is misunderstood - I also like the colors for the site. However, I dislike the background chosen for outside the 800 width - I think it detracts from the site itself.

Overall, as I stated, excellent job.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Windameer Farm
              Captain

• Dec 2006

I agree with Beth on the background. the colors look good other then that.

Very nice job.
              www.advertise.windameer.com - Add a Banner for your site or sites for free.

www.windameersfleamarket4u.com - Buy Sell Trade with Windameer's Flea Market 4U ( 1 Year Free for BV sites)

www.windameer.com - Come see our Angora Goats.

Comment

• asirimarco
                Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

would like to see the pages centered - otherwise looks great - all links worked
                Ann
                www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
                www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
                www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

• qwmrhai
                  Sergeant

• May 2006

Beth,
                  Thank you for your feedback.
                  I've tried to center this, but I guess I can't find where to do it. Can you let me know where to set this. Thanks.

Originally posted by Bethers
                  I think it's very well done - and as a former Chicagoan - I'm glad to see it happening.

Personally, I don't like the background you've chosen for the wider screens - would even rather just see a complimenting color there.

In the top navigation - neither the events or giving links worked for me.

And you might want to consider ticking to center the pages in the browser and making a header that's a little more impressive. I know you don't want to be flashy - but I just would like to see the text alone stand out a tad more.

Very good job.

Comment

• qwmrhai
                    Sergeant

• May 2006

Thanks for your reply.
                    I'm glad that you liked the colors because these were chosen by the foundation, and we've yet to get a response from the public.
                    We're only in the infancy stages of the foundation which means that we've only started scheduling events. The foundation has found a piece of land, but the groundwork has not yet been started. We definately will have photos of the center as well as the children.

thanks again for your feedback. Tickets might be offered online. They've yet to decide this. I'd love to do some more advanced stuff, but it's up to the discretion of the foundation.

Originally posted by Dream Lady
                    Well I respectively disagree with the colors. I like them. I love Teal and the yellow is mellow. I had a nice feeling when I entered your website.

I think you have done a wonderful job. A few things to consider....have you thought about a picture of the facility on the home page with the address there? Do you plan to offer online giving and accept credit cards online? How about purchasing tickets for the events... I know these are more advanced elements for your website, but certainly should be considered in light of who your audience will be.

In the future, I would also have a few pictures of the kids participating at the center at the computers, speaking, etc. The wonderful thing about this site, is you can do as much or as little as you want and still have an avenue to get the word out.

Good luck with your site and the Center!

Comment

• Collectors-info
                      General

• Feb 2006

Hi, it may be my browser, but a lot of things are out of alignment on most pages with the black lines. Its like everything has dropped down the page by about ½ inch, but let other confer this. I am viewing in firefox.
                      Ditto with the background colour. (I don’t think it’s the color so much as the embossment effect)
                      Centering pages.
                      1. In BV Click on a empty space on you site page & select properties.
                      2. Set page to 800 wide & check the center in browser box. Click OK

The only thing is you will have to bring all page images IE: Yellow horizontal bar down to 800 wide. Otherwise you will have the horizontal scroll bar on your pages.
                      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• qwmrhai
                        Sergeant

• May 2006

The alignment problem only happens in Mozilla. Any suggestions?

Also, I made the changes regarding the 800 width, and the horizontal bar disappeared just like you said. the only problem is that it doesn't seem quite centered in the browser. It's offset more to the right now. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks for the feeback.

Originally posted by Collectors-info
                        Hi, it may be my browser, but a lot of things are out of alignment on most pages with the black lines. Its like everything has dropped down the page by about ½ inch, but let other confer this. I am viewing in firefox.
                        Ditto with the background colour. (I don’t think it’s the color so much as the embossment effect)
                        Centering pages.
                        1. In BV Click on a empty space on you site page & select properties.
                        2. Set page to 800 wide & check the center in browser box. Click OK

The only thing is you will have to bring all page images IE: Yellow horizontal bar down to 800 wide. Otherwise you will have the horizontal scroll bar on your pages.

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

First, I just was unable to open your site clicking your link above. Might have just been a glitch - but I typed www.galesayerscenter.com and got right on. I suggest you always use the www. with your link when you do it - search engines like to see links always done the same and most people are used to it with the www

Now, I tried to look at your site centered to see it not being centered properly, but am still finding the site all the way to the left. I do believe your site is wider than 800. You can't set the page for less than the width you are using.
                          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Collectors-info
                            General

• Feb 2006

Hi, as before & what Beth says, you will have to bring your site width down to 800 (images on the page) the yellow bar is at 840, so if you try to centre @ 800 it wont. As for the lines & alike moving around, you would be better enabling boarders on your coloured background panels. Must admit I cant see how you got the black line edges on the site??
                            As I can see one image http://www.galesayerscenter.org/bv01020.gif but no boarders on the panels.
                            It may be worth changing these two to text instead of images http://www.galesayerscenter.org/Gale...ter_Header.jpg

Good luck.
                            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• qwmrhai
                              Sergeant

• May 2006

Wow, you guys are really good.
                              I originally had the header as text but I'm using an unusual font called Aras Bold ITC. If someone doesn't have this font installed then it comes out as Arial or times Roman or whatever that persons default font is. Not a big deal to me, but the foundation is set on these colors and fonts, so in order to make sure that everyone sees it the same, they've decided to make it an image.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Originally posted by Collectors-info
                              Hi, as before & what Beth says, you will have to bring your site width down to 800 (images on the page) the yellow bar is at 840, so if you try to centre @ 800 it wont. As for the lines & alike moving around, you would be better enabling boarders on your coloured background panels. Must admit I cant see how you got the black line edges on the site??
                              As I can see one image http://www.galesayerscenter.org/bv01020.gif but no boarders on the panels.
                              It may be worth changing these two to text instead of images http://www.galesayerscenter.org/Gale...ter_Header.jpg

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X