Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please critique my site

Hi Everyone,
    I would appreciate your critique of this website, now that I have finally figured out how to use BlueVoda, BlueFTP, cPanel, etc. in order to get the site onto the allocated server.
    The motto..Plan the work and work the plan...should be restated to,...

Plan the work, listen to the tutorials, test out the instructions and then work the plan to build your website. After you have finished, publish the pages through BlueVoda and use BlueFTP to drop and drag the rest.

Use cPanel for emails etc.

However, I still have to try Soholaunch.

Your comments are requested.

Regards.....mercman
    Client id #: 16000
    Last edited by mercman; 07-08-2007, 07:49 PM. Reason: change title

Re: Please critique my site

Here is the url - if anyone wants to find your site:

You don't need the /index.html on the home page - but if you put it - don't forget the l :)

A couple things about the site - you need to do some work on your page titles (what shows in the bar across the top of the screen). And pages within your own website shouldn't be opening in new windows. I only clicked on one page - and it did that - and I cliccked off both pages when that happened.

You've got a good start - and I'm sure others will give you good advice.

For SEO help - I suggest you read the SEO book that's in the last link in my signature.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

overlapping text here

Comment

Hi Mercman

Welcome...I had to LOLOL at your site building description.

Consider moving your top nav bar to just above SBOSA Homepage as it looks out of sorts over your template's arc or maybe move it to the bottom of your page, as you have the same links in your side nav bar.

Maybe a picture or three would add life (As it's an 'old boys' and 'girls' site, for nostalgia a black and white or two) Good pictures of the schools always work well. Maybe to keep interest in your site, think about a newsletter and online purchase of memorabilia or clothing (even if you are promoting what's available at the school shops)

If you organise reunions then an online form where old boys can register their contact details works to capture and create a data base (it's always a nightmare finding people 25 years down the line) and if you really want to get fancy, allow them to place their business details while registering to create an 'online network' to promote reciprocal support of each other.

Cheers,
        Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
        Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
        Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
        BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

Last point...Watch out for fancy fonts as not all of them are recognised, but more important they are often difficult to read. So keep in mind that this is an 'old boy's' and 'girls' website. LOL

Cheers
          Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
          Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
          Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
          BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

From mercman:
            To all of you who have replied. Thanks for the information. I am still waiting for the "old boys" and "girls" to forward some pictures to me so that I can liven up the site. And yes...I just discovered that the font type which I used is not very friendly. I will be correcting these immediately.
            As to the database..I have spent the last few days hunting the different threads on Vodahost to see if I could find some script for an auto update of a database. I am still looking!!
            Thanks once again.

Comment

To Bethers
              I am still a bit confused about _self, -parent, and _top and when to use these to stop pages opening in an _blank page each time. Whilst the tutorial does give you the choice it does not explain any rules to abide by. Perhaps you have some suggestions to help me understand how to have each page published in the same window. Should I be using _top each time.

mercman

Comment

Working...
              X