• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karen Ringrose
    First Lieutenant

• Feb 2007

Please review my latest site

Hi
    Please can anyone please review my new site, would love some feedback now its fully in swing !
    Many thanks to all in advance
    Regards
    Karen
    :)
  • bill2006
    Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Re: Please review my latest site

Hi Karen,
    -Bit on the wide side, maybe you can bnarrow it to avoid the horizontal scroll.
    -Colors: interesting combination, it works.
    -Titles: Change from index to something about your site and then the URL
    -This http://www.top100weddingsites.com/sc....cgi?id=little appears at the bottom. Not as a link but as text.
    -The Brick link replaces your page, maybe you want to change to _self.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• Bethers
      Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Karen,
      You've made this page wider than most people will have their computer screens set. I'm not one of those who say you have to be under 800 - but I will say you have to stay at a width under 1024 - and to fit comfortably on screens with 1024 resolution - you should stay under 1000.

That said, I started scrolling your page - and as soon as I saw extraneous links - that have nothing to do with your site - I'd click off. There is no reason for you to have those links - and especially no reason for them to be on the home page - and I include the voip, the seo stuff, etc.

You also chose a text that looks too much like all caps - as the text itself is all caps - which would work good for headlines - but makes it appear that you are screaming at your customers (as all caps is considered yelling in internet speak).

I only looked at the home page - it hasn't been given a title - one of the first and most important steps in SEO.

I suggest you either change your navigation buttons so that all the words will fit on them - or change the words so they fit on the buttons you are using.

You also need to bold some of the words in your text - make it so people can skim. A good way to do this, would be to take the words you can link to interior pages, and link them - using a different color text - or at least a different shade - or bolder text. Right now it's too hard to read it all.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• PlayItByBeer
        Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Hi Karen,

When the page started loading I thought 'gosh' thats a loud green, but together with the other colours, it works.

**If you mouse over the green background it suggests a dead end link http://thelittlefavourboxcompanyindex.html/
        **Some of your nav bar text overflows.
        **The team wedding.com link is sitting inside your content block and not below the others on the left.
        **Some of your nav buttons (one of the longer list I've seen) seem to be dead ends. http://thelittlefavourboxcompany.com/GuestBooks.html
        **There are plenty of spaces missing after a comma (,) in your feature text.

You've put in loads of ground work, keep it up.
        Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
        Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
        Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
        BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

• Karen Ringrose
          First Lieutenant

• Feb 2007

Hi All
          Thanks for comments, all comments noted. Yea was aware of all the empty nav buttons waiting for stock to arrive from Canada so wanted to get the pages up and ready. With regard the width,its the only way that i can get everything to fit into pages unfortunately ! I have removed the link thingy too, i have the links as they are listing my site cant get out of that one ime affriad. I didnt understand the bit you said Bethers abour SEO and the index page and naming the page? Can you let me have some idea's please? I will be revamping later but this has been a task for the last month or so and ime in middle of doing big wedding orders, not bad though only been getting hits here last week and i have 2 sales ! Any ideas from anyone re: advertising? i have ad words and the recip links !
          Thanks again for your advice all
          Regards
          Karen:)

Comment

• Collectors-info
            General

• Feb 2006

Hi, you will have to get the amount of images down on your gallery page. 130 is a touch to many.

Good luck
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• proactivator
              First Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Hi Karen,
              Re width of your pages, I really think you should listen to Bethers advice on this one. There is absolutely masses of room to have a page 800px wide. You have been too extravagant with your design: just tighten it up.

Your gallery page: Why have it at all? Get rid because all the images are on other pages, where they can be enlarged. I have a broadband connection and even so it took 45 seconds to load the gallery page (hardly surprising as it is a monster at 6759kb). If you really have decided that you must have it, put it at the bottom of your navigation and not second under home. That way you at least leave a good chance that people will persevere and continue into your site.

The colours. This is a matter of taste, but It would be good if you could choose them to set the mood of what you are selling. It is important.
              http://www.jamesbartondesign.com

Comment

• Bethers
                Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

I will say - at least get the page down to under 1000 wide - it's very important.

As to the title on the page - you need to give the pages a title that fits them - go into page properties - and where it says Title - put one in that uses the best keywords for THAT page. This is NOT where you put the name of the page you saved it by (although in some cases it can be the same - it should never be the same in the index page.)

I also suggest you spend a few minutes to read the SEO book you can get to from my signature.

And you have to tighten up the text anyway- and get bold or color changes in it - right now there is no one who will stay and read it, unfortunatley.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

• gabainc
                  Sergeant First Class

• May 2007

Also here is the linkk to learn how to make your buttons wider on your nav bar so all your words can fit on them. This forum is full of knowledge..

Enjoy Aaron

Comment

• Karen Ringrose
                    First Lieutenant

• Feb 2007

Hi All
                    Thanks for all your comments and advice, i am working on it and will try to get something done this week. Thanks Bethers for SEO downloads will try and get my head round this one night this week i have heavy work load this week !
                    Thanks again everone
                    Take it easy
                    Karen:)

Comment

Working...
                    X