• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karel
    Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

Want a total honest opinion on site changes

O.k I was going to change the look of my website www.anxietynomore.co.uk and I hope this is the right place to post, if not then forgive me mods....

I want a cleaner crisper look to it and maybe a logo. The site is growing every month and I just wanted to maybe go away from a hobby site (which is how it started out) and give it a makeover and take it forward.

I am happyish with the look, but after looking at sites that are built here I know I could improve things.

So I want an honest opinion, if you think its bland, dull, poor colours etc....then let me know, nothing will be taken in the wrong way.

I was also thinking about getting some new nav buttons done. Any ideas on what you think would improve things. Other people's ideas can only help you widen your options and ideas.

Thanks all, your input is much appreciated.

Be as honest as you like...........

Paul
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk
    The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
    Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
    Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.
  • SChajin
    Major General

• Jan 2006

Re: Want a total honest opinion on site changes

Looks good Paul.....Good Job
    Sharon Chajin

Comment

• Patience
      Brigadier General

• Mar 2007

I think it looks great. Chock full of info. Easy to read, easy to navigate. I wish you tremendous success with it!

Noticed that the page transitions are not all the same. There's one little typo on the home page, Paranoia about what peole think
      Vicki

www.staceygoldendesigns.net

Comment

• 1lear
        Staff Sergeant

• Apr 2007

Im new to this but I think your site is very nice. Nice color ,fits subject. I know sometimes we just like to tweak things for the sake of tweaking so if thats what you want to go ahead but its looks like its there already.
        Lose the Weight

Comment

• matrixxxxxx1
          Captain

• Apr 2006

Hiya Paul

I just had a peek at your site. It looks great. I use Mozilla firefox, and I noticed on your anxiety_explained page at the bottom that you have some overlap. It could be from my end. you may want to check with someone else that uses Firefox. Image below

http://www.atexflooring.ca
          http://www.newfloor.ca

Comment

• LadyEye
            General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Hi Paul

Yes I too viewed on ff and see the overlapping that matrixxxxxxxx refers to .... easy fix these days with being able to configure your preview in any browser with the new BV9 feature.

I find with ff in comparison to IE - the text drops down about a 1/4 - 1/2" (ladies measurements, lol)

Paul - your site looks nice, has worked for you, why change a good thing ... lol ... why not fix this up to work in all browsers and start that new project ... you have much on the go don't you ... lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Collectors-info
              General

• Feb 2006

Have a few bits that could be changed.
              Small list for you.

Your header/banner is 785X101px & has been stretched to 812X103px & looks very distorted
              All these pages have text & image overlapping problems with fire fox.
              Panic Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety explained. Help and advice on why we feel the way we do and how can we recover.

Here you will find the most common questions answered on Anxiety and panic, including disturbing thoughts, social anxiety and feelings of unreality.

At last a life the best selling book on anxiety written by ex sufferer Paul David, in audio, ebook, kindle or physical form.

Help and advice in overcoming scary, racing and Intrusive thoughts. Learn the causes, what keeps us in the cycle and how to be free of them.

Read my personal story on how I overcame panic and fear. You overcome fear through understanding, not by avoidance.

Depersonalisation and Derealisation, understanding why you feel unreal, trapped within your own mind with helpful advice on how to overcome this condition

Nearly all page transitions are not in sink with each other. (Jumping around) IE: should use a single template & lock the main structure elements so it’s the same for every page.
              The other advantage of using a single template is pages will load a lot faster for a visitor after they have loaded the 1st page they land on. This is because all your BV images will have the same file name & will be in the visitor’s cache for the next page they go to.

Good luck.
              Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• karel
                Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

Nearly all page transitions are not in sink with each other. (Jumping around) IE: should use a single template & lock the main structure elements so it’s the same for every page.
                The other advantage of using a single template is pages will load a lot faster for a visitor after they have loaded the 1st page they land on. This is because all your BV images will have the same file name & will be in the visitor’s cache for the next page they go to.
                Thanks Chris and agree with you, the problem is I am forever changing the length of pages and adding information etc, this is on a daily basis near enough and the pages do get moved on the odd occasion, but I will go away and do my best and try and lock them.

