Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I overhauled the whole thing, and was wondering what you all think :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I overhauled the whole thing, and was wondering what you all think :)

Hi all -
    If you wouldn't mind taking a look-see? I've been busy overhauling my entire site.
    I'm not even close to done yet with it, but I was wondering what you guys think.

Also, I never could figure out how to configure Noah’s Classifieds, so I purchased a different one (classified ad program) and got them to help with the install. (of course I had no clue of how to install the thing - lol.

So I now have a new classified section - of course I still need to finish learning how to configure it now, and I haven't a clue yet about CSS... but it is up and working for the most part.

& Just FYI : I'm running a special for July so all who sign up in the month of July, and places their first ad gets it for free (Including upgrade to "featured ad")
    If anybody has any tips or ideas about adding on any different categories - please let me know..

I can't wait to hear what you all think!
    - Beck
    www.hitchhikinghorses.com

Oh - I also redid the entire site: www.candcshires.com too!
    Thanks All!

Re: I overhauled the whole thing, and was wondering what you all think :)

Beck
    -First it would seem that your website is about Horses, yet your pages point to dogs.
    -A black background can be difficult to work with. Consider a lighter tone.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Agree with Bill,

It´s quite hard on the eyes if you have a black background.
      N Z B R
      t o u r s
      New Zealand Tours
      Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
      Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
      Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
      Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Hey Beck

It's always hard matching colors on a black background.

I would suggest you keep your main page focused on what your sites Theme is which I believe is horses. You could use links on secondary pages to other hobbies or interests.

People searching on horses will arrive at your site and at the moment see Dogs, Trucks for sale etc etc.
        Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

Hi Beck ... love what you are doing and the site is looking great but I have to say 'ditto' to all the comments above ... keep up the good work ...
          kym, merlin & tala
          creating white majick
          www.whiteshepherds.com.au
          www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
          www.merlinsmajick.com
          www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

Your design is great but i don't like black backgrounds either. Your classified section looks heaps better on a white background.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments..
              I will consider a few changes ASAP you guys gave me lots of food for thought.
              As for my front page I don't have the Transport photos ready for publishing just yet a few more days for that – and I’m working on our "story" not quite finished yet with that either it will be used for making up that first page.

but I do happen to have a litter of puppies for sale and a current ad in the paper for them sending people to my web site. So I had to get the photos of them up kind of ASAP. :)

... But Hitch Hiking Horses - we are about animals in general (see logo) mostly dogs and horses… not just horses – kind of an oversight I suppose when we picked the name.

I however really do see your point about fixing that up. And being clearer about what/who we are on that first page. And will be getting to fixing that here shortly.

Thanks again for the input - looks like I have a bit more work ahead of me.

Did you by chance check out www.candcshires.com ? I did her page in mostly black as well. Although it is still a couple of pages away from being totally finished -- I think it works. But what do you think?

Thanks again,
              Beck

Comment

Hi Beck,

I like C & C and I want Toad .. lol ... he's gorgeous ... only problem is I've given up riding at the moment ... I like this site ... really love that scrolling banner ... how did you do it? It was something I had in mind for my UWSA site but don't know how ... keep up the good work ... I even like the music which is not normal for me ...
                kym, merlin & tala
                creating white majick
                www.merlinsmajick.com
                www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

really love that scrolling banner ... how did you do it?
                  I used the marquee feature in bv web builder I can’t remember where I got the tip from, but somebody else here in bv figured this out first (so I can't take credit for this)

Instead of putting text in the marquee, you can add a bunch of photos
                  It can be a bit tedious, depending how many photos you use, but I think the end result was worth it.

