• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • terryodo
    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Re-Vamped

I have been re-vamping my site, www.terryodonnellphotographs.com, have added more pages, and photos. have made the photos a little larger. This has slowed the gallery load times but not too dramatically, I live half way up a mountain in the middle of a wilderness and have a steam driven internet connection and it doesnt seem too bad. I've put a little warning and apology on my home page, would have like one of those little whirly-gigs that thanks you for waiting but am a professional do-nut by trade and it is a step beyond my back-wood intellect!. Would welcome all criticsm, hopefully constructive. Am still doing the shop, am working out codes etc etc. Still, looking forward to your comments

Terry
  • PlayItByBeer
    Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Re: Re-Vamped

Hi Terry,

Looking good. A couple of comments:
    • The black text on grey background is difficult to read.
    • Consider spitting your galleries up into two smaller galleries (maybe 'black and white' and 'colour') because lightbox is great but if a visitor jumps the gun while your present long gallery is loading lightbox doesn't work.
    • Remove the spaces between words when saving your pics to get rid of all the % signs (make use of _ or -)
    • You need to do plenty of SEO of your pages (keywords, titles etc) Beth to the rescue
    • Consider naming your galleries (eg Gallery 1 could be Beach Gallery etc)
    • What about protection of your art????
    Great Photo's.

Cheers,
    Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
    Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
    Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
    BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

• terryodo
      Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Hello Andrew
      thank you for your observations and I am looking at my options now regarding text/background. Will change the 'save' names of the photos too, but not all at once, theres 125+ of them!! Also like the split gallery idea and will experiment. As for protection, following your comment I've bought a watermark software that will put very subtle copyrights on the photos, I was reluctant to do so because I didn't want to spoil the pictures for people who just wanted to look at them, if you know what I mean, at the same time, I do have to eat and pay bills so don't want truck-loads of freeloaders taking what they want!
      Again, many thanks for your observations, the appreciation is genuine

Terry

Comment

• alas
        Captain

• May 2006

Very beautiful.
        I do not have any other comments!
        Alas
        Set by the Indian Ocean, Mediterraneo provides affordable accommodation, conference facilities and the best restaurant in Dar es Salaam.

Comment

• terryodo
          Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Thankyou Alas, you made an old man happy with those few words and I am grateful

Terry

Comment

• choco777
            Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Very nicely done. Photos are well done. Loaded quickly. Congratulations.
            Choco777
            www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• terryodo
              Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Thankyou choco777, doing this with Bluevoda and reading up on all the different forums has made it possible, it is a great place to be

Comment

• MoodyMare
                Second Lieutenant

• Aug 2007

I love the black and white effect on the index page. Makes it very classy. I do strongly agree with Andrew about nameing the galleries by category. If the viewer is in a hurry (and who isn't now a days), it may deter them from opening each "gallery" to see your beautiful work!
                Congrats on an excellent site!
                www.reikiforhorses.ca
                Balance Your Horse's Energy For Self-Healing
                www.lucynixon.ca
                Reiki For Pets and Their People
                www.ufindahorse.com
                Work In Progress

Comment

• jerryl
                  First Sergeant

• Feb 2008

I like your site Terry. I'm new at this myself, but I found your site very pleasing to the eye. I've liked the photos especially the black and whites.
                  Jerrl

Comment

• MADinMelbourne
                    Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2007

very stunning pics... mesmerising. I love photo's of people and found that I had to go thru each gallery to find out what type of pics would be there... the buttons could be a little more enticing to 'intertwine' with your commentary ie 'interwoven existences' rather than 'gallery 4'. I found reading about you a little difficult... a larger font or two columns perhaps... and personally the equipment you use is a little over my head... perhaps an equipment page for those interested. When reading about Terry, I'd like to know about Terry... and see a few photo's of Terry down the side. The world you're talking about is being created on the web, and I'd like to see who's created these amazing photo's. Two more questions.... can these photo's be used for backgrounds on sites? And, have you thought about a newsletter to let people know when new photo's are posted? A B S O L U T E L Y S T U N N I N G photographs... thanks for sharing!
                    www.madinmelbourne.com.au
                    the ART of Making A Difference

Comment

• whiteshepherd
                      Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

arhhh ... see you have changed the text colour and lightened the banner ... looks good ... one small thing you migh like to consider is adding an extra line at the end of each paragraph it will help the readability ...

otherwise absolutely stunning site ... with some tweaking over the coming months yu should be very happy ... I also agree with naming the galleries ... and something I do is try and get the photos of an approximate size and shape and group them together then I specify a thumbnail size ...

wedll done ...
                      kym, merlin & tala
                      creating white majick
                      www.whiteshepherds.com.au
                      www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
                      www.merlinsmajick.com
                      www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

• terryodo
                        Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Hello
                        Wow, I'm rather stunned by the post's and think I need to reply to you all individually as I feel rather humbled by your reactions to my efforts. I've been away over the weekend and having just returned need to digest the suggestions and work out how to do the changes, particularly the naming of galleries which is a unanimous opinion.
                        My thanks to you all is heartfelt. Thankyou
                        Terry

Comment

• asirimarco
                          Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Beautiful site Terry - loads pretty fast for me and i have a sporadic satellite connection - also agree on naming the galleries. you have done a great job love your photos! went back to check - you need to title your pages - read Beths info for SEO
                          Last edited by asirimarco; 02-11-2008, 03:15 PM. Reason: add comment
                          Ann
                          www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
                          www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
                          www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

• slick1121
                            Major

• Feb 2008

Terry

I want to echo the previous comments. The photography is very professional as is the site. I love the use of thumbnails. I am not sure that is the proper term.

I noticed the word category was misspelled on the first page. Otherwise no other comments.

Comment

• john777
                              Sergeant Major

• Oct 2007

hi dont know if anyone said this but since you are a photographer I would change the image on your home page at the bottom..it is a little to blurry..maybe it's because you streched it..but i would make sure that the two photos people see first are at least in focus..
                              there are programs out there to help you stretch them and still keep their focus..
                              good job on the site..and hey I love the fact you use steam ..amazing ..you should start a site just about that!
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X