Noticed that the page transitions are not all the same. There's one little typo on the home page, Paranoia about what peole think
                Thanks for spotting that patience....

Thank you everyone, the firefox problem is a problem as if I do lower the images, then when viewed in what 90% of people view in then the gaps are huge, so I win with one and not the other.

I agree with you Holly on it does well, but that's the problem, the site is growing so fast, around 1,500 more hits every month. Now that's down to the people on here as much as it is me.

I suppose then you start questioning things, like does it look o.k, safe enough and professional enough for people to buy from, could I really take it forward with a new cleaner look etc....

The new project will depend a lot on how this site does as it is related and there will be a link from my the site.

Well thank you all for looking, I will see what I can do with the viewing in firefox problem, if anyone else has any views then please say, I just see some very nice sites here and wondered if I could improve it in anyway.
                www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

• Collectors-info
                  General

• Feb 2006

Hi, was having a play with your pages to solve that over lap, & found if you use separate areas of tables to place your text & images in, it seems to get rid of this problem of anything overlapping. Plus it seems that you can get the images as close as you want to the text.
                  You have to play with the cell align a little, but seems to work well. It is also has been made a lot easier since the VH team upgraded the way the cells work.
                  I tried it using your text & tripling it, making your page 3 times the length, plus added 6 images & still all worked fine in all browsers, with no over lap & no large gaps between text & images.
                  So this maybe the way to go with long pages?

Good luck.
                  Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• Mook25
                    Brigadier General

• Oct 2005

CSS should sort out the problem in firefox as you can add the element 'padding' in which should shift in firefox but stay more or less the same in IE. At least that's how it worked on my website.
                    Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
                    FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

• karel
                      Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

Thanks Chris and mook, I will have a play around and see what I can do, even the 10% who do view in firefox can end up a hell of a lot of people over time, so I know I need to sort it out....Thanks again for your help.

Paul
                      www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

• Mook25
                        Brigadier General

• Oct 2005

I had the same problem with my globalmook site where the main nav bar in IE looked fine but when viewed in FF it was touching the other boxes in the menus down the side. If you look at my site through both IE and FF you'll notice that in IE the boxes down the left and right hand sides are slightly lower than in FF but it's not that noticable. All this was achieved through a little CSS coding and is definatly the easiest way to move forward once you know what you are doing.

I have IE and firefox installed on my system, this way i can correct the changes as they happen. It is possible to have 2 browsers or more installed. I would highly recommend it, that way you can view your site how other people would.
                        FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

• karel
                          Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

I will try my best Mook. The marketing of sites and getting them found is my stronger side, the techie side I am still learning somewhat.

But the best way to learn is to play around, if I have any problems I will pop back with a question.

Thanks again, oh and just downloaded your logos, you can never have enough

Paul
                          www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

• JoeCacia
                            Sergeant First Class

• Dec 2006

Read my personal story on how I overcame panic and fear. You overcome fear through understanding, not by avoidance.

I saw the same problem as matrix1, in this page, well, maybe because I am using "firefox".
                            Sometimes, if you built your own web, you will notice a little difference when using firefox, internet explorer, opera or other, there is a little trick when doing your own site, but when looking at your site in internet explorer, it is so perfect, there is nothing to talk about but all the best.

Like I said before, if someone is using other than internet explorer will find these issues.
                            Are you using Macromedia Dreamweaver?

Comment

• Mook25
                              Brigadier General

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by karel
                              I will try my best Mook. The marketing of sites and getting them found is my stronger side, the techie side I am still learning somewhat.

But the best way to learn is to play around, if I have any problems I will pop back with a question.

Thanks again, oh and just downloaded your logos, you can never have enough

Paul
                              No worries about the logo's, just glad they could help you.

One tip i'd offer you on skinning your site is to first create a duplicate site inside another directory and then play around with this one. By doing this you will not affect the original until you are happy with everything, then you just move the files over to the original directory.

This is especially good in case, like i've done on a few occasions, you mess up your site.

Good luck on the update and i look forward to seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X