• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picardowoods
    Corporal

• Jan 2008

This is where I should have posted my 1st link

Sorry about posting in my intro, I saw some one else do it - whoops

Here it is anyway, I would like your opinions please.

Thanks

Carl - croxtonk.com
  • sedona
    Major General

• Jun 2007

Re: This is where I should have posted my 1st link

Hello again Carl, nice to see you here :)

A very professional design and excellent work. Very crisp, clean and professional. Good attention to detail. Anything I might suggest in terms of presentation are really just matters of personal preference.

But you need to do your SEO homework and put it into play as soon as possible or your hard work will never be seen. Your pages are not titled and you have done no meta tag work at all. Please have a long look at Beth's SEO- The Basics. You will find it in her signature in any of her posts.( I find myself saying this so often that I should get a cut except that Beth gives it away free and it's one of the best freebies you'll ever find.)
    But excellent work in my opinion and best of luck to you!
    Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

• picardowoods
      Corporal

• Jan 2008

Hi Sedona

Many thanks for the review, I thought I had done the meta tag section, though I did make them site wide rather than page specific, I'll chase those down later and I'll check the titles.

Thanks again.

Carl

Comment

• PlayItByBeer
        Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Hi Carl,

As per sedona your 'home page' content is light on keywords which you would be listed for on SE's. Do you want the adverts to receive so much attention? More importantly they open over your site (rather set the links target to 'blank')

Looking nice and clean.
        Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
        Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
        Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
        BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

• picardowoods
          Corporal

• Jan 2008

Hi Andrew

Thanks for looking the site over.

The links are supplier links rather than adverts, purely to give additional ideas to potential customers and they do balance the column nicely.

I will change the link target values today, that presentation point had gone right over the top, and I missed the obvious beneficial point of it being still open when the linked pages are closed - thank you.

The topic of SEO was VERY lightly covered at college, but is clearly the most important aspect of design and clearly my weakest at the moment.

Thanks again

Carl

Comment

• picardowoods
            Corporal

• Jan 2008

Hi Andrew & Ken

Could you guys have another look at my SEOs, I've had a session on them and I would like your opinion, I've also changed the link targets as you suggested and increased the text to better reflect the keyword and SEO requirements - I think?

Carl

Comment

• PlayItByBeer
              Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Carl,
              Your present home page is an 'about us' page maybe consider making it your about us page and utilize your index page as a true landing page... catch my attention, tell me what you are going to do for me and why I should read further...

I don't see much change in keyword strength and SEO of the home page eg. Your first line "Both Colin & Gary have worked individually in this area for many years..." SE's need to be reminded of what "area" this is & often LOL

Better SEO: We have years of experience in garden landscaping and spe******e in personalised garden layout and professional garden design... Obviously you have researched your keywords (search words) and need to incorporate these words within your content, page titles, picture names, alt tags, links, page names etc etc.

Cheers,
              Andrew

sigpic

Comment

• PlayItByBeer
                Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Originally posted by picardowoods View Post
                Hi Andrew

Thanks for looking the site over.

The links are supplier links rather than adverts, purely to give additional ideas to potential customers and they do balance the column nicely...

Carl
                These links run well below the rest of the page so I feel that they throw the page balance off if anything IMO

Maybe to balance your various columns or pages make use of only enough links to align them with the "© JPS 2008 - All content copyright..." or the bottom of the different pages.

Cheers,
                Andrew

sigpic

Comment

• picardowoods
                  Corporal

• Jan 2008

Hi Andrew,

I was thinking of the left-right balance. Something must be working, this thread now comes up on google just under the listing.

I have made a new home page etc and hopefully sorted out the metatag issues, I know you have looked at it twice already, and if its not three strikes and its out, would you be so good as to have another.

Carl

Comment

• sedona
                    Major General

• Jun 2007

Originally posted by picardowoods View Post
                    Hi Andrew,

I was thinking of the left-right balance.1/ Something must be working, this thread now comes up on google just under the listing.

I have made a new home page etc and 2/ hopefully sorted out the metatag issues, I know you have looked at it twice already, and if its not three strikes and its out, would you be so good as to have another.

Carl
                    Hi Carl,

1/ Google spiders this forum. It doesn't have anything to do with your site
                    except that they pick up ypur url. Still a good thing.

2/ Home page looks cleaner without the adverts and it does tell us more about you. Don't see enough improvement in meta tags and seo work - still no descriptions for instance. Your use of alt tags in images can still be improved. (your header on index page says Colin and Gary's header for instance). I would *******te the text that the spider can't see if it were me.

Lots of hard work here, Carl, and you should be feeling good about it. We don't mean to tear you down - just help you get to the next step. Keep at it. Most of us are constantly tweaking our sites as we learn new ways to improve.
                    Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

• Collectors-info
                      General

• Feb 2006

Hi, great looking site & real fast loading. Done a nice job with the gallery & optimised the images well. (A few could learn from this site) lol.
                      Will need to get some tags in for key words related to the pages text in the heading of each page. But otherwise a great job.

Good luck.
                      PS. What software did you use for the site?
                      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• picardowoods
                        Corporal

• Jan 2008

Hi Ken
                        Thanks again for taking another look at it for me, I get what you mean about the alt tag labeling I'll sort that out over the next day or two.

Still not entirely clear what constitutes a good description though?

I'm here to learn so any constructive critiscism is useful.

Hi Chris

Thanks also for taking a look, and for the praise, I was pleased with the way the gallery turned out, just need to get some extra/updated pics in a few of them, this summer, to fill out the blanks.

Apart from the graphic elements, the site was put together in DW8 and was mostly done before I joined here.

Thanks and regards

Carl

Comment

Working...
                        X