Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Home Page

Hello fellow BVers,

I recently asked if anyone could surmise why my site hits were only for 30 seconds or less. One of the BV helpers told me that lots of women surf and shop while at work, and that my instant-on music was giving them away to others around them. She gave me many more useful tips. At the suggestion of this BV helper, I have revamped my home page (www.bubbeesbeads.org or www.bubbeesbeads.com - either way you wind up in the same place) to have a more professional, less bloggish look. I am also thinking of using the heading and page colors as a template for each revamped page to follow for consistency. I wonder if some of you might take a look at what I've done so far and let me know what you think.

Thanks, as always, for you help.

Mindy

Re: New Home Page

Hi Mindy,

This Week's Specials is in type too big - and the word specials is ending up covering and being covered by the pics, etc it's supposed to be on top of.

You're doing a good job - I think this does look much more professional - you do need to go in and give the page a title again :)

I think, way at the beginning - it was recommended you get one header for all pages. I definitely agree with that. But before you do that, I'd like to see you get a more professional header. I remember sending you a suggestion or two on that before - but I'm sure someone could help you come up with a great header for your site - that would incorporate your jewelry as well as your name.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Mindy,
      Your page loads fine, some slower than others, which could be becasue you've more elements on some.
      Pages need a better description. "index" just wont do it with SE. Do a search for Bethers' SEO e-book/article.
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Hi Mindy,

Love your Jewelry and I can see youve put a lot of hard work into yur site...there are a lot of things you can do to make it look still more professional..choose a colour theme and stick to it throughout your pages, 3 or 4 colours...use the same menu style and put it in the same place on every page ....make your main fonts smaller , theres a lot of overlapping like Beth said.....

By the way love the music where do you get it from? ....tho I do know some find it distracting....i'm just a big music lover especially oldies ...so i'm ok with it..but I can understand why some are not so keen.

Ive been having a mess about with colours for you, ive taken the colour theme from your swirl beads images...just to give you an idea or two

http://www.lindashouseemporium.net/beads.html

Dont know why the images arent showing up , but anyway it gives you some idea ..hope it helps

Also you need to set your page widths.

Your doing a great job well done :o)
        Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
        http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

Hi Mindy,
          Your site is looking better and better all the time! I love the way you incorporated your company information with the picture of your gorgeous grandbaby! Great job!

Something you might want to think about is shrinking down your pages so your full site, width wise is easier to see. All those women that shop at work will find it much easier if your whole site shows up in their browser. If they have to scroll to the right to check out your designs they won't be able to spend as much time shopping. Personally, if I have to scroll to the right... I leave the site.
          Naturally Yours,
          Dori
          www.earthelixirs.com
          www.earthelixirsinc.com
          www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
          www.virtualdesigndiva.com
          www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

Hi,
            I want to thank all of you for these great answers. I am finally beginning to realize what an online store is supposed to look like. Bethers I should have trusted you earlier and taken your advice. Linda, thank you for finally teaching me how to use the grid. Have never been successful with that. Bill and Dori your support is so encouraging. Check the site out in a day or two and I'm sure you'll see a big difference.
            I just wanted you all to know that Amanda is the one who is giving me item by item instructions and help to rebuild. She has the patience of a saint.
            Again, thanks all
            Mindy

P.S. one little question. There is a quotation mark right above the menu on the published page but it doesn't show up on the working page. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of it?

Comment

Look at all the coding you've done on the page - that quotation mark is an extra code someplace.

It takes time to know what to do, Mindy, and you're learning everyday - and keeping an open mind, which puts you way ahead of others.

You are very lucky to have Amanda's help. She does an excellent job! Keep tweaking and you'll have the store you want and need to have.
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Beth,

by coding, do you mean the little html squares? I know its a stupid question but some things stick in my head and some don't. This don't
                xoxo Mindy

Comment

Yes, I'm guessing that question mark is in one of those little html squares and isn't needed - so it's showing up on the page. But I've spent about 20 minutes searching for it in your code and can't find it. It's hard to find a single " by itself somehwere! If you can't find it - try removing various objects (save them on another page temporarily - and then do a preview and see if you can isolate it.

Also, make links out of the word Earrings in this text: See more about this pair of earrings on the *Earrings* Page.

And out of the word necklace sets in this: Learn more about this Turqoise Set on
                  the *Necklace Sets* page.

Always make it as easy as possible for people to get to those pages!

Wish I could have found that " for you :(
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by bubbee21
                    Hi,

I just wanted you all to know that Amanda is the one who is giving me item by item instructions and help to rebuild. She has the patience of a saint.
                    Again, thanks all
                    Mindy
                    Great job Bubbee and Amanda - gotta like the team work ... go team go ... lol .... (But ... Amanda - a Saint ... hmmmm ... lol)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                    X