• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whodaddy
    Corporal

• Feb 2007

whodaddy

Hello, this is whodaddy, I was just putting together a website. it is www.whodaddy.net. I need some input on the looks and functionality of this site , so i can maybe improve it before I get serious about advertising it. I'm new and this is my first site I ever built. It's not quite finished yet either, but your input would be appreciated.
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: whodaddy

Hello, Eugene!

How's the weather in Texas?
    Good to see your site is beginning to take shape....it shows a lot of thought and work already. There is a lot more that needs to be done, however, if you want to to truly shine like the Texas Star!

First thing I'd do.....I think the VodaHost affiliate banner really needs to go at the bottom of your page (if you stick with this banner), or at the very least, to a side margin using a different size and/or color.....it is just to incongruent and color-distracting used as it presents now.

If the basics of layout and construct are cleaned up a bit, I believe a tighter theme and flow will emerge, and then we can concentrate on the technical merit, right?
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• whodaddy
      Corporal

• Feb 2007

Is that better,? I think you were right it was a little too much at the top

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Yes...much better.
        Now you can begin to re-think the page top, and your devices to act as your Header (as it appears that is your intention).

Don't you think it might look a bit cleaner if you "reverse order" them, and maybe make the backgrounds on your marquee's more complimentary to your site (and thereby add a "scheme" or identifiable construct)?
        Maybe by changing the green to a color more like this, and reducing the "stack"/odd size of the marquee (size it appropriately)?
        I think you get the idea....work on things for a while, and we'll all check in on how you are doing!

Comment

• Dori
          Lieutenant Colonel

• Sep 2006

Hi whodaddy,
          The scrolling marquee is moving way too fast and the colors make this unreadable. I am not too fond of the large 'Welcome...' marquee either, but that is just personal opinion.

Your site width is large which means a lot of folks will have to scroll to the right to be able to see your whole site. This turns off a lot of people. Best practice is to keep your width between 800 and 1000 pixels.

A lot of your pictures look like they were sized after you inserted them into BV. Try bringing them back to their original size, they will look so much nicer. If you do need them resized, do so before inserting them.

Definitely listen to what Vasili has to say, the man knows what he is talking about!

You have a very interesting site and I think it will do very well.
          Naturally Yours,
          Dori
          www.earthelixirs.com
          www.earthelixirsinc.com
          www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
          www.virtualdesigndiva.com
          www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

• larazovich
            General

• Jul 2006

Site is looking good. Interesting and easy to follow, nice.
            Ditto what Dori said about the marquee - I can't read the blue thing at all - too fast and too dark.
            Also ditto the picture resize thing - they look misshapen, like they were shaped after placed, and smushed. If you MUST change their size after you ahve placed them, use only the handle on the bottom right - all others will distort the image..
            Good job so far, alittle tweaking and you're there!
            Liz
            www.sebastopolparty.com
            www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

• whodaddy
              Corporal

• Feb 2007

tweaking website

thanks for the input, I have made a few adjustments to the scrolling marquee. and adjusted the pictures again, let me know if the marquee is readable now. I have to go to work right now but I will check the forum when I get back .

Comment

• SChajin
                Major General

• Jan 2006

Much better now that you have slowed things down, you changed the color too.........right? Looks much better.
                Sharon Chajin

Comment

• Tracie P
                  Second Lieutenant

• Nov 2006

I have not had time to go thru the entire thing, but this is what I thought so far... hope this isn't too technical, but sometimes technical is important ... especially when you are selling to a certain market!
                  At the beginning I thought the first paragraph kept changing from one space after the punctuation mark, to 2 times, and that did not look professional. It could use a couple of commas in the 2nd paragraph. Then it got to be too much words that it perhaps could use some tables, different font, or colors. The paragraph by your pic, on the home page, last word: Now is underlined and I wanted to click it !!!!
                  You could put a link there if you wanted to have another page... perhaps to buy it right there...with a little explanation and a price?!!! I think you would have a lot of sales! Instead, I had to get bored and scan for a price... got bored and you lost me... potential customer!!! I think you can keep the information there... just make the buying more up front! If there is anything to buy!!! I want to know the price!!! I hope there weren't too many run on sentences in there... sorry.
                  Shop LoveItShop Handmade Jewelry & Vintage Clothing by LoveItShop located in Long Beach, California. Smooth shipping! Has a history of shipping on time with tracking. Speedy replies! Has a history of replying to messages quickly. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher

Comment

• Tracie P
                    Second Lieutenant

• Nov 2006

Ok... skimmed it again and I am impressed by all the information you can give me... but I am sticking to the idea that clicking that Now would open brief explanation of book, price, and HUGE buy now button!!! You will be selling them like hot cakes!!! Fix punctuation!!! Goodluck!
                    Shop LoveItShop Handmade Jewelry & Vintage Clothing by LoveItShop located in Long Beach, California. Smooth shipping! Has a history of shipping on time with tracking. Speedy replies! Has a history of replying to messages quickly. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher

Comment

• whodaddy
                      Corporal

• Feb 2007

hello everyone, ok, Iv'e done a little remodeling, I've kind of run out of ideas. but I think everything seems to be functioning. I'm trying to come up with something to keep prospective customers interested. adwords is running my ad but I don't seem to get any buyers. what can I do to get people more interested?
                      Last edited by whodaddy; 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM. Reason: missspelled word

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

First things first: make your website as Perfect as possible, as tightly SEO-prepared as imaginable......and as cleanly presentable and compellingly navigable as should be.

Once your "foundation" is flawless, then you can expect to see the results from your careful planning and design implementation. Then, if you are able, you will have the luxury of devising a similarly cohesive marketing and promotional plan to buttress your earlier efforts!

*Remember, all true web design and SE functionality (ranking, positioning, caching, etc.) is rooted on precise implementation of the elements in a very unforgiving way: the Perfect Page Model is the means for the SE's to sort through the chaff of millions of websites, for it is their job to present results to client searches, and they must determine which sites are the most reliable resources for that data first based on the formula of construct --- if a site can't get the "basics" right, what are the chances they will have the data that is as reliable as required?
                        Yes, Content is still King in many ways, but the foundations of sites is considered the easiest of elements to excel at, and is thus the most challenging to us "people" as we strive to think as computers do, tending to the minutia that is so critical! It is only then the "uniqueness" of our content and "relevancy" gets noticed.

Every step counts incredibly more than first glance.....there is no such thing as "baby steps." When you complete your initial "tasks" your stride will open up, and you will have not only the viable reason but the confidence and pride necessary to actively promote your website (opportunity) just like any other business requires.....and there are countless ways to do that, right?

"Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan"

Comment

• Dori
                          Lieutenant Colonel

• Sep 2006

As always... very well put Vasili!
                          Naturally Yours,
                          Dori
                          www.earthelixirs.com
                          www.earthelixirsinc.com
                          www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
                          www.virtualdesigndiva.com
                          www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Thanks..........can you believe I did all that in under 1000 words? Finally????

LOL
                            "Im learning!"

Comment

• Karen Mac
                              General

• Apr 2006

Vasili,

Very good indeed. I keep soap boxing that BASIC SEO and BASIC structure and CLEAN navigation soapbox.. across two forums! Your style is a little more elequoent! I just get a baseball bat and say PAY ATTENTION DAMMIT!

:)
                              Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                              X