• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acaruthers
    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

New Salesman Website

This is my first try at a website. I am a Sales Consultant (currently at a Mercedes dealership). Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know how the guestbook works? I tried to do like the video said but it didn't work. Also, can you review comments in the guestbook before they are posted to the site?

www.richardnormancars.com

Thanks
  • acaruthers
    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Re: New Salesman Website

I would really like some feedback on how to make my page better.

Comment

• Jeremy
      Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Hey there,

For some reason the kind of cars you're selling tells me you need something much more professional for the buyer. "Something more classy" if you know what I mean?

You need a theme and you need a logo, first thing you should do is get yourself a logo...

I would also suggest some nice pictures of cars on the home page to know that you're selling cars and not just talking about them.
      Best regards,
      Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

• Jeremy
        Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

I also just noticed your website is made for a screen size bigger than 800 rez. maybe not the smartest decision.

People are still using smaller screens .. I know, I know .. we all hate that! haha!

By the way I love the building!
        Best regards,
        Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

• acaruthers
          Sergeant

• Jan 2008

My main office is at Mercedes, but we also have 8 other dealerships that I sometimes work from. What would you suggest for a "classy" layout? Also I wasn't sure about putting just Mercedes on the front page. I didn't want to scare off clients who might be interested in a different type of car.

How do I change the resolution for the screen size?

Comment

• Jeremy
            Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

You're going to have to make it only 800pixels wide (which requires you to restart your whole website) ... Basically you just have to move everything and don't pass the 800px limit.

I would suggest some kind of splash page (intro page) that would say welcome with a car and your logo. There can be a car in a banner that will change every so often with the logo's somewhere to show your clients you're for different types of brands.

Once they enter by choosing the brand of car they want to see first or just the whole gallery?
            Best regards,
            Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

• nzbr
              Lieutenant Colonel

• Dec 2006

Hi,

Agree with Jeremy: 800 will be the width limit and the nice mercedes building picture I would put on the main page. Your photo would go in "About me".
              Just a few ideas...

Cheers,
              N Z B R
              t o u r s
              New Zealand Tours
              Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
              Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
              Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
              Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

• acaruthers
                Sergeant

• Jan 2008

OK, I changed most of the website around. Please review and let me know what you think. Also thanks for all the feedback so far. It has beenvery helpful.

Comment

• angstless
                  First Sergeant

• Dec 2007

I really like your website, it looks very professional, the link buttons could be longer since a couple of links overwrite the white space and there is plenty of room but I am not the one to tell you how to make a link button longer, I have that problem myself and had to change what the link said!

the learning curve is tremendous even with the simple to use Blue Voda website builder!

(is there a spell checker here?)

Comment

• acaruthers
                    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

I wondered about the button too. I did not see a way to make the button longer or the font smaller. I don't think there is a spell checker either. Thanks for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Jeremy
                      Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Great improvement compared to the first time :)
                      Best regards,
                      Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

• Bethers
                        Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

I disagree about 800 wide and build at 1000 wide now. But you defintely want to keep most people in mind and stay at 1000 or less.

I do like the changes you've made - but agree that you could make this much more classical - which I think would help your website - by going with more stark contrasts, and a more polished design.

Just my feeling on what you're doing.
                        Beth
                        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Jeremy
                          Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Bethers, the world is not yet ready for 1000.
                          Best regards,
                          Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

• whiteshepherd
                            Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

it is looking much better ... well done ... but I still think it is too wide for the amount of content on the page ... also maybe consider adding a border to the page around the content to give it a more finished look ...

also maybe consider dropping the size of the logos at the bottom of the page ... some seem to be poor quality and and they are just too big for the size of the page ...

I also suggest you add a copyright to the site ... all your pages need unique names to help search engines .... on your contact me page why not add a contact form for your visitors to automatically email you an enquiry ...

GOod luck with it all ....
                            kym, merlin & tala
                            creating white majick
                            www.whiteshepherds.com.au
                            www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
                            www.merlinsmajick.com
                            www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

• Bethers
                              Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Jeremy,
                              This is not the place to argue - in this person's thread.

However, 80% of people are now on 1024 or wider (actually more than 85% of the visitors to my sites in the last 6 months are). So it's up to who is building the site whether or not they feel that's ok.

I have been on 1000 wide for my stores for more than a year now. I have seen my sales rise and my conversion rate is above average on both stores I have designed this way.

That said - even some of the big names are starting to redesign their sites at wider than 800. Yahoo mail's beta version (which really isn't beta anymore) is a case in point. Yes, they give people the option to go back if they don't have the resolution necessary, but they did this because the 800 wide will become a thing of the past - and each year gets closer.

That said - you do realize there are even still some screens out there at 600 wide. So to truly get 100% - you'd have to stay within that LOL

I'm not advocating everyone change from 800 wide. But going to 1000 is a viable alternative for many people building websites today. And to me, is better than a fluid website - which changes how it appears on all browsers. It takes real talent to have that work and look good on all widths. Most fall flat.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - and I think your site is looking better.
                              Beth
                              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                              X