• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evalen
    Sergeant

• Sep 2006

My new web site.

I am so excited about my new web site.
    Come on in and take a look, stay awhile, let me know what you think.
    I am still adding things, checking out links and all, but I think it is working pretty good now.
    It took me awhile to set it up and all. After all it was a new adventure.
    So here it is, now open to the public. scarey

go to www.newlifediscoveries.com

Evelyn Allen
  • TrickyRick
    First Sergeant

• Feb 2007

Re: My new web site.

Evelyn,

You should be excited about your new site. Looks pretty darn good. Is this your first site to build? A couple of things I noticed, your scrolling banner is running right through the middle of your site title. You might want to move it up or down a little so that your title shows.

You probably will want to name (title) your pages. Do this by right clicking somewhere on the page your editing, select and click on "Properties" and when that window opens, enter the title of the page. Example, your index page could be titled "My New Life Discoveries Home" or "Home of New Life Discoveries".

On your menus, you might want to add a Alternate Text to each so that when hovered with the mouse the link or function of the button is displayed. Example; the button "Newspapers" could have the alternate text of "New Life Discoveries Newspapers". Do this by opening the "Edit Button" window and enter the text you want in the "Alternate Text" field. Now when the button is hovered with the mouse, rather than the path to the html document showing up, your new alternate text will show.

Just a few things I have noticed.
    It can be a great day but it's your choice!

Rick
    P.S. Don't let the world pass you by, ride out ahead of it on a motorcycle!

http://www.deepsouthrides.com

Comment

• bill2006
      Lieutenant General

• May 2006

You are off to a good start.
      In addition to the comments above:
      -Looks like you are using several different fonts. For example, under some of the categories you use Times New Roman and in others Arial
      -The elements in your page are not proportionately centered, Copyright is towards the right and there are others that need centering.
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• michaelng
        Corporal

• Jul 2006

Hi Evalen,

Your wording at the top panel : New Life Discoveries
        is 'cut' by your Marquee....

Comment

• Bethers
          Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Along with the above, when you go from one paragraph to the next on the home page, I'd rather see the same size text - and a space between them.

Centered text should be used more for short blurbs instead of full paragraphs- where I suggest you stay either with standard style or aligned text.

On the links to the various pages, the entire area should be a link. I tried first to go click on the text "The Book Store" and couldn't. As a real customer I might not keep looking to find that only the small icon is clickable. If you want to do it this way (which looks good) make both the name and the icon clickable.

I also would stick with only a couple colors of text. When I got to the product page, I saw so many sizes, colors, etc - that my eyes had no idea where to look.

Under the Green Tree doesn't give a price - just says "order here" - I wouldn't click that without knowing what I was paying.

Colorful Me - you have Available misspelled :) - go through everything - with a fine tooth comb - those missed typos will hurt you - and we all make some!

From the Book Store page, I clicked on Fun Store- and it looked like the home page again - I guess it's still a page in progress? And I had trouble clicking again because what I expected to click on wasn't clickable.

Instead of using capitals to make points in your text, I suggest you use bold. Bolding some words will help people to skim (most will not do anything else anyway) and allows you to choose what/how they skim. Capitals don't have quite the same effect.

To help you with your titles, etc - which are vitally important - have a read here: SEO - The Basics

You've got a great start- now you need to tweak, tweak, tweak.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Evalen
            Sergeant

• Sep 2006

Hi Everyone

thanks so much for your comments.
            I guess I have a lot ot tweaking to do.
            But that is why I put it here.
            You guys are great, You give a lot of correction and comments without putting anyone down.
            Back to to drawing board.
            I will try to get to these as soon as possible.

Evelyn

Comment

• SChajin
              Major General

• Jan 2006

Tweak away, but you are doing a wonderful job and you will get there!
              Sharon Chajin

Comment

• Evalen
                Sergeant

• Sep 2006

Originally posted by michaelng
                Hi Evalen,

Your wording at the top panel : New Life Discoveries
                is 'cut' by your Marquee....
                I am working on my web site to fix some bugs, but the thing I can't understand is about the Marquee.
                Now on my computer when I go to the web site it is fine.
                I have checked with others and it is fine on their computers, some are running comcast and some are on verizon.

But yesterday I went to the computer lab in my building and I clicked onto my web site and sure enough the Marquee cuts through the Title.
                Now I do know that the config. on the computer that I used in the lab is set on large. Everything is large and the whole page does not show and you have to move to see everything.

Now I am not sure why. I hate to change my marquee and have it look still funny on some.

Can anyone tell me about this and how to fix it so that it is ok on everyone's computer.

Evelyn Allen www.newlifediscoveries.com

Comment

• Mook25
                  Brigadier General

• Oct 2005

looks pretty good however the marquee at the top runs over the title 'New life Discoveries' so you can't really see the discoveries word. All links appear to work at least the ones i tried. Keep up the good work
                  Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
                  FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

You can't do anything for when someone has selected "large" type - but you do need to check on different browsers - for example IE and Firefox - as the layout the page just slightly differently - and you want to make sure you aren't cutting anything off on either of them.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Evalen
                      Sergeant

• Sep 2006

Originally posted by Bethers
                      You can't do anything for when someone has selected "large" type - but you do need to check on different browsers - for example IE and Firefox - as the layout the page just slightly differently - and you want to make sure you aren't cutting anything off on either of them.
                      So how do I do that? check out different browsers
                      or fix it

Evelyn

Comment

• proactivator
                        First Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Hi,
                        Just download different browsers on to your desktop. I have firefox (default),
                        ie, opera and netscape. So just check your site in each one in turn. I do not know enough about bluevoda yet to know if one can easily make the html corrections, but I know from using dreamweaver that the older versions of netscape give most problems.
                        http://www.jamesbartondesign.com

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

I usually test in IE and Firefox - if you cover those 2, you'll cover 98+% of the users.

As proactivator says, you need to download the browsers you want to test in (obviously you have IE) - and realize, people with different versions of IE or any of the browsers might still see something slightly different - but you'll be closer.

In order to have no overlap on my pages, I've had to move a few elements after checking - so I usually try to preview in at least these 2 browsers before publishing.
                          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• SAman
                            Major General

• Mar 2007

Evelyn;
                            I am using IE and the marquee is going through the title. Did you try and move it so it was above or below the title rather than going between? Maybe I am way off here.
                            Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

• karel
                              Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

Yes it cuts through for me also.

Evelyn don't worry too much at first about any little problems, I was the same and received the right help and guidance from the people on here, it is very hard to get everything right first time. All responses are always to help and not criticise.

Mistakes are the best way to learn. I still learn something new everytime I come on here.

But you have done a great job so far, very well done for your first attempt.
                              www.anxietynomore.co.uk
                              The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
                              Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
                              Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

Working...
                              X