• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PlayItByBeer
    Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Re: My first web site please help

Originally posted by patbosman View Post
    Hi I have now submitted all my pages with .html extensions I hope this works. I still need advice on the order page please.

Thanks for all your help

patbosman (ewqtxqm)
    Hi Pat,
    If you click on your nav buttons in BV, the link or button URL should contain the extension .html which it does not. (repeat the changes or copy/paste the nav bar on all of your pages)
    Consider placing your website address in your signature, as it's easier for VH members to find, review and offer help regarding your site.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
    Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
    Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
    BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

• patbosman
      Corporal

• Aug 2007

Hi I have added .html to all the nav buttons on all the pages.

Thanks for your patience.

patbosman.com (ewqtxqm)

Comment

• patbosman
        Corporal

• Aug 2007

Hi all please check if my pages can now be linked I have put the .html on all the pages as per you advice.

Thanks for all the help.

patbosman.com (ewqtxqm)

Comment

• Garren
          Master Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Hi Pat,

I would strongly suggest going through the video tutorials.
          Never Let a Kind word go Un said!

Soy Candles

Comment

• patbosman
            Corporal

• Aug 2007

Hi I have gone through the tutorials and did what I could if there is something that I have missed please tell me. I am not a computer bofin so I don't always understand the lingo. Please help.

patbosman.com (ewqtxqm)

Comment

• Garren
              Master Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Everyone of your pages needs to be republished everytime you change them. Otherwise the changes you make on your website builder which is on your own computer will not show up on your website which is on a server.
              Never Let a Kind word go Un said!

Soy Candles

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

http://www.patbosman.com/index.htlm >> change to simply "index" by Save Page as instructed earlier (this shows still that you are not only adding extensions yourself, but misspelling them), and re-publish immediately.

The next order is to properly Save and publish your pages according to how you have already established your Menu system:
                patbosman.com/workshop
                patbosman.com/e-course
                patbosman.com/about
                patbosman.com/contact
                patbosman.com/testimonials
                patbosman.com/gallery
                patbosman.com/order

As you can see, none of these pages can "be found", probably because even though you have published them, they are not Saved with the same names as you have put into your Menu navigation. It is far easier to re-save and re-publish the pages according to what you already have up in yur navigation than to ask you to make global changes on your nav at this point......

Be sure to clean up your BV folder by deleting the improperly titled pages after all is said and done, so as not to confound you later.

Step by step....don't rush things, and try to absorb the linear thinking this takes to accomplish (logically, one process precisely performed at a time, just the way computers like it).
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• patbosman
                  Corporal

• Aug 2007

Hi I have just made changes to my front page and have put all the .html extensions on all the pages in the nav bars. Please let this work this time the only page I have not finished yet is the order page.

patbosman.com (ewqtxqm)

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Not so fast.....if you go to your index page and simply roll over your navigation buttons, you can see for yourself that the ".html" extensions have not been added (look at the lower left of you browser as you mouseover them) to the hyperlinks you entered.

And this is only on the index page.......once you have properly corrected this, you can then publish the index, and proceed to copy/paste the same Menu onto all the other pages (re-publishing each as well).
                    >> During the process of dropping in the proper Menu nav, double-check that the pages themselves have been saved properly (matching the links in the Menu) before publishing them, keeping in mind that BV automatically adds extensions. Try to prevent duplicative work unnecessarily, right?

Comment

• patbosman
                      Corporal

• Aug 2007

Hi I can see that. Please take a look at the changes on my home page that I submitted today along with my other pages. You will see that I have added all the .html as you advised. the only page not there is the order page which I will submit right now as there was an error while trying to publish it.

Is there any way in which I can talk to someone via the telephone as I have a few questions I need to have answered.

Many thanks for all your patience and help.

patbosman.com (ewqtxqm)

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I see no changes whatsoever.....

You are not getting it: YOU do not add the ".html" extension to your PAGES at all, Blue Voda does it automatically for you when you save the page >> you need to SAVE pages with a simple page name only, all lower case, and if necessary with an underscore between words like_this. Period.

When it comes to linking (either dynamic as in a Menu Properties dialog box or even manually for text) you must fully enter the path, which is the page.... seen as www.yourwebsite.com/sample_page.html .... where the ".html" extension defines the page type.

You apparently are still saving pages with added extensions.....(and I suggest changing "e-course" to either "ecourse" or "e_course" to make things consistent)......and have yet to "edit" your Menu buttons PROPERTIES by adding the extension to the hyperlink for each page.

I might add that your "depression e-course" button label needs to be shortened, so it does not exceed button size. I am sure you can be briefer than you have it now, right? How about simply "online course" or "study online"??? remember, this is just a button label, and you can have the page named as it is....

Comment

• patbosman
                          Corporal

• Aug 2007

Hi all I think I got it right at last. I have republished all my pages please let me know that it works. thank you all for being sooooooo! good about it.

patbosman.com (ewqtxqm)

Comment

• LadyEye
                            General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

I wonder what it might look like if you had a white shape, '800 x ur length placed on all of your pages underneath of your page content and on top of the royal bluebackground, I am thinking it would brighten up your overall look, and what it would look like by adding a 1-2pt frame around your images. Great navigation while it might even be a bit nicer if it were in the exact spot on all of your pages, you could try that. (You could do this by copy & pasting from one page to the other using the C & P tools at the top of page toolbar menu) (not real fond of that yellow around the word YOU, are you? lol) Some of your mouseover buttons are not the same as others, you might think of picking ones the same all of the way ... your page content is nicely laid out and looks like you have great content

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• patbosman
                              Corporal

• Aug 2007

Hi to all I have taken the above advice and republished all the pages with the changes.
                              One last thing to do is the "order" page I need to be able to let people download a doc from word how do I do that?

Once again thank you to all who helped to get this far I am thrilled.

You guys are great.

patbosman.com (ewqtxqm)

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

(Do a Forum Search on "PDF Downloads", and another one on how to covert documents to PDF --- I personally use this one.)

....and on we go....

Comment

Working...
                                X