Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new site - your opinion

Hi,
    just completed a few pages of our new web site. It is my first own site and I would like to have your opinion about it.
    Thanks in advance.
    www.vitagolf.org

Re: Our new site - your opinion

You need to give your pages titles for se optimisation.
    Your site is too wide. It should be no more than 1000 pixels.
    Most of your menu links don't work.
    The images on your 'Tower Links' page take too long to download. recompress them.

Comment

Hi, ditto with the images. Front page took about 30 to 40 seconds to load. Some of the header images are over 1000kb each & should be looking at around 50 to 80kb in total.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks for your comments, AJ.....
        When I design the page, I am using existing pages...and save a new page with different name once I finish design...Was I wrong?
        Then when I look at the left upper corner of the web page...I can see the title of all pages as "Home"....All pages with the same title....But in BlueVoda file they have different name...
        How can I title my pages?

What did you mean saying not more than 1000 pixels? For example, the size of the "Tower Links"page is just 24Kb....
        How can I manage the size of the page?
        www.vitagolf.org

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
          Hi, ditto with the images. Front page took about 30 to 40 seconds to load. Some of the header images are over 1000kb each & should be looking at around 50 to 80kb in total.
          Thanks, Chris! I got it. Will change the sizes of images.
          May be it is the reason why my site is too wide????
          www.vitagolf.org

Comment

Hi, the "Tower Links" page is well over 4 meg (i stopped counting at 4 meg) This is mainly down to image size. Have a look at the image tips in the links below. The page width is adjusted via the page properties. But! if you place something on the page larger than the size you set the page at, it will auto size to the larger item. Its not a bad idea to make sure that the guide settings are showing the out line of what area of the page you should be working in. This is under the layout tab on the BV menu.

Good luck.
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Chris,
              can you tell me how I can manage the size of the menu bar?
              It is too long now...

For example, I made the outline 1190 x 600 now....but the menu bar (green one) is out of this size....How can I manage it?
              www.vitagolf.org

Comment

Hi, you need to aim at a page width of some ware between 780 & 1000 max. If you go beyond this, you will get side scroll. With the menu, i can only suggest a smaller style or a text menu to reduce the size. Maybe even a drop style if you plan to add more pages at a latter date.
                Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris!
                  I guess I will need to re-design my home page...I will do it tomorrow.

Just only 1 more question to you: How can I title my pages?
                  I want to keep on each page the header from home page. Does it mean that I have to start each new page from the blank page if I want to create page with different title?
                  www.vitagolf.org

Comment

I changed the sizes of images on the Home page and changed set up of the page itselve.
                    Please can you look on it.

I tried to place the table with designed web site in the middle of the screen but it is unsuccessful.
                    I tried to request Center position in the page properties but it does not work. How can I position my site in the middle of the web screen?
                    www.vitagolf.org

Comment

Hi, the images are a lot better & load very quick.
                      with the page, you have it set for 900 wide (which is good) But the elements on the page are larger. IE the table is set at a width:1102px;height:702px. So the page will be 202 wider than needed. Not sure if you have it turned on or not? But on the top menu, go to Layout>Guide settings & tick the Show Guide Boarders: This will give you the 900 area you set up marked out on the page. Anything you place on the page, must be within this area. If you happen to find that the whole 900 size wasn't needed? what i tend to do is look for the widest part of the page & just for a way of measuring, pop a shape on your BV page & push it fully over to the left & then drag the right hand side out to the far right of the widest object on the page. Now see what it measures in the dimensions box in the bottom right of your BV screen. If its (lets say) 878 set your page width to 878 & tick the center box. Deleat the shape you used as a measuring stick & preview.
                      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Edelweiss View Post
                        Thanks for your comments, AJ.....
                        When I design the page, I am using existing pages...and save a new page with different name once I finish design...Was I wrong?
                        No you were right!
                        Then when I look at the left upper corner of the web page...I can see the title of all pages as "Home"....All pages with the same title....But in BlueVoda file they have different name...
                        How can I title my pages?
                        Right click on your page anywhere there is a blank space. A menu will appear, choose Page Properties. Then you can change the width of your page, you can choose to center the page in your browser, and you can write a page title.

What did you mean saying not more than 1000 pixels? For example, the size of the "Tower Links"page is just 24Kb....
                        How can I manage the size of the page?
                        I think Chris has covered this now.

As for your menu bar, it's back to the drawing board I'm afraid. If it is wider than your page then your whole page will be that width. Try this: Copy the menu bar and paste it so that you have two menu bars. Now edit them so that you have the first four buttons in one, and the last four buttons in the other. Position one above the other on the page, this will give you the same menu bar but half the size.

You may have to reposition your header images too for the same reason.

Comment

Thanks for your help!
                          If you look at my home page, you will see that the site is located on the right side of the screen window.
                          How can I place the page in the middle of the screen? I tried thepage poperties, layout...but nothing happen...
                          Please help....
                          www.vitagolf.org

Comment

Read the final paragraph of my previous post.

Comment

Hello AJ,
                              in your last paragraph you were talking about menu bar....I am OK with the size of menu bar....

If you look at my home page now, you will see that all information placed on the left side of the screen. I need to move all page in the middle of the web screen...How to do it?

It shoud be like this: Page table with blue background and all info should be in the middle of page....and dark green background color should be from both sides od the page. How to do it? Please help.
                              www.vitagolf.org

Comment

Working...
                              X