• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Lewis
    Private

• Mar 2007

Just published and very proud!!

Hello All,

A week ago I knew nothing about website design or hosting - and then I met Vodahost and Bluevoda! I have had a great time designing a website for my new training company here in the UK. The Vodahost customer service is simply awesome!

If any of you can spare a moment to view my site and to give some feedback, I would be very grateful. I have noticed one thing so far, and that is that there tends to be a large blank space running down the right-hand side of my pages when viewed on other machines; whilst on my PC it fits the screen perfectly. Can anyone give advice as to how I ensure that it fits perfectly everytime on my viewers computers?

www.bluehattraining.com

Regards,

Peter
  • davidundalicia
    General

• Mar 2006

Re: Just published and very proud!!

Have you checked the page properties box, most times it because there is a hidden/cant see unused text box beyond the 800 mark.......
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• webdesigner
      Master Sergeant

• Feb 2006

hi your site looks good,..well put together and excellent for only aweek learning about all the different things which make a website work,..(spotted on the about us page a x missing of experience about 3rd line down)not been picky just could not post up and not mension this,..good luck best wishes.

Comment

• larazovich
        General

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by Peter Lewis
        Hello All,

A week ago I knew nothing about website design or hosting - and then I met Vodahost and Bluevoda! I have had a great time designing a website for my new training company here in the UK. The Vodahost customer service is simply awesome!

If any of you can spare a moment to view my site and to give some feedback, I would be very grateful. I have noticed one thing so far, and that is that there tends to be a large blank space running down the right-hand side of my pages when viewed on other machines; whilst on my PC it fits the screen perfectly. Can anyone give advice as to how I ensure that it fits perfectly everytime on my viewers computers?

www.bluehattraining.com

Regards,

Peter

Lovely site, Peter. Clean, easy to navigate, good job, and well done.
        I like the navigatin on top and bottom, made it simple and efficient to get around. The colors are easy on the eye, and the text is easy to read.

One thought I had, throughout - I was wondering where you were located, and what areas you serviced, and I could not find that.
        I saw the phone number so figured you weren't anywhere familiar to me..

Good luck.
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com
        www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

• bill2006
          Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Looks good, like the colors.

-Not sure why your pages aren't centered, tested both IE6 and Firefox with same results.
          -Re that phone number, consider adding "tel" or "ph"; might help avoid confusion for those in an other region.

Added to favorites.
          Bill
          www.blueearthtea.com
          www.ftaaconsulting.com
          www.iaval.com
          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• lyndataylor@bellsouth.net
            Staff Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Great job. I too love the colors. I agree that you should put in the area where you are located and add in telephone also. I knew it was your telephone number, but I'm sure that there are some out there who wouldn't know. Also in your "about us" section, there were a couple of spelling errors, down in the last paragraph about yourself. Just picky little things, but important, nonetheless. LOL
            Well done, Paul.
            Lynda
            www.thevirtualword.com

Comment

• choco777
              Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Welll done, I think that the navigation bar should either be at the top or bottom , you choose but not both. That is only my opinion though. Otherwise very nice.
              Choco777
              www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• Bethers
                Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Truthfully, I don't ever make it into a site that has an enter page - that really has no useful purpose. Remember, the largest percentage of people who come to your site never leave the first page they come to - and you have to grab their attention for them to do so. I'd suggest you start your site with the page you currently have to click enter to get to.

You say others have white space. I'm guessing that you are using a computer with a screen resolution of 800 wide - which means your site fills your screen. You are in the minority if that's your resolution (now less than 20% use that). However, building in it is smart because it allows everyone to see the site without right/left scrolling.

Whenever you make changes on your pages, before saving and republishing - go back into page properties and make sure the width didn't self-adjust to one you don't want. In your case a width of 800 would be good. Then make sure you've clicked to center the page :)

You also need to be more creative with your page titles - unless you think your name is well-known and people will be searching for you by name. You might want to read the SEO- The Basics book in my siggy (it's free) and that will help you with your title and tags.

You've done a great job - it's a matter of tweaking now.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

• WWE
                  Private

• Apr 2007

I want to publisher some information on my site about WWE.

Comment

• proactivator
                    First Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Hi,
                    Like the design and funcionality of your site alot. You have had criticism re top and bottom navigation. My thinking on this is that if you have long pages that require alot of scrolling then bottom navigation as well as top is good. If pages are short like yours (which I think is excellent design to which not enough attention is paid by many) it is probably superfluous. I am in the early stages of developing my site at http://jamesbartondesign.com and I will keep the vast majority of my pages without scrolling except where it is unavoidable. Where there will be fairly extensive scrolling (my thumbnail pages) then there will bottom navigation along with the normal side bar. Seeing you made your site from a standing start in just a week then I give you my hearty congratulations: you're a better man than me!
                    http://www.jamesbartondesign.com

Comment

• Mirelle
                      Captain

• Mar 2006

Peter

Your thread gave me hope, as i am in the same boat as you were a week ago, just a week and you got a site as good as that ?

To right you should be proud.
                      Mirelle

Comment

Working...
                      X