But here is how I did it:

1- Adding all the photos you want to your page, by using the insert image button.
                  2- Make sure all of your photos are close to the same size you may need to resize them in a photo editor first. (example: the size I used in my marquee is width="204" height="183" or "172" height="186"
                  3- Okay - the width isn’t as important as the height.
                  If you don’t get you photos exactly the same height with a photo editor don’t worry just get them close (ie:lets say the goal is height= “186” then this would be fine for the oment - height="190” or height="183” you will be able to fix it latter.
                  4- Next pick your first photo - right click on it then click to open the HTML properties of it. Copy the HTML properties of that photo.
                  5- Next open up the marquee properties box in the Text box paste the HTML code for your photo in the text box. **TIP: if you want the photo to be clickable and link to another page, or web site, you add the link to the photo before copying the HTML code. When you paste it to the marquee it will automatically link when you click it. **
                  6- Now in the marquee text box, you can change the HTML code as needed so if your height is off a bit you can now fix it.
                  7- Continue to do this for all the photos you want to add..
                  8- After you place in all your photos in the marquee, then you can fix the speed of your marquee, and if you want it to scroll or slide (I opted for the slide)
                  9- Next is publishing it: There may be other ways to get your photos uploaded to your FTP, but this is how I did it… By publishing the entire page. You must Include all your original photos and the marquee. (then check to see if it published properly just to be sure) then you can delete all the original photos and republish the page with just the marquee. and it works!
                  Or better yet, save this page with the original photos, and publish it as a separate page (one you won’t actually link anything from your site to) so you have the photos uploaded to your FTP, and then just copy and paste the marquee to use on any other page.

I attached a screen shot example.
                  Hope this helps.

And thanks for the nice review of www.candcshires.com
                  I will get www.hitchhikinghorses .com sorted out next week..
                  I'll be back for your thought when I get it fixed
                  --Again Thanks all for your opinions!
                  Beck
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Beck,

I like your site looks good to me...Hard work there
                    Sharon Chajin

Comment

Thank Beck ... I think it worked ... those instructions were very easy to follow ... thank you so much for your help ...
                      kym, merlin & tala
                      creating white majick
                      www.merlinsmajick.com
                      www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

Beck! Absolutely LOVE the candcshires.com site! GREAT JOB!! Love the photos, the music especially. Makes me REALLY, REALLY want a horse, especially one from your stallion! Great Job. It shows what you are capable of. I do agree with the others on the hitchhikinghorses site...still need to do some work on that. the black background for candcshires works well for that site, in my opinion. And thanks for the tip on the scrolling pictures. I've made note of that!! Have fun!!
                        Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Hello, Bruddah! Good to see your re-entry!

I am very glad to see that you have used Noah's Classifieds well, and as far as I can recall, yours is the first such example I have come across in VodaLand yet!

I have been curious to see how it and how I might imagine using it somewhere someday, and am glad you have found good use for it.

The others have pretty much brought forth the main tech issues, so I am sure you will be engaged for a bit as you implement your well-defined progress!

Thanks for the peek, and congratulations on the refinement of your website.
                          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks all for your comments! All have been noted - I've already begun re-working Hitch Hiking Horse's color scheme...
                            Still a bit in the thought process with it, But I have made a little progress on the actual transport info and photos. (the Transport page has been redone) But still alot of work to be done on the index page- and the rest of the site.

Vasili..
                            I am very glad to see that you have used Noah's Classifieds well, and as far as I can recall, yours is the first such example I have come across in VodaLand yet!

Sorry, but I didn’t use Noah's - I was never able to figure out how to get Noah's Classifieds to work -- so I cheated and purchased a different program. Maybe you all could look in to fixing the Noah's Classified thing to make it easier for others?
                            I installed it fine, but it never allowed me to log in as administrator and change anything. It said I could, but wouldn’t work. So I gave up (No - I didn't ask for any help – and in hind sight, probably should have, as it might have saved me some money) :)

Beck
                            www.candcshires.com

Comment

Shucks.....well, I guess it goes to show you that entrapranuerial spirit is never thwarted!

I'll be patient until I see how the thing works (I too, ran into obstacles, so maybe I am just looking for peerage after all).

LOL
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X