• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malhoeira
    Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

All comments welcome!

I launched www.british-cemetery-elvas.org this week and would welcome any comments and creative ideas.
    Don't be put off by the name. It's a Peninsular War site.

I’d like a crisper font than Arial12 that’s still browser-friendly.

Where do I get flags to use as navigation buttons for Portuguese and Spanish pages?

Thanks for the tips y’all so generously share with those of us who have a notion but not a clue.
    Sarah
    british-cemetery-elvas.org
  • bill2006
    Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Re: All comments welcome!

Nice work,
    Originally posted by Malhoeira
    I launched www.british-cemetery-elvas.org this week and would welcome any comments and creative ideas. Don't be put off by the name. It's a Peninsular War site. The site Title would make it appear to be a Portuguese site with a English as the second language, yet the text below is all English. Perhaps placing the English Header above would make it clearer. Vice versa for your other languages.

I’d like a crisper font than Arial12 that’s still browser-friendly. There aren't many fonts that are common to most users, Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma. You can also try Verdana. In the NavBar take the bold off, your emnu's will appear clearer. Also, the mouse over is almost unreadable, consider a light grey tone instead (?).

Where do I get flags to use as navigation buttons for Portuguese and Spanish pages? Search the web for flags and copy the images as a .jpeg or .gif, you can size them manually or use PixResizer. Feel free to copy the Spanish and British flags from my website.

Thanks for the tips y’all so generously share with those of us who have a notion but not a clue.
    Also:
    -the first image on this page does not show.
    -the Contact page is not centered.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• Malhoeira
      Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thanks Bill!

The gremlins must have been at BV yesterday, Friday the 13th. Couldn’t access the forum.

Both photos show on my browser but two friends [on different continents] with dial-up can't get the first photo either. I asked Customer Support but they told me it's a design issue [?] and I had to ask on the forum for a solution. Any idea how to fix it? Curiously, the left hand photo is 35.4 kb and the right one is 32.4 kb. So why does one show and not the other? The photo on the home page is 3x as big and they can see that one. Most of the photos are about 35 kb but the home page one is 95. What’s the ideal size?

I don't know anything about the mouse over. How do I adjust the color?

Is the bold on the navigation buttons really a problem? They look nifty from here. Britannic bold. Very symbolic. There is no Britannic-not bold.

Thanks for the flags and the Portuguese link. Our legal name is the Portuguese one but most members are English speaking. Tricky but I take your point and will see what I can do.

I’ve noticed that the sites that look professional have a static navigation bar. All three of your sites are impressive but iaval is rock steady. Did you use CSS for that? There’s been some discussion on the forum about using i-frames for the navigation bar but a friend advised me to use CSS. I think I’m capable of learning everything, eventually. Just want to start on the right path.

Thanks again for your help, Bill.
      Sarah

Comment

• LadyEye
        General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Looks as though you have done a pretty good job, and you hae your pics under control, they are come into view for me and look good, you might want to consider setting the target of your links to _self, this keeps the viewer on your site as they go off to visit the link .. good job!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Malhoeira
          Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thanks. I've wondered about those targets. It's not explained on any of the tutorials.

Nor are the options listed along with http and mailto
          When would you use ftp or any of the others?

I answered your comment to my Help, please but I don't see that thread on the forum now. Maybe it's uploading my reply.
          I just wanted to thank you for your advice and the url. Will try that.

What I forgot to say on the other reply is that Alt = alternate text. The image tutorial speaks of Alt Text so I thought I was "with it" to call it alt text too. Re: my question whether Google looks at the file name or the alternative text one can add to an image.
          Sarah

Comment

• karel
            Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

I found that the picture on the home page is covering loads of the text, not sure how it looks with others.

Simple looking site which is clean and tidy, it does its job very well.

Paul
            www.anxietynomore.co.uk
            The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
            Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
            Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

• SAman
              Major General

• Mar 2007

Your site looks real good, and all the pics are working for me, the one on the home page though, (as Paul said) is cover text at the bottom of the picture.
              Good job, keep up the good work!!
              Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

• bill2006
                Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Sarah,
                Your pics show up fine now. Sometimes you add an image and then move the file and you have to make sure that BV knows where to find it.

For the mouse over, right click NavBar to open Properties and select "Style" on the top. You can change the color of the text for the mouse over, you can see your changes on the bottom.

Leave the bold, I misread and thought you also wanted that to be crisper. The Navbars on my pages, were tweaked using the BV options. Its locked in place for every page.

Good luck
                Bill
                www.blueearthtea.com
                www.ftaaconsulting.com
                www.iaval.com
                www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• aconstas1
                  Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

I suggest putting an over effect on all of your buttons, not just some. I also suggest that your over effect not be white text on white background. Maybe try that red in the redcoats for the over effect. It would compliment your site a little more I think.

Well Done!!
                  Best Regards,
                  Alex
                  Surveillance Systems
                  Restaurant POS | Retail POS
                  Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

• Malhoeira
                    Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thank you all for your suggestions. You're right, the first paragraph snuck up under the photo on the home page.

About the time I upgraded to BV9, all the images in my BV image folder suddenly renamed themselves, some disappeared and one tripled itself. So I don't dare republish any of those pages until I rename the pictures and I'll resize them while I'm at it.

Will experiment with the navigation buttons. I chose the white on white because it seemed to compliment the cameo image of our icon. But nothing here is written in stone!
                    Sarah

Comment

Working...
                    X