• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djw
    Private First Class

• Mar 2007

FLASH Site 80% complete - your valued opinions required

• After a few years patching cables in networks and helping friends out with some basic web work thought I would start to learn more . Started the easy way with FLASH (its a joke!!! never worked so hard in my life)) - my site is now 80% complete. Used a purchased FLASH template - had great fun learnt a tremedous amount and only scratched the surface!! Still please if you have time take a look - particilarly interested in the following:
    • Are the pop up windows complete with text? They are on my PC, but viewing some others there is no text - think maybe they have had the pop up ability disabled from their network centre.
    • Any opinions gratefully recieved - I have so much to learn about something I really enjoy.
    http://www.dxswebdesign.com
  • Aliens Anonymous
    Special Status

• Jan 2006

Re: FLASH Site 80% complete - your valued opinions required

First thing first, i don't know on what size computer you built it on but you might want to think about reducing the size, as it burst out the side of my computers and i have 1152 by 862 and most of it was half way down my screen and i could not see the right side with out scrolling.

You have the setting width="1262" height="1448" , open the html page and change the width="1262" height="1448" i beleave there are three places two inside the OBJECT tags and one just below the body tag.

Comment

• webb and romic
      Sergeant Major

• Jan 2007

Hi there
      yes I agree with the other post > everything was so big. The main title was theonly thing on the screen plus it took along time to load. I have a wide screen but it is best to centre it for 800 or 900 and then some people with smaller screens will have to scroll
      Keep up the good work though as there is so much to learn. But I would really concentrate on resizing first and foremost and maybe using more dynamic color scheme as this did not inspire me it was a little flat. That is just my opinion and I am sure others will love the colors. anyway have fun and look forward to seeing the revised site
      james

Comment

• kenb
        Captain

• Sep 2006

Yes the size problem is there. Those scroll over pics that light up are great but can U have them open to more info? I really liked the soft stops of the screen when vertical scrolling. Can you share that secret? All in all pretty impressive. I love flash sites!

Comment

• Aliens Anonymous
          Special Status

• Jan 2006

Your getting there, in the line.
          <BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
          <DIV style="position:absolute;left:8px;top:40px;width:848px;height:541px;z-index:0" align="left">

Change FFFFFF TO 000000 this should change the background to black from white.
          then try changing the left to centre,
          in the top:40px try reducing to 10 or 20 this will pull the movie up towards the screen tool bar.

you might want to increase the height to 700 or 800 this make the text larger

Comment

• Bethers
            Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

You must have sized it down - but now I can't read anything it says -
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I can't get it to load whatsoever......I wonder if it is the IDM tool I have that is preventing auto-loads of certain sites? I can load other Flash sites, but not one that is VH hosted it seems....how odd is that?

I so much wanted to see one of the few Flash sites in VodaLand!

(I have always been bothered by the fact the IDM pops up to "download" music files and other elements on sites....and I cannot find a way to turn it off, other than completely send it to the bin. Since I paid for it, that seems stupid to me. Any ideas on how to "shut off" or diasble my IDM, even selectively? It does offer some "protection" from nefarious downloads, I must admit.)
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• SherylT
                Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

I agree with Beth. Everything is so small on my screen that I can't read a thing.
                Sheryl Tupa
                Cust-M-Cartoons -- 10% Discount Code: "FORUM"
                Personalized Cartoons For Everyone and Personalized Music CDs for Kids
                New Baby Cartoons
                Personalized Cartoons to announce your new arrival!
                Cloud Nine Photo Magic
                Specializing in unique children & pet portraiture

Comment

• motoxxx
                  Major

• Dec 2005

I can't read anything either and I am on a 21 inch monitor! The site is pretty cool but for SEO purposes the flash will be a hinderence. I really like the stereo imaging of the music though.
                  Affordable Medical Insurance
                  Discount Dental Plan
                  Washington State Health Insurance
                  Temporary Health Insurance
                  Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Finally loaded.....(you must have been reloading?).....I saw this template and liked it too. There is actually a similarly designed intro, one of the few complimentary pairs I saw.....did you see it too?

Me tends to believe you must be doing your work on a widescreen, so it appears normal to you, and is contributing to your "issues." Most all templates are best left alone in the size and demensions originally created, as they are designed to optimally present.

Aliens has the words and suggestions to follow, my man, so seems like we're all waiting for your next move!!
                    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Aliens Anonymous
                      Special Status

• Jan 2006

Hi again
                      sorry half asleep last night.
                      you can also change and probably better and easier if you open the source file for the template ( one you open to edit ) in the tool bar at the top click modify, then click Document, you can change the size and background color there. the other fix is a quick fix and will disappear if you edit the file and republish.

Comment

• Mook25
                        Brigadier General

• Oct 2005

The site itself looks good, well layed out and very professional looking. However as has already been said before, you definately need to increase the size of your font so that we can read it, I'd say at least to 12 so that we can read it. You also need to name the page. At the moment you have the title of the page as index.
                        Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
                        FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

• proactivator
                          First Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Hi,
                          I do agree that you have mastered the use of flash very well indeed, but I could not read anything on my screen (1024 x 76. Why do so many designers use large screens and high resolution and then forget about their site visitors? If you used a screen more like those your viewers use then such mistakes would not occur. Is this site meant for media customers and the like? If so, all well and good. If you're looking for mainstream business then this is just wrong. Why do I not like this site? Because it says "look at me, do you like my purple and orange suit, I'm the cats whiskers". ie I think you should tone it down it down and use flash judiciously. But I do think you have great skills.
                          Regards, James.
                          http://www.jamesbartondesign.com

Comment

• Mook25
                            Brigadier General

• Oct 2005

i would also add that not everyone has flash players so you could lose visitors this way. Have you ever considered making an HTML version of your site and having the index page of the domain as a splash page so that users can choose whether to view your flash or HTML site.
                            Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
                            FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

• djw
                              Private First Class

• Mar 2007

Thank you all for taking the time to look - very constructive and very useful feedback. I've always suspected since I first published a month ago that different PCs got different views and your feedback confirms it! I will spend the weekend playing around some more, I too love FLASH - its the future, a Japanese movie site inspired me to get to know it more it was something I just wanted to keep and look at - truly stunning as are the templates available from Vodahost's providers - the designers deserve an award at least . I have followed some of Aliens guidance, a useful, knowledgeable and helpful person to know. Five years to try and turn a hobby into something more professional - sure to let youknow when its completed and updated

Comment

Working...
                              X