OK, Here goes . . . The Beginning of my 1st Web Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, Here goes . . . The Beginning of my 1st Web Site

Alright, guys & gals . . . I've been working on my first website & want some input before I go crashing on through this crazy forest of material to learn only to find out that I need to change a bunch of stuff on my pages.

One thing that I DO know that needs to be changed is my page size. I found through reading threads (to find a fix for one of my many problems) that I need to fix the page size on all of my pages to 800. I just didn't do it tonight because I'm getting exhausted.

My domain is www.DeesDogCare.com (I think that this is what you were asking for at the top of this thread in the requests that you have at the top of this thread).

One page that I am having particular trouble with is: http://www.deesdogcare.com/index.php?pr=The_Show_Dog . . . the images that I have scrolling across the page are too big. I resized them in the image hosting site that I am using, but they won't change on my page, have any idea why?

Other than those, any other comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Re: OK, Here goes . . . The Beginning of my 1st Web Site

First 2 comments - you don't have your name in your header anywhere - and that's really vital - and you have a counter at the bottom of the page. Those are really not good.

I love the way the dog pictures change and come up (of course I am a dog lover :) ) -

As to those images - after you changed them - did you change them on the site? Try deleting out the images and putting them back in with the new size. Sometimes they don't overwrite properly otherwise (and is it possible you changed the name, so they didn't overwrite?)
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Dedi,

Criky youve done good for a first timer..well done.. very informative site to, found my favorite dog Newfoundland awwwwwww.. click on the link below this might help you with your page problem....well done
      Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
      http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

I'm glad you guys like my pics . . . It was a pain getting them to work right on the pages for most of it, but persistence paid off (even when I would accidentally forget to save my chages and lose it all, just to have to try and figure out what I had done).

Beth >>> I deleted the images from my photo host, resized them on my computer, and uploaded them to the host again . . . it still didn't do it, so I replaced all of the code which referenced a picture . . . which still didn't (or maybe did) do it. It wasn't until I opened that page and chaged my HTML to an appropriate width and went to preview that the pictures were FINALLY a smaller size. I have no idea what actually did the trick, but I'm seriously glad that it did! THX!

Linda >>> Thanks for the link . . . it was definitely a learning experience for my next site (in the near future as my bf wants me to redesign his golf course's site). Right now I'm using Soho, however. Somewhere in here, I learned that Soho templates are dynamic and stretch to fit the page width that you design --- I had added a table background color and set the page width at 1000, I went back to the HTML, found that nifty little 1000 and changed it to 800. That left a small white space along the right side of my page, so I went back and ended up using 825.

Still not sure about how I should try to make it center itself, since my header and menu are part of the template and I have no control over how they move with different display resolutions. You can trust that I am looking for the answers, but will be thrilled if one of the Soho gurus out there already knows the best way to accomplish this (remembering that I created a table for a background color).

To let you both see the results, I am posting the show dog page again (it's the only one I changed the page width on yet --- the others will be changed when I figure out how to do the centering thing --- that way I don't have to go into the edit thing twice for each page, cause that's really a pain in Soho).

http://www.deesdogcare.com/index.php?pr=The_Show_Dog

THANKS, GALS!!!!

Comment

Very nice site Dedi...

On centering your pages, did you go under edit, select all, then lock, and/or or lock all?
          Your template should be pulled over to the left. Then click on the right somewhere on the background and edit the page properties, change page size, make a tic to center page. You want to preview, if and when you think you have what you would like, then save page, and then publish.

http://www.fromtheheartofangels.com/

Comment

Hey, Bird! Thanks for the compliment. Are those instructions for Soho or BV? I'm not finding those options in Soho . . . if they're BV, no big deal . . . if they're Soho, I might need more detailed instructions on this one.

Thanks! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by deesdogcare
              Hey, Bird! Thanks for the compliment. Are those instructions for Soho or BV? I'm not finding those options in Soho . . . if they're BV, no big deal . . . if they're Soho, I might need more detailed instructions on this one.

Thanks! ;)
              You are welcomed.

instructions were for BV, sorry I haven't tried the Soho.
              I would think somewhere in the tutorials they would show.

Someone will come along to help you with this. This is a great forum, ask and they will come.

In the meantime, did you check the search button, or asked in the general questions for Soho?

Comment

I posted here because I wanted suggestions on improvement, so no, I haven't posted it in the Soho area yet. I am kind of headstrong and still thinking that I will figure it out on my own (which helps me remember in the long run --- SOMETIMES, lol). If I don't figure it out before long, I'll be posting in there . . . Karen probably needs a break from my mindless idiocy for a few hours, anyway! :))

I think it's time for me to sleep for a few hours. Enjoy!!!

Comment

I am the same way, I try to figure things out myself. LOL

Karen or someone will answer you shortly, so good night, and get a few winks in....

Soho might have a auto resize..I think Naveldesign mentioned it.

Goodnight Dedi....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

For a 1st time website this is good. However I, as many others, don't like having to scroll sideways view the content of your page. Try making the the actual width smaller. Also i found some of the pictures took a while to load. You could try using voda's pix resizer to conquer this. Apart from those 2 niggles, well done and keep up the good work.
                    Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
                    FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

That is great for the first time, WOW A little bit more and you will have a great site.. I'm a dog lover too!
                      Sharon Chajin

Comment

Looking Good Debi, love the picture's. keep up the good work.

Jolen
                        www.advertise.windameer.com - Add a Banner for your site or sites for free.

www.windameersfleamarket4u.com - Buy Sell Trade with Windameer's Flea Market 4U ( 1 Year Free for BV sites)

www.windameer.com - Come see our Angora Goats.

Comment

Dedi,

At a quick glance, Im guessing its all that you have typed up there in the header spanning things out.. Not sure, unless you did template customization, but thats all I can see sticking out at me. You might try tweaking that down a bit, and making just a really cutesie title and then mentioning all that on the page!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                          02036089024 / United Kingdom
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hey, guys & gals! Sry, it's been a while since I was able to get in here to see how things were going . . . Thanks for all the nice things you said!

Karen, I had been thinking about that title --- those were my original keywords (but I've narrowed the field since then). I have to figure out exactly what to say in that header now . . . when I wrote it, I thought that I was supposed to put all of my keywords in it! Obviously not! OOPS! Thanks for suggesting that I change it to a catchy phrase or something, I think that will be better.

Comment

oh yeah . . . all of you dog lovers . . . I'm looking to feature a page of members and guests pictures of them & their dogs . . . interested?

Comment

Working...
                              X