New Design Please Critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Design Please Critique

With some advice from some of you I have made quite a few changes. Please take time to critique and tell me what I can do to make it even better. www.blackmtngifts.com. I am not finished with it yet but would like some feedback before I get totally done in case I need to make even more changes. Thank you!!!!

Re: New Design Please Critique

Right off the bat, I think you have a really good concept going. Here are a few suggestions:

Center your page in the browser: right-click on any empty space on the page, select Page Properties, under the General tab, make sure the width of the page is under 1000. I personal like to keep it between 900 and 950. After that, click the "Center in Browser" checkbox.

Navigation Toolbar: some of your texts for the navigation toolbar are too long. ex. "More World Inspiration?" At times like these, I found that using the Alternate Text option really is the way to go. In this case, I would probably put "World Inspiration" as the Name of the and "More World Inspiration" as the Alternate Text, so tha way when someone hovers over the name of the page, the alternate is going to displace. I see that you have it going for some of the navigations, but you really need it for those that are too long...they need to be shortened for a more pleasant browsing experience.

Name your pages: right click on any empty space in the doc, click on Page Properties, and write a relevant name to the page.

Too many pics on one page: some of the pages have too many pictures on them. Your "More World Inspiration" page has more than 100 pics. I would break them to to say 25 to 50 (maybe not that high a number) a page and keep them organized in a table. The table does not have to be seen. Just have the border size as 0.

Like I said because, you're off to a very good start. These a just suggestions to improve your site. Will be back later when you are furhter into your project.

Mapillar

Comment

Definetly name pages and work on menu. I also feel the picx over BG takes away from the photo either make it more of a header and then show pics or add text intro to your ite,s over sky portion. You have enough images as it is.
      Choco777
      www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

Please refrain from creating multiple threads for your website.
        Forum Rules (#3 specifically) state that you are allowed only one thread per each VodaHost-ed website for peer review and imput. All commenting and change mentions should be kept to one thread, thus better demonstrating the progress and efforts made!

It is good to see that you have indeed made the changes that remove potential "privacy" liabilities, and have kept to the original format of independently presenting SMC best sellers!

Mapillar (above, Post #2) has offered some useful suggestions regarding the "basics" of web design that you should consider early as you fine-tune your site, namely the proper titling of your pages and the Key Words, Meta, Page Description, etc. Be sure to use the KeyWord Digger tool (located in BV under TOOLS) to make your selection easier and more "compliant": the fewer the better, and remember that they truly do need to relate to actual textual Content on the Page itself to build the foundational relevance necessary.

I do not agree, however, that your "catalog" need comply with any of the above comments, but it may still prove more efficient (for SEO purposes specifically) to try to create "sub-categories" and thus additional pages with a smaller selection. This will prove helpful for customer navigtation as well as add to site relevance (with additional Content and interior links). It is also easier to update/change product listings not having to re-do larger pages and tables...

Brevity, crispness, and full functionality is paramount in preparing an SE-friendly site that will produce the results you have worked so hard for.

Good Start! Looking forward to seeing your progress.....
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Sorry....I got "timed out" before I realized I should have added a suggestion:
          I do not agree, however, that your "catalog" need comply with any of the above comments, but it may still prove more efficient (for SEO purposes specifically) to try to create "sub-categories" and thus additional pages with a smaller selection. This will prove helpful for customer navigtation as well as add to site relevance (with additional Content and interior links). It is also easier to update/change product listings not having to re-do larger pages and tables...... If you do think this a worthy suggestion, you may wish to consider using a "Drop-Down"/dynamic Menu style to accommodate the sub-categories and additional page selections, which may actually allow you to "clean up" the many Menu buttons presently displayed!

Comment

nicely put, Vasili

Comment

Thank You. Going to work on that.

Comment

Please note that if you use dropdown menus you need to have other links to all those pages also - or the se's will never find them - se's do not follow or read drop down navigation.

That would be a reason for possible footer links - and/or a well done site map.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Good Reminder, Beth....
                  (Footer text links are also more "friendly" for those with limited internet familiarity, certain age groups, or otherwise impaired guests!)

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                    (Footer text links are also more "friendly" for those with limited internet familiarity, certain age groups, or otherwise impaired guests!)
                    Which is most of the population :)

<ducking>
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

LOL
                      Really though....it is refreshing to see once in a while someone read past our humorous jousts to pick up the real "juice" and make meaningful progress themselves....don't you agree??

Comment

most of your gift links come up as 'could not find page' but not all - is this because of site construction - CRITIQUE - when I shop and a site is not complete I leave it. Would sooner see a reduced item list than one that takes leaves you 'stranded' -

Comment

Originally posted by arpijay
                          most of your gift links come up as 'could not find page' but not all - is this because of site construction - CRITIQUE - when I shop and a site is not complete I leave it. Would sooner see a reduced item list than one that takes leaves you 'stranded' -
                          It is suggested that you complete you User Profile, which allows your VodaPeers some indication of your own progress in the Community, and allows us to communicate with you as well.

Your User Profile is available to you at the top of every Forum Page in the far lower-left blue header: "User CP"

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                            LOL
                            Really though....it is refreshing to see once in a while someone read past our humorous jousts to pick up the real "juice" and make meaningful progress themselves....don't you agree??
                            Very refreshing.

Like a summer breeze (summer is on the way, right? puhleaaaaase? Tell me it's so!)
                            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

James,

You have a beautiful picture of black mountain, sadly the resolution is poor and over pixulated.
                              It is very important that you look into replacing it with a clearer image.
                              You may also want to consider making the title stronger.
                              (I know you have mentioned that you have not finished)
                              To me its worth having a graphic artist do it for you.
                              We saved money by using the image they did for our business cards... simply lifted the artwork from the email proof they sent us.
                              Honestly its worth every cent to have this done professionally or play around with some different fonts on your PC.
                              best of luck with the venture.
                              Caution: filling may be hot

Comment

Working...
                